Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAnonymousNewbie
Mad Scientist
Loc: England
Sterilizing casing layers?
    #3443298 - 12/03/04 06:12 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Can I just get the water content of my 50/50 mix right, stuff tha casing mix into some jars and pressure cook umm? If so how long and at what psi do i pressure cook - and does there need to beh oles in the lids of the jars? Or can i just get some sealed jars and fill them up tighten the cap and pressure cook?

--------------------
Don't grow mushrooms if it is illegal where you live.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineintrigue
MMMM hard trance
 User Gallery
Re: Sterilizing casing layers? [Re: AnonymousNewbie]
    #3443393 - 12/03/04 06:35 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

i pressure cook my jars for 60 min at 15 psi

and yes i am pretty sure u do need a hole in the lid but i could be wrong i just have a lid with some polyfill in it just like all my other jars.

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #3443423 - 12/03/04 06:43 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

NO HOLE IN LID & IT CAN EXPLODE w/out one.

No jars needed, for a 50/50 casing mix.

Use tinfoil cooking bag, PC 20 minutes

OR, wrap in tinfoil, or, pan covered tight with tinfoil, use oven @ 170 for a few hours (w/small batch)

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
Re: Sterilizing casing layers? [Re: agar]
    #3443459 - 12/03/04 06:56 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

God damn I hate these jars will explode if there isn't a hole in it posts. Its SO damn retarded. When you can veggies do they put holes in the lid? NO they do not. Jars will not explode if they don't have a hole. But they WILL cause a vacuum, and when you open it, it will suck in lots of air. But that wont matter since you are going to case in open air anyways.

And don't post back with some retarded blabber about jars exploding, because it just does not happen. If a jar does crack, its cause it was cooled too quick, but mason jars do not blow up in a damn pressure cooker.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #3444051 - 12/03/04 10:27 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

AnonymousNewbie said:
Can I just get the water content of my 50/50 mix right, stuff tha casing mix into some jars and pressure cook umm? If so how long and at what psi do i pressure cook - and does there need to beh oles in the lids of the jars? Or can i just get some sealed jars and fill them up tighten the cap and pressure cook?

Yes , but make it just a tad bit drier than a perfect casing should be .
Put in PC for 1 hr at 15psi .
Leave lids lose , and in upright position , then once you can pull them out of PC (cool enough to touch , but still very warm ) screw the lids down tight , this will make them vac seal .
So no holes in the lids , but again leave them lose during cooking process them tighten them before they fully cool down . They need to vent .

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Invisibletripndicular

Re: Sterilizing casing layers? [Re: Psychoslut]
    #3444076 - 12/03/04 10:34 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Psychoslut said:
God damn I hate these jars will explode if there isn't a hole in it posts. Its SO damn retarded. When you can veggies do they put holes in the lid? NO they do not. Jars will not explode if they don't have a hole. But they WILL cause a vacuum, and when you open it, it will suck in lots of air. But that wont matter since you are going to case in open air anyways.

And don't post back with some retarded blabber about jars exploding, because it just does not happen. If a jar does crack, its cause it was cooled too quick, but mason jars do not blow up in a damn pressure cooker.

I dare you to put half a dozen jars with lids on "correctly" (rubber side down)tightened down completly in a PC or AC for 1 hr @15 psi .
It will at very least crack , and if full of grain , fruit preserves , whatever that can build up gasses and pressure ....it will blow .Come on try it just for fun  :grin:
Remeber do not invert lids like normal for mushie teks . :wink:
The vac you mention happens as the hot air and cases cool down they "condense" causing the vac effect .

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
Re: Sterilizing casing layers? [Re: tripndicular]
    #3444277 - 12/03/04 11:55 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Ok you are telling me that people poke holes in the lids, or put them rubber side up when they can veggies? Ive made my own salsa before, they do not blow up at all. A mason jar can handle an amazing amount of pressure. I have tried to make a bomb out of them before. I filled a quart jar half full of black red dot shotgun powder, and super glued a cannon fuse in a small hole i drilled in the lid. I even super glued the lid and sealed it tight, i lit it, and ran behind my shed door expecting i just made a glass grenade, but no all that happened is the lid blew off and went 30 feet in the air. The glass did not give in at all.

I'm not going to do your experiment, i have nothing to prove to you.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Invisibletripndicular

#3444411 - 12/04/04 01:04 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Okey dokey dude .
I need no "proof" from you .
Have a great life , see ya round !

--------------------

InvisibleKyKid
Stranger
Re: Sterilizing casing layers? [Re: tripndicular]
    #3444439 - 12/04/04 01:20 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

every pressure cooker comes with canning, instructions, no you can not pc jars as we do with out a hole in the lid with out something happening, but if you follow the directions for canning in the pc then you can. I havent attempted to try an make my jars bust so im not for sure, but i dont think they can be pc'ed at 15psi for an hour being airtight with out something giving, but i am also cofident that if done the right way they can be pc'ed with no holes with out busting or cracking, people do it every day, its one of the main reasons a pc and canning mason jars are still around. Im not sure as to who is wrong and who is wrong, just adding my two cents, and lets not let this turn into on of those bullshit threads were everyone insults eachother becuase they think they have something to prove, if someone thinks there right then prove it, and if you have nothing to prove, then dont bring it up.

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
    #3444736 - 12/04/04 05:17 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Slut can you show some more respect here? Really dont like to be contaminated by your negativity in some of your posts.

BTW I dont think people want to have blown of lids, and not everyone is using that stealthy mason jars of yours...

So bit more respect would be very cool! :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
Re: Sterilizing casing layers? [Re: KyKid]
    #3444743 - 12/04/04 05:19 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

KK :thumbup:

Yeah lets keep it clean, just like we try to with the inside of our jars and fruiting chambers! :laugh:

--------------------

Offlinebrianjamez
technofool
 User Gallery

Loc: Luna
Re: Sterilizing casing layers? [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3445210 - 12/04/04 09:09 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I don't have holes in my lids when I sterilze casing mixtures. I have not yet experience any thermonuclear detonations as a result either. A hole would be slightly pointless, I think.

--------------------
~plop~

OfflineShdwstr
FSRCanada
Male

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #3445534 - 12/04/04 11:34 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Lets go through a quick PC lesson about using jars.

When your PC reaches 15psi the temp is about 250. The pressure in the PC and the jar will both be 15 psi if done correctly.

Correctly meaning the jar rings are loose! Now consider the lid portion. Weather the little rubber ring is up or down, when the jar pressure is greater than the PC pressure the lid will rise to release the pressure. When the PC and jars cool, if the ring is facing down, it creates an air tight seal from the vacuume in the jar. If the ring is up, no air tight seal and the jar has no vacuume. Same if there are holes in the jar lid. With the jar and PC always at the same pressure, this allows the 250 degree moist heat to permeate the grain at 15 psi to more effectively sterilize it.
So why the holes in the lid? To inoculate the jar... a step not usually required when making jam!

There are only 5 reasons a jar will break in a PC.

1. Jar was already cracked.
2. Rings were tightened, preventing pressure release.
3. PC was cooled to quickly. eg. releasing the pressure, before PC cools naturally. Remember... patience  :smirk:
4. PC Boils dry or
5. Jars were placed directly on the bottom.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

Edited by Shdwstr (12/04/04 11:39 AM)

Anonymous

Re: Sterilizing casing layers? [Re: agar]
    #3742319 - 02/06/05 07:52 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

no. they dont explode. not the ones that are made for that. I do it all the time with half pint and pint ball jars. try it.

Edited by Anonymous (02/06/05 08:02 PM)

Anonymous

#3742325 - 02/06/05 07:54 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

certain jar completely sealed is PC cooked

Will the content of this jar be sterilized if there are no holes or loose lid in the PC process?

In other words, is it necessary that the pressure, the vapor, the steam, enters inside the jar? Or the heat by itself will sterilize the substrate / honey water / casing material/ what ever.

I?m interested in this cause it would be better to sterilize a syringe, for example, in a sealed jar, that won?t be opened until the syringe is needed. Otherwise, the syringe will get wet in a jar with holes in it.

I have sterilized honey water with completely sealed Ball Jars? they don?t explode. I just don?t take them out of the PC immediately after. I wait an hour.

Thanks.

Edited by Anonymous (02/06/05 08:02 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures