Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Got hassled by cops. Need to know what corrective action I should take as an American.
    #3479007 - 12/10/04 09:35 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I was getting out of my car to go into Home Depot and I notice someone parking in the space behind me all crooked and shit, so as I'm getting out I look to make sure I am parked correctly, and not blocking them from parking correctly. It was then I realized it was a cop, and he wanted to talk to me about something.

The first thing he mentioned was my liscense plate. It did not belong to the vehicle that I was driving. It belonged to another vehicle that belongs to me. I explained that to him and then he informed me that my car smelled like marijuana. That surprised me a little since I have never had any marijuana in that car. He asked me if I had been "burning any incense". I had not.

I should mention that My car smells strongly of something. It smells like some kind of petroleum product to me, and I thought it was just because it's a diesel. I've never driven a diesel before to know what they're supposed to smell like.

I mentioned that the car was diesel, and he informed me that he wasn't smelling diesel.

He then asked me if I had been smoking marijuana, or had been with anyone lateley that had been smoking marijuana. I said no, which was true, at least not in the last few hours.

He then asked me if he could search my vehicle. I told him that I don't consent to searches.

He said he had to call the K-9 unit, and then he had me come around the back of my car and spread my legs so he could search me. He put his hands way deep into my pockets, and deep into my groinal area from there, and patted me down thoroughly.

He didn't find anything.

While we were waiting for the K-9 officer to get there, he interrogated me about my day. (where I was headed, what was I doing at Home Depot, etc...)

It took the K-9 officer a total of about 3 minutes to get there. He askd me if I mind if he runs the dog around the car and lets him smell around. I consented to that. I didn't even think about it until later that I did in fact consent to something. I'm still not sure what the ideologically correct thing to do there would be.

The dog did his little thing, and didn't find diddly shit. I was rather relieved at that point to find out that my car did not, in fact, smell like marijuana at all. It was one non-marijuana-smellin'-like car.

He gave me a citation for the tags, and I went on to do my shopping.

On the way home it started to rain (also, it was dark). I turned on my windshield wipers and when I did I noticed something wedged up under the driver's side blade.

It was my fucking driver's liscense. I cut off the wipers, pulled over, and retrieved my liscense before it had the chance to blow away.

Did this cop do everything by the book, or did he legally violate my rights?

I feel that I was profiled. I think he saw a guy with long hair driving a $500 car and decided I was a dirty pothead that that needed to be taught some kind of lesson or something.

I really wonder whether he genuinely thought he smelled pot, or if he was just using that as a made up excuse to search me.

I feel the need to straighten someone out when I get to court. What corrective action should I as an American take now? I know I have some civil duty to try and set something straight here.

I need a plan.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Got hassled by cops. Need to know what corrective action I should take as an American. [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #3479052 - 12/10/04 09:45 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

You can file a formal complaint with the department. This can be risky as such behavior may be institutionalized within the department. You can call your mayor, your city council, you can call the news, the newspaper. Believe it or not this stuff does work.

This fall I had a problem with a LEO. She was/is still currently my neighbor. When I was moving in, my mom parked our moving van in front of her house while some other cars were parked in front of ours. Her husband came outside to tell us that is where she parks. She had my girlfriends car towed on one occasion, which cost $100 and left us no retributive recourse. On another occasion she claimed that we weren't allowed to park in front of her house because we weren't property owners and we don't pay taxes. We talked to the right people. We don't know what happened, but she doesn't park her squad at home anymore....

InvisibleShamansPalace
Tree Hugger

Loc: www.ShamansPalace.com
Re: Got hassled by cops. Need to know what corrective action I should take as an American. [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #3479068 - 12/10/04 09:47 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Just like a pig to get up in some shit like that. Figures. It has happened to me too. Didnt even smoke weed or have it within a mile of the car. Still he says i smell marijuana. Its a catch to see if you get nervous and spill ( if you have something ) or start twitching or looking to the side while talking to him and not looking him in the eyes. Sucks they get to do whatever they want whenever they want. HE was probly pissed cause he didnt get to keep that half pound of chronic or kilo of cocaine you didnt have. FUckem

--------------------
Shaman's Palace
FREE Gift's with EVERY ORDER !!
QUICK shipping !10% Shroomery Member Discount!
www.ShamansPalace.com
Questions - Sales@Shamanspalace.com

OfflineMikeOLogical
Doctor ofShroomology
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
    #3479111 - 12/10/04 09:56 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

There's not much you can do, you weren't arrested, you weren't harmed, and you did consent to the search they did.

They probably did profile you, or maybe they were expecting a deal to go down in that parking lot... either way you got out of it fine, and anything you do to antagonise the cops at this point can only lead to nothing good.

So smoke a fatty, toast up a couple of them jew kabobs you nazis are so fond of, and consider yourself lucky. :laugh:

--------------------
We got Nothing!
we're no longer selling jars.  :laugh:

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
Re: Got hassled by cops. Need to know what corrective action I should take as an American. [Re: MikeOLogical]
    #3479222 - 12/10/04 10:17 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Jew Kabobs.

Thats not Kosher.

I'll be here all night folks.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #3479242 - 12/10/04 10:20 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

He then asked me if he could search my vehicle. I told him that I don't consent to searches.

:thumbup:

Quote:

He askd me if I mind if he runs the dog around the car and lets him smell around. I consented to that. 

Nah, you should have gone all the way with it.

Quote:

I really wonder whether he genuinely thought he smelled pot, or if he was just using that as a made up excuse to search me.

See, that's exactly what i'm afraid of. This seems like a loophole in your rights. That's the police's ace in the hole. They can always just say they smelled marijuana, in order to search you right?

Glad nothing major happened though.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

OfflineMikeOLogical
Doctor ofShroomology
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
Re: Got hassled by cops. Need to know what corrective action I should take as an American. [Re: Learyfan]
    #3479263 - 12/10/04 10:23 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Actually, if smell alone gave them probable cause for a search, they wouldn't have even asked for permission... they were hoping that the dog would alert, which would have given them probable cause...

smell can come from anywhere, so a cop can't rightly say that a particular smell came from a particular direction...

--------------------
We got Nothing!
we're no longer selling jars.  :laugh:

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: Got hassled by cops. Need to know what corrective action I should take as an American. [Re: tomk]
    #3479293 - 12/10/04 10:27 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

alot of eager cops(who enjoy putting people in jail) run tags all day. i have seen them run a dozen tags sitting at a red light. they are looking for stolen cars. maybe that's what happened to you today? fix the tags and do not give them another reason to fuck with you.

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Got hassled by cops. Need to know what corrective action I should take as an American. [Re: lonestar2004]
    #3479332 - 12/10/04 10:34 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Never do two illegal things at the same time.

--------------------

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Got hassled by cops. Need to know what corrective action I should take as an American. [Re: MikeOLogical]
    #3479338 - 12/10/04 10:34 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

MikeOLogical said:
Actually, if smell alone gave them probable cause for a search, they wouldn't have even asked for permission... they were hoping that the dog would alert, which would have given them probable cause...

smell can come from anywhere, so a cop can't rightly say that a particular smell came from a particular direction...

From what I understand, if the cop had probable cause he wouldn't ask to search your car.

I got caught speeding about three years ago. Luckily I had been reading a thread about searches on The Shroomery just days prior. When he asked me if he could search my car, I told him no because I was in a hurry(which makes sence because I was speeding). He asked me where I was going and I told him that I was rushing to meet my family for dinner(this is a lie I thought in my head while he was back there writing the ticket). I then knew I had him and quickly changed the subject before he could go on about it. He let me go with a ticket. I had a little something in the trunk.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
Re: Got hassled by cops. Need to know what corrective action I should take as an American. [Re: lonestar2004]
    #3480733 - 12/11/04 04:51 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

lonestar2004 said:
alot of eager cops(who enjoy putting people in jail) run tags all day. i have seen them run a dozen tags sitting at a red light. they are looking for stolen cars. maybe that's what happened to you today? fix the tags and do not give them another reason to fuck with you.

Amen. Take care of the little things and most everything else will take care of itself. Always make sure your headlights, breaklights and tags are up to snuff. Hitler was begging for someone to pull him over in this situation. You can't give the man a reason to fuck with you and then complain about it. An ounce of prevention weighs 28 grams.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

InvisibleHendostan
I'm a teapot

Re: Got hassled by cops. Need to know what corrective action I should take as an American. [Re: JesusChrist]
    #3480753 - 12/11/04 05:19 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

See, that's exactly what i'm afraid of. This seems like a loophole in your rights. That's the police's ace in the hole. They can always just say they smelled marijuana, in order to search you right?

this is different in every state..luckily, the one i currently live in, probable cause is not enough to search you. they need a warrant no matter what, unless something is in plain view. know your state's laws, and don't ever consent to anything. if they bring the dog, keep saying "i don't consent without a warrant" be very clear, and don't say anything else, you're not required to. be polite to the cop, you don't want to get the fucking pig all excited and horny. if they try asking you a bunch of questions to confuse you, ask them one back. say "am i free to go about my business, or are you detaining me?" cause if they are detaining you, they need a damn good reason. at this point, most cops will give you the ticket and let you go.

InvisibleHendostan
I'm a teapot

Re: Got hassled by cops. Need to know what corrective action I should take as an American. [Re: Hendostan]
    #3480754 - 12/11/04 05:20 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

i don't think there's much you can do now..you consented to letting the dog sniff your car, so that pretty much waived any rights you had.

InvisibleHendostan
I'm a teapot

Re: Got hassled by cops. Need to know what corrective action I should take as an American. [Re: Hendostan]
    #3480763 - 12/11/04 05:31 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

He said he had to call the K-9 unit, and then he had me come around the back of my car and spread my legs so he could search me. He put his hands way deep into my pockets, and deep into my groinal area from there, and patted me down thoroughly.

i didn't see this the first time, that's extremely illegal. i'd go down to the station and file a complaint. any searching they did before you consented to the k-9 was illegal. pat downs are only legal if there is reason to believe you are armed, not because they supposedly smelled pot.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #3480970 - 12/11/04 08:22 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Check out www.copwatch.com Baby_Hitler! My room mate was unlawfully arrested TWICE by the Windsor Police Department and later released with no charges but no reparations. We contacted Cop Watch and they were able to provide us with some VERY helpful advice on how to handle the situation!

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineJaRRn
Lost in Space
Male User Gallery

Loc: Standing on the Cosmic Sh...
    #3481008 - 12/11/04 08:46 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Man Just forget it.

Peace

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Got hassled by cops. Need to know what corrective action I should take as an American. [Re: trendal]
    #3481234 - 12/11/04 10:44 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks, I'll look into that.

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3481256 - 12/11/04 10:54 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Hendostan said:
Quote:

i didn't see this the first time, that's extremely illegal. i'd go down to the station and file a complaint. any searching they did before you consented to the k-9 was illegal. pat downs are only legal if there is reason to believe you are armed, not because they supposedly smelled pot.

Either the cop doesn't know what marijuana smells like, or he lied about smelling marijuana. Either way he needs more training. This is my local government. There are checks and balances against this type of behavior and I would like to see that they are working in this case. A nearby county had a bunch of corruption revealed lately just because of alot of little cases like this where the victim spoke out, and eventually the state opened an investigation.

I'm not looking to change the world or have a protest march down main street. I just want to be sure this incident is properly documented, and for that officer's training to be adjusted appropriately.

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Got hassled by cops. Need to know what corrective action I should take as an American. [Re: JaRRn]
    #3481268 - 12/11/04 10:59 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

JaRRn said:
Man Just forget it.

Peace

How is defending freedom bad for karma?

--------------------

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

#3481570 - 12/11/04 12:12 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

You kept your composure for the most part, but when you agreed to let the canine sniff around, you might have screwed yourself. But, then again, how can you consent to a dog sniffing *outside* your vehicle?

A few phrases to keep cops dumbfounded in a situation like this...

"Am I under arrest?"

"Am I being detained?" , if yes, "What am I being detained for?"

Cops don't want to mess with people that know the law.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder