Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinezorak
Stranger
can i sterilize vermiculite/perlite in the microwave?
    #3514490 - 12/17/04 04:42 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

i got some jars currently dunking so I'm going to start making my fruiting chamber right now, with perlite, and im going to be rolling them in vermiculite in a few hours. i have read in the faq that it's ok to sterilize casing in the microwave, so i know that it's ok to do that to my vermiculite, but it didn't say anything about perlite. is that ok in the microwave, too?

p.s. - i've heard from some people that the perlite and vermiculite are already sterile in the bag, but i know this cannot be true because the bags have holes in them for unsterile air to get in and out.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
Re: can i sterilize vermiculite/perlite in the microwave? [Re: zorak]
    #3514510 - 12/17/04 04:47 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Do self favor .......... save up .............think big ..............get one of these or similar one
You will not be sorry you did .
Perlite comes sterile so to say , but once you open the bag it is no longer sterile  :wink:
Verm is far from being sterile out of the bag  :thumbdown:

Never done any of those microwave teks , and nor would I rely on them
Good Luck

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.

Loc: Middle of nowhere
Re: can i sterilize vermiculite/perlite in the microwave? [Re: tripndicular]
    #3514514 - 12/17/04 04:49 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

i've used a microwave tek with varying results. about 10% of the time i got a contam problem, so i just PC everything now. :smile:

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #3514515 - 12/17/04 04:50 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Can't sterlize in a microwave but you can pastuerize.

My process, 10 min on high,set 3 min then stir,10 min more on high.Let cool and use.

GL

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

OfflineHerbin_Legend
Stranger
    #3514529 - 12/17/04 04:55 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Short answer: Yes. You CAN sterilize them in the microwave.

Long answer: It is usually unnecessary to sterilize perlite because it has no nutritional value to contaminants, but if you are that concerned, then just microwave your perlite/vermiculite (My buddy recommends perlite) for 10 minutes or so. The microwaves themself penetrate and kill most organic cells and microbes on contact, and the things that it doesn't kill on contact will be killed by induced heat. The longer you microwave, the better. But a friend of mine has nuked his stuff for as little as 7 minutes and has gotten no contams through non-sterilization.

--------------------
"nothing is fool proof for fools are ingenious and will find a way" - Prisoner #1

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Re: can i sterilize vermiculite/perlite in the microwave? [Re: Herbin_Legend]
    #3514558 - 12/17/04 05:03 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Back that up with some data.You could convert my thinking.

--------------------

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
Re: can i sterilize vermiculite/perlite in the microwave? [Re: Herbin_Legend]
    #3514571 - 12/17/04 05:08 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Herbin_Legend said:
Short answer: Yes. You CAN sterilize them in the microwave.

Long answer:  It is usually unnecessary to sterilize perlite because it has no nutritional value to contaminants, but if you are that concerned, then just microwave your  perlite/vermiculite (My buddy recommends perlite) for 10 minutes or so.  The microwaves themself penetrate and kill most organic cells and microbes on contact, and the things that it doesn't kill on contact will be killed by induced heat. The longer you microwave, the better.  But a friend of mine has nuked his stuff for as little as 7 minutes and has gotten no contams through non-sterilization.

Contams can be present irregardless of nute values  :wink:

Perlite is made by heating (pumice?) it to 800*F , that is why it is "believed' to be sterile out of the bag . But once opened , spores can land on it , and so can many other forms of contam , will they grow on the perlite ......NO, due to lack of nutes and proper enviro . But once intorduced to right living enviro they will germ and grow .

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
    #3514653 - 12/17/04 05:33 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Thats the same (heat in process) with vermiculite, it is heated so the stoney stuff expands. At this factory the Perlite is heated higher then 1600F actually.
Vermiculite is heated up to 1400F.
Hehe both hotter then .....

PERLITE:

Crude perlite is an inorganic rock, which is formed during volcanic eruptions.
The rock is purified and broken into different grades. Pull processes the material in specially built furnaces at a temperature of approximately 950 ?C.
During this process of expansion, the chemically bound water in the ore evaporates, leaving a porous whitish lightweight granule.

VERMICULITE:
Vermiculite is a member of the phyllosilicate group of minerals, resembling mica. Raw vermiculite is an ore, which consists of golden brown "flakes" with a layered structure. The mineral is a purified and separated into different grades. Pull processes the material in specially built furnaces at a temperature of approximately 750 ?C. During this proces, the chemically bound water in the ore, evaporates, leading to the exfoliation of the material. A granule is formed with a concertina-like structure, which contains a lot of air pockets. These air pockets are the main features, which makes vermiculite useful to horticulture.

Source: http://www.pullrhenen.nl/substraat_engels.htm

--------------------

Offlinezorak
Stranger
Re: can i sterilize vermiculite/perlite in the microwave? [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3514678 - 12/17/04 05:42 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

hey i just realized, the vermiculite is supposed to be dry when i roll my cakes in it, but i have to get it wet to sterilize it in the microwave, so i guess that isn't an option. how else can i sterilize the verm.? do i really need to?

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

#3514881 - 12/17/04 06:53 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I don't for pf cakes.

--------------------

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
    #3516408 - 12/18/04 06:23 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I havent sterilized my verm for the cakes. LOl but only rolled 2 of them untill now... but with fruiting results.

You can put the verm in the oven for a while. :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Re: can i sterilize vermiculite/perlite in the microwave? [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3516582 - 12/18/04 08:11 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Well, I too am going to be confronted with this problem very shortly.
After some thought, both the verm and perlite will be moistened with 10% solution. Will this work for pf?

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

Offlinezorak
Stranger
Re: can i sterilize vermiculite/perlite in the microwave? [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #3516633 - 12/18/04 08:40 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

well i decided to just roll them in unsterilized verm, which actually tirned out harder than i thought it would be. i found that the wet verm was actually a lot easier to get it to stick to the cake, the dry verm just kept falling off.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract