Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejihead
addict
what can i expect?
    #349468 - 06/26/01 05:01 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

being a lazy and a big fan of taking the half-assed approach, i went to my local supermarket and picked up a bottle of McCormick poppy seeds. like johnny poppy seed, i just broadcasted them across the various flower beds and pots in my back yard. well, to my surprise, a few days later, i had a bunch of green sprouts. one flower pot was almost covered with them. well, after 10 inches of rain a few nights ago, most of the seedlings have survived and are starting to grow. my question is, how much room do the poppies need in relation to other plants and what type of yield could i expect from say, 50 plants?

--------------------
kill white noise

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePhyl
old hand
Loc: United Kingdom
Re: what can i expect? [Re: jihead]
    #349793 - 06/27/01 03:21 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Although all poppies contain a degree of morphine, the chances of you getting any effect from your poppies are extremely slim. Go and buy some Papaver Somniferum seeds and try again.

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: what can i expect? [Re: Phyl]
    #349832 - 06/27/01 06:03 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

according to informed sources, most breadseed poppies are P somniferum (altho they may not be high yielding varieties)
if you are growing them for tea-brewing, 5-10 pods per teapot is typical; if you are gonna collect the sap & cook it down to O, well better try www.poppies.org for more info (?)
the plants like a fair amount of space, and each plant may have a few or more than a dozen pods, from the size of your thumb to bigger than an egg...
good luck... fifty plants might be milked for a few grams of O, and the spent (milked) pods & poppy straw might give up another few grams to an alcohol extraction...
alkaloid yield from sap, pods, & straw can vary widely (there is info in books & journals; i dunno about online, but maybe)
remember to obey the writ of the realm (don't break any laws with those pretty flowers, ok?)

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals