Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Should minimum wage be raised?
    #3422946 - 11/29/04 12:20 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

So I forgot about this paper I have to do for my economics class... It's due in about 45 minutes.  Late papers will not be accepted, so I'm either going to turn in a piece of shit or nothing at all.  Can anybody here help me with at least turning in a piece of shit?  The paper has to answer the question "should minimum wage be raised" and the answer has to be supported with valid economic reasons.  Thanks in advance for any help! :smile:

Peace,

RebelSteve

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Should minimum wage be raised? [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #3422956 - 11/29/04 12:24 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

"I was too busy working two jobs for minimum wage in order to pay for this course; therefore, I had no time to actually write a paper contrasting the pros and cons of raising minimum wage."

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisiblenewuser1492
Re: Should minimum wage be raised? [Re: Seuss]
    #3422974 - 11/29/04 12:33 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

The state of Florida just raised minimum wage by $1. I want to see how that positively or negatively affects the economy.

Since federal minimum wage has not been increased in seven years I don't see the $1 state increase as increasing purchasing power. Instead I see the increase as merely reflecting inflation.

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: Should minimum wage be raised? [Re: newuser1492]
    #3423032 - 11/29/04 12:53 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I probably can not help you write a paper

But I can say that Minimum Wage should be increased by a very large margin. The impact would be a very large shift in the price of things.And the profits the rich harvest from the sweat of the poor.

But I also think Unions should be abolished. They were need in 1912 but not now.

When You only have to pay 16,000 dollar for a car instead of 30,000 dollars. Then paying extra buck for a hamburger would be something I could afford.

It is crazy to me that we pay huge ridiculous sums of cash for union made stuff. I have seen the cost of loading a truck by union workers. It was in the hundreds of dollars. Stupid waste of cash.

The Minimum wage is set far below what our own government says the poverty level is.

Funny how they dictate that millions of people should be payed a wage that forces them to be very poor. :smirk:

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

Invisiblenewuser1492
Re: Should minimum wage be raised? [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #3423054 - 11/29/04 12:59 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Funny how they dictate that millions of people should be payed a wage that forces them to be very poor.

They don't force any company to pay minimum wage. They say that minimum wage is the least amount of money a company can pay someone. All companies are free to pay as much above that amount as they want.

Anonymous

#3423056 - 11/29/04 12:59 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: Should minimum wage be raised? [Re: newuser1492]
    #3423093 - 11/29/04 01:12 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

cb9fl said:
Quote:

Funny how they dictate that millions of people should be payed a wage that forces them to be very poor.

They don't force any company to pay minimum wage. They say that minimum wage is the least amount of money a company can pay someone. All companies are free to pay as much above that amount as they want.

True but if you were a greedy corporate fiend that needs to pay for his Sailboat and you were told you only had to pay your workers some pitifully wage guess what..............

The point I am making is that if company's are forced to pay real wages then they will find  profit in other areas other than the wage pool.

Getting wealthy off workers is the goal in business. But as a former owner of a very large Manufacturing firm I can tell you that I made the choice to pay my worker about 30% higher than the same workers down the street.

I found profit in other ways. But mostly my guys worked much harder because they got payed a lot more than the shop down the street.

So I could still made a good profit, make a fine product and had very happy, very well payed employees.

Don't you find it odd that while some company's are paying Union wages for making "Product A"  and still make a good profit. While a company that does not pay Union wages can make the same " Product A" and make huge sick profits?

If all company's were required to pay a higher minimum wage and the Unions were killed. We would all be closer to a even keel :thumbup:

In the eyes of Fucknuckle anyway :grin:

--------------------

Offlineld50negative1
lethal dosage

#3423112 - 11/29/04 01:20 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

minimum wage jobs are not for people that have families. if you have a family you should have an education. absolutely not.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #3423135 - 11/29/04 01:30 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Raising minimum wage usually results in more unemployment. Some say we should raise minimum wage to a living wage, but it usually tends to be high school and college students getting these jobs anyway, so a lot of that extra cash is unnecessary. It used to be, and still is to an extent, that we had a large blue-collar working class that was able to provide a comfortable living for unskilled manual labor. Unfortunately, most of those were manufacturing jobs are being exported, and we are moving more and more into a service economy. There's no end to the fingerpointing as to who is to blame for this, but I imagine it's just a natural consequence of a global economy. We've had our economy shift before from agrarian to manufacturing, so we might as well buckle tight for another shift into a service economy. The free market has a tendency to adjust itself. If the government quit squandering our tax dollars on military adventurism, corporate welfare, and foreign aid, the market would grow to adapt to this change and create a service-based working class, or something of that sort. In short, no, minimum wage should not be raised.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: Should minimum wage be raised? [Re: ld50negative1]
    #3423136 - 11/29/04 01:30 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I want to see the person that can live single with a Minimum wage and buy a home, own a newer car, pay all his other bills, save for the future, make any investments, start a business, pay for school, etc.........

While earning 6 bucks an hour?

Please
You must be mistaken :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
    #3423152 - 11/29/04 01:35 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I'd be impressed just to see someone that is making minimum wage that can afford bus fare...

of course there are excpetions to the rule...most bar/restaurant staff get paid minimum wage, but rely on tips. Which often more than triple whatever wage they are making.

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: Should minimum wage be raised? [Re: silversoul7]
    #3423162 - 11/29/04 01:39 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
it usually tends to be high school and college students getting these jobs anyway, .

I agree with several of your points but this one is very false

I think sometimes many of your have no clue as to what to poor of this country go thru.

Dude only a very small % of the mim wage workers fall into your narrow picture. Most come from poor families that never made it to college. They take what ever jobs they can find

And saying that we are losing such a large amount of Manufacturing jobs to over seas is nothing more than you listen too much CNN. Whiel we may be losing some great big huge giant companies. Belive me that there are millions of small outfitts that will never leave. And these are the jobs that many of my friends need and take.

I can only speak for the Metro Detroit area and Mich. But I know hundreds of families that live off Min wage and are denied Welfare because they make too much money. WOW I say to my self.

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #3423194 - 11/29/04 01:51 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Your close involvement with the poor in your area may have led you to believe that ss7's comments are incorrect, but in fact he is right.

Many studies have shown that in the US, the overwhelming majority of minimum wage earners are young people. Further, very few of those making minimum wage when they first enter the work force are still making it two years later. As a matter of fact, a bare majority receive their first raise within six months.

This is not to say there is no one out there who has worked at minimum wage for more than their first two years in the job marketplace. Of course there are many people who do. But it is far from the norm.

pinky

--------------------

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: Should minimum wage be raised? [Re: Phred]
    #3423214 - 11/29/04 01:57 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

So your saying the difference between 5.50 an hour and 7.00 an hour makes some great big huge difference? A 25 cent raise is like an extra 6 bucks a week after taxes

I don't think so and min wage job will max out at about 2-3 dollar more an hour.

Until a person is making over 10-12 an hour he or she is very poor.

I would like very much to see a person who makes a decent wage try to live off 7-9 dollar an hour.

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #3423276 - 11/29/04 02:07 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

minimum wage should be abolished entirely.

it hurts the people it tries to help the most and
otherwise skews the labor market.

it's a joke.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: Should minimum wage be raised? [Re: afoaf]
    #3423406 - 11/29/04 02:27 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Oh yeah that would be a good idea

Then the bastards could just pay people 1.50 an hour

--------------------

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
    #3423508 - 11/29/04 02:55 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

If people choose to work for 1.50 an hour why shouldn't they be able to. If that person could not live off a wage that small obviously they would not work there. The market is able to set its own limits. The poor around you has made you go wacky fucknuckle.

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: Should minimum wage be raised? [Re: d33p]
    #3423524 - 11/29/04 03:00 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Your post is so far from reality

I don't even know what to say

--------------------

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
    #3423578 - 11/29/04 03:15 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Well please dissect my post and explain how it is removed from reality. I am willing to bet you haven't got a single fucking clue what you are talking about. Economics is tricky.

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: Should minimum wage be raised? [Re: d33p]
    #3423693 - 11/29/04 03:41 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

OK now that you are getting rude

In fact I am part of the economy.....er was

Until 2 weeks ago I employed over 70 people on 2 shifts.

I think I have a much better understanding of the subject than some College class

Now on to your post

I fully understand the fact of supply and demand. I understand how markets work. I have survived them for 15 years and turned my company into a cash powerhouse competing in the most competitive market I know of. The Automotive market

But you said that people can live with 1.50 an hour. Or that a company could survive offering such a low wage.

You are not thinking clearly.

Like many people here you are just trying to say something silly and expect us to buy it.

Like I said your statement was way out of touch with reality

But Your point has some truth even though is was stretched beyond what is real.

So points to you :smile:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds