Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinescrooms
Hypothetical Casing Question
    #3601239 - 01/08/05 11:38 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

OK, I've been reading around some and I know that casing layers are non-nutritive additions that basically just supply moisture for the rest of mycelium network. With that said, it made me wonder if anyone had tried to use Perlite as an entire casing substitute rather than 50/50, etc since it retains moisture so well...? I'm not sure if it would work, but I was just pondering and curious if anyone knew. Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineonetime
onetime
 User Gallery

Re: Hypothetical Casing Question [Re: scrooms]
    #3601259 - 01/08/05 11:41 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

its not good thats all i know

you want to use vermiculite

--------------------

See?
Yes, with my own three eyes.
Depression, Misspells , wanting everying thing i cant have haveing nothing i want

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #3601274 - 01/08/05 11:44 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

It's been done but I don't remember who posted it or what the results were. It must not have been very impressive. Try doing a search in posts over a year old. Good luck.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hypothetical Casing Question [Re: dog]
    #3601501 - 01/09/05 12:37 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Perlite doesn't hold water it wicks it, it is non absorbant. Verm on the other have is very absorbant and when combined with a good structural ammendment such as peat or coir it makes for the perfect microclimate for pin development and maturation.

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.

Loc: Middle of nowhere
Re: Hypothetical Casing Question [Re: hyphae]
    #3601632 - 01/09/05 01:13 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

perlite DOES hold water, just not as much as verm. plus perlite is not good for you to eat. :frown: ick.

i've had a cake fall into my perlite before and i got awesome pinning on it though. with misting to keep the perlite wet and the water constantly evaporating, it seemed to work well... but pickinng all the perlite out was too much of a pain in the ass because it was the same color as the myc/stems.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #3601733 - 01/09/05 01:42 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

50/50 verm/coir would serve you better, IMHO

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hypothetical Casing Question [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3603706 - 01/09/05 01:50 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

ZeroArmy27 said:
perlite DOES hold water, just not as much as verm. plus perlite is not good for you to eat. :frown: ick.

i've had a cake fall into my perlite before and i got awesome pinning on it though. with misting to keep the perlite wet and the water constantly evaporating, it seemed to work well... but pickinng all the perlite out was too much of a pain in the ass because it was the same color as the myc/stems.

You do not understand let me explain this in simpler terms take 1 cup of perlite weigh it dry and do the same with verm. Now saturate them both and drain until they stop dripping. Now weigh them again and you will hopefully have found an answer, I hope :wink: Mushrooms have a voracious appetite for water as they mature which perlite can't even come close to providing. Now as far as those cakes on that perlite thats the wicking effect is was talking about earlier. GL Bro
Two facts:
#1 Perlite is non absorbant
#2 Vermiculite is very absorbant :wink:

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies