Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblelongbong
casing questions:
    #346517 - 06/22/01 06:20 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

A couple:

1. Can you reuse the vermiculite off an old casing if you sterilise it, and then use it on a new one?

2. AF is going on holiday for a week and has the following. One fully colonised cake, a casing that has had one flush, and a casing that has had no flushes but the mycelium is beginning to show through the top layer and should probably be opened to air and light soon. What are the best options for each of these 3 things to keep everything in working order. Was thinking cake in the fridge then case it when AF gets back, leave the fruiting casings and hope they fruit only slightly over the 7 days.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: casing questions: [Re: longbong]
    #346528 - 06/22/01 07:17 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Hire a babysitter. You have 3 cakes at different stages, you can't just leave them for a week unattended. If you want good results, someone has to be there to mist and fan and watch for contams.
The fridge is a very dry place. If you left a cake in there for a week it would dry out. Your other cake, the one that has grown through the casing, it needs fresh air exchanges and proper humidity levels.

I think you should cancel your holidays!

Take a trip to the Spore Lab @:
http://www.SporeLab.com
email: getspores@sporelab.com

Invisiblelongbong
Re: casing questions: [Re: ]
    #346530 - 06/22/01 07:20 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

no chance of a babysitter. The cake is still in its jar so AF could cover up the holes and put in fridge. Is there anyhting that will slow down the fruiting process - like maybe covering all the cased cakes with saran wrap and putting those in the fridge as well?

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: casing questions: [Re: ]
    #346544 - 06/22/01 07:46 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

> The fridge is a very dry place
Dear Captain, what makes you think that?

---------------------------------------
kickme.to/mushrooms

Invisiblear393
old timer
Male
Loc: VT
Re: casing questions: [Re: Anno]
    #346560 - 06/22/01 08:26 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

fridge is a dry place....

well if there is humidity in the air, and something cold is placed in (or around the air as the case with a fridge) it tends to condense and no longer be in the air......

and if its AF who is going on vacation...why dont you baby sit...ha ha ha ha?

saran wrap will cut off air exchange and you will come back to a saran wrapped green blob. if you dont belive me, try it and find out.

my recommendation is to get AFOAF to poke his/her head in on AFs project and pick the fruits when its time, and do nothing else.

I know when my cat was growing and she had to leave town for a week o go to mardi gras, my cats girlfriend checked up on his fruits.

and when my cat goes to london next month, i know that she (now an ex) will be checking on my cats project.

peace, ar393 and crew

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: casing questions: [Re: ar393]
    #346948 - 06/22/01 08:57 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

> well if there is humidity in the air, and something cold is >placed in (or around the air as the case with a fridge) it >tends to condense and no longer be in the air......
We are talking in terms of relative humidity in the air, not absolute.
I know that there is a temperature dependance of the water partial pressure in the air-waterwapor mix("cold air can hold less water") but that?s not of importance.
The relative humidity(and this ?s what?s all about) is still very high in the fridge. Put a hygrometer in there and see for yourself.

---------------------------------------
kickme.to/mushrooms

InvisibleBrownPastures
old hand

Loc: here
Re: casing questions: [Re: longbong]
    #347045 - 06/22/01 11:09 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Why dont you just kiddnap a bunch of monkeys from the forest and train them to take care of your shrooms. Works for ME!

Drool Donkey Island-FSR-"nowhere to runto nowhere to hide"-AIC

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies