Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblezeuzjuz
kicker of elves
Legalizing marijuana to save the U.S economy!!
    #349261 - 06/26/01 10:09 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Think about it... If pot were legalized, the government is definitely gonna have alot of control over it's sale/taxing/etc.... And that is fine, that is the way it's done in Amsterdam, and it works great. All of the people who smoke it now, would still be willing to pay a fairly high price for it if it were legal. I mean, wouldn't you pay 30-40 bucks for a quarter of weed that was properly grown and taken care of/harvested/etc?? I would, I pay more than that now. And if the government were getting a cut from that, think of the implications. I mean, how much lettuce or cabbage do you have to grow to bring in 30-40 bucks? Pounds? Tens of pounds? But with marijuana, us smokers would be willing to pay anywhere from 10-50 for 7 little grams! Talk about worth it's weight in gold! Damn! Of course, the government wouldn't be receiving all of this, but if they received even one dollar or fifty cents from each marijuana transaction, then we could save the economy! How many marijuana transactions go on everyday? Not to mention the money to be made in the industry of harvesting hemp for other purposes. It would be our number one cash crop! (It aslready is, but not legally). I am sick of government control as much as the next guy, but I wouldn't be opposed to marijuana carrying a tax on it like alcohol or cigarettes. An even higher one would be ok with me. We are already paying such high prices for such little amounts of plant matter, the government could make billions, while we would still be paying what we are used to paying, or less, and without the fear of doing something 'bad' or 'illegal'. I mean, let's face it America, like 30% of the population smokes marijuana or has at some point (I don't have an exact figure on this, I doubt there is one, since not everyone would admit to smoking it anyway). Oh, and besides all the money to be made in selling hemp products and marijuana, we would also be SAVING upwards of $20k a year for each person NOT imprisoned for selling marijuana. The jails would be less crowded, leaving more room for the real criminals like rapists and murderers. Are people that smoke a plant other than tobacco criminals? Hell no! This shit has got to stop. I am just pointing out that the government/country would greatly benefit from legalization, not just the tokers. Damn, I am preaching to the converted. I need to be writing this to my senator.

//sananaB cinataS tronS I//

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinehunterthompson
I climb rocks

Re: Legalizing marijuana to save the U.S economy!! [Re: zeuzjuz]
    #349263 - 06/26/01 10:19 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

alot of the money made my pot sales is reinvested in the economy but tou do have a point how many off shore acounts are drug related.

OfflineCrobih
rap-cord
Loc: cave
    #349379 - 06/26/01 02:38 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

The prices of weed would drop, because everybody would grown their own (unless licencing, but again there would be much more people growing GOOD weed). So goverment would earn less money then they earn now.
Sorry z

Anonymous

Re: Legalizing marijuana to save the U.S economy!! [Re: Crobih]
    #349410 - 06/26/01 03:22 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

The gov. would definitely sell licenses and such so they could keep a stranglehold on its distribution. However, assuming they didn't, the gov would still net a profit. the DEA would die. the number of inmates in prisons would drastically be cut. the stupid ad campaigns they run would be ca-pputt. All that saves the gov $$$, even if they never saw a red cent from direct taxation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thoughts follow my vision and dance in the sun

OfflinePhyl
old hand
Loc: United Kingdom
    #349772 - 06/27/01 02:36 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

For a scheme such as this to work, the legal supply of weed would have to significantly undercut the prices of weed available on the black market.

OfflinePhyl
old hand
Re: Legalizing marijuana to save the U.S economy!! [Re: ]
    #349773 - 06/27/01 02:37 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

I don't think the legalisation of cannabis alone would have such a dramatic effect. This could only be achieved through the legalisation of all drugs, specifically including heroin.

Invisiblezeuzjuz
kicker of elves
Re: Legalizing marijuana to save the U.S economy!! [Re: Phyl]
    #349951 - 06/27/01 10:57 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Phyl, I don't agree that the price of 'legal weed' would have to significantly undercut the price of weed on the streets for people to choose the 'legal weed' I mean think about it, if you had the choice of paying 45 dollars for a bag of weed in a hash shop, where you could inquire about the strain, the type, etc, and know what you were getting, or paying 40 dollars to buy the same size bag of weed from a weird looking guy in an alley, even though his price is cheaper, wouldn't you go the extra 5 bucks to know what you were getting? Like in Amsterdam, there is still illegal weed market in spite of there being 'legal' hash bars. But why would you take a trip to Amsterdam and buy weed on the street when they have bars where you can go in and sample 9 different types before you even make a purchase?

--------------------

Invisiblezeuzjuz
kicker of elves
    #349952 - 06/27/01 11:00 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

And anyway, I don't think this would ever be a problem anyway, as if marijuana were legalized, the prices for legal pot probably would be way lower than street price. I mean, if you are farming something legally, and can make even 10 dollars off of 7 grams of plant matter, that is still more money pund for pound than ANY farm-able product I can think of. Most of the reason for the high street prices of things like cocaine and marijuana are not that the materials really are expensive and hard to come by, it's just the price you pay for the risks involved.

--------------------

OfflinePhyl
old hand
    #350029 - 06/27/01 12:42 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

But if the shops were charging 40 dollars, the street dealers would drop their prices to 35 to keep their business.

The only way to make this work effectivly would be to sell weed so cheap in the shops that it woul be uneconomical/not worth the risk for the street dealers to bother

OfflineCrobih
rap-cord
    #350148 - 06/27/01 02:52 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Imagine you and bunch of your friends growing your own ganja. The fines could not ne huge for that, and it would deffinitelly worth risking. You wont go to jail because of that. So all in all there will be much more ganja. And there would be easier to choose the best offer for you, so market will answer this 2 new facts buy huge droping of prices. When you see MJ plant you can harvest 300g on average. 300gs would deffinitelly be ebough for me per year...and I would deffinitelly grow it in that situation, as many others would. But that would mean there would be so much ganja and so little risk about it all that prices (at least on black market) would be let me say 5 bucks of best for oz-->>>>> it all lead to minor profit----->>>>no interest for goverment.
PS The netherland phenomen you can understand when you see that this ratio demand / offer is still on pretty high level because of tourist from all parts of world.

Edited by Crobih on 06/27/01 04:57 PM.

Anonymous

#350183 - 06/27/01 03:53 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

I don't think that a whole ton of people would start growing like that, Crobih. Think of all the college kids and such. they wanna get high but they don't wanna have to worry about growing their own shit. Then there are alot of people who just don't have the time or patience to grow their own.
I dunno, I could be way off here, but it seems like that the vast majority of smokers would be content to walk down to the local smoke shop and order some of their fav strain and get high, even if they did have to pay a bit more than if they grew their own or bought questionable stuff on the black market.

OfflineCrobih
rap-cord
    #350246 - 06/27/01 05:33 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

To shorten this shit.
Real price of this shit if it was legal could not get these astronomic numbers. It would be expensive less than any tea.You forgot the fact that we are talking about WEED.

PS this explaining pissed me off. First time after a long time. I mean is this evaluating that hard to understand? Jesus lord. I will never look in this thread again. But please, just try to complenate this what I am talking about. It is about market principles, not kids from high school.

InvisibleLallafa
p_g monocle
 User Gallery

Loc: underbelly
    #350329 - 06/27/01 07:31 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Crobih is the right one. prices would go WAY DOWN, and the gov could never really "control" it cause why? cause you can grow your own dank!

thuggs trip on prozac?

--------------------
my tax dollars going to more hits of acid for charles manson

Offlinewindex
old hand
Re: Legalizing marijuana to save the U.S economy!! [Re: Lallafa]
    #350698 - 06/28/01 10:26 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

it would be like any other crop that farmers grow, some people have a garden and grow their own fresh veggies, and fuit. some people (like me) go and buy it. some people dont have the time, space, energy, or ability to grow things, me being one of them. so i would head to the smoke shop pick up a quarter and im on my way to pick up some carrots and potatoes cause im not going to grow those either. not as many people would jus be growing their own as some of you are making it out to sound.

You approach the turnstiles and know
that when you get there you have to give
the man two dollars or he won't let you
inside but when you get there everything
goes wrong.

Invisiblezeuzjuz
kicker of elves
Re: Legalizing marijuana to save the U.S economy!! [Re: windex]
    #350868 - 06/28/01 03:06 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks windex, stranger, for helping me get my point across... It's not like tons of people aren't guerilla farming/indoor growing right now, with it being illegal. Even if it were totally legalized, and people could even grow personal quantities, more people would opt to go to the shop and buy their pick of strains. Why? Think of jelly, you could be making your own jelly too, but you go to the grocery store and buy it right? I bet more people in Amsterdam stop by their personal favorite bar to pick up what they need daily or weekly, I doubt that many grow in their homes. Probably no more than if growing indoor were illegal. Growing takes work, and is more for hobbyist types. Alot of people suck at it and can't even keep the damn thing alive( kinda like my first and only attempt). Anyway... I forgot the original point.

--------------------

Invisiblesparki68
spawnmonger
    #351512 - 06/29/01 02:41 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

I agree dood!!, It would kill street trade of pot. The guy that is growing it for sale wouldn't lower his prices to beat out the pot bar he would just start selling to the pot bar...And I for 1 would be interested in strain,weather it was organic, ect ect. Every bag I get now is of course hydro skunk dats da bamb yo !! just ask my dealer (hehehehehehe)Do you really think Liquior cost that much ..nope it don't its heavly taxed
and you could make booze in your home but don't and I don't know any illegal producers of it either. peeps are lazy ... they would rather just goto a store and pick it up at there easyest convienince. Hell my foaf can't even get anyone to grow shrooms with him and he would be willing to do all the work, he just wants a partner to bounce ideas off of. I don't ever think it will be legalized ever though. :(

Anonymous

Re: Legalizing marijuana to save the U.S economy!! [Re: sparki68]
    #352037 - 06/30/01 03:56 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

My point exactly, Windex!

OfflineRichard_D_James
enthusiast
    #352438 - 07/01/01 11:36 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

I wouldn't bother with growing my own. Like someone said, even IF the price of weed dropped drastically, which I doubt it would, we would still save 20k$ per year, per person on people in the slammer for growing grass. ( I wonder how many there are? ) Not to mention the 16 BILLION (yes billion!) dollars a year spent on the drug war by the federal governemnt EVERY SINGLE YEAR! Not to mention the other 50$ or so billion spent by each individual state every year. That adds up to a lot of fucking cheese ladies and gents, and doing away with all that shit would definently cause economic prosperity. Not to mention our streets would be safer, because all the dealers would be out of business. Lets face it, drug sales, even for pot, cause a LOT of fucking shady activity.

Edited by Richard_D_James on 07/01/01 01:38 PM.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order