Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemushroommark
Earning mybluethumb

Colonizing rye jar has excess water buildup
    #3398740 - 11/23/04 02:01 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I prepared a rye jar via Magash tek and used a PF cake to inoculate. It has been colonizing for 11 days at 84 F and is very close to being done, however, no progress has been made since about day 8. What worries me is that there is aprox 30 ml of water that has collected at the bottom of the jar. It literally comes up the sides of the jar and is soaking the bottom ~1 inch of the rye.

My first inclination would be to say perhaps the rye was too wet, but it seemed borderline dry after PC'ing. Light brown color, no excess water hardly at all after coming out of the PC.
So I guess I was just wondering if the water buildup was normal, or should I cut back on my 45 min simmer the next time around.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePooPs
What's thisfor???

Loc: Stirrin up the pile!
Re: Colonizing rye jar has excess water buildup [Re: mushroommark]
    #3398873 - 11/23/04 02:29 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

the cook time don't matter ( you did cover the lids with foil right ? ) but you do need to get the water content correct before you cook them.

condensation on the glass on top part of the jar is fine,, water buildup on the bottom is not a good thing.

did you shake them when you removed them from the PC to distribute the water ?

--------------------

-----------
Sniff, Sniff... What's that smell???... ohhhhh.!!
------------------

Pot Free for another : nevermind.. never made it..

Offlinemushroommark
Earning mybluethumb

Re: Colonizing rye jar has excess water buildup [Re: PooPs]
    #3399856 - 11/23/04 06:16 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, I shook them real well to distribute the water as well as to break up some of the grain that was clumping together. I read somewhere that the tyvek didn't allow liquid water to enter, but I did double layer foil them with heavy duty reynolds wrap anyways.

I just g2g 4 more jars with the top part of the "wet" jar that wasn't touching any water. I simmered for only 30 min for the second batch so I don't think there's anyway that those would have to much water content. We'll see how those colonize, maybe it's an isolated thing. I'll post some pics if I run into the same problem with the next 4 jars.
But if anyone has had problems with water pooling up as the jars colonize be sure to let me know... Thanks again

OfflineSassySkiip
Goddess

#3400277 - 11/23/04 07:46 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

How long did you simmer the rye and how long did you strain??? My suggestion would be simmer as long as you can BUT when I say simmer I mean boil... until you see splitting. Even once you start to see splitting, wait about 10 more minutes before you stop the boil. (The first few are gonna be flukes.)
Also if you are really worried, you can try to add about a 1/4 inch of vermiculite to the bottom that way it will help to absorb the excess water.
:goodluck:

--------------------
S stands for Sizzling...

Scorpio: passion and power

Oh Man,
I could go for some JD tonight!

Offlinemushroommark
Earning mybluethumb

Re: Colonizing rye jar has excess water buildup [Re: SassySkiip]
    #3401099 - 11/23/04 10:29 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Simmered for 45 min, starting once the first few bubbles of boiling appeared, aprox 5 percent of grains have split. Drained for about 15 min, wasn't dripping any longer.

I like the verm idea if these ones that I g2g don't work out. Thnx.

OfflineSassySkiip
Goddess

#3405351 - 11/24/04 06:11 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

It sounds like you had at least done some research before starting which is good....
Justa suggestion
When you rinse, also shake the strainer; it helps get any water what would be caught in between the grains. You can boil for longer as well. I believe we do about a good hour, but the splitting sounds about right. Lemme know if you have any other ?'s I might be able to help.
Oh and just curious when you had the water build up was it before you even PC'd the jars?

--------------------
S stands for Sizzling...

Scorpio: passion and power

Oh Man,
I could go for some JD tonight!

Offlinelesstutrey
All Weather Associate
 User Gallery

Loc: Chicagoland
Re: Colonizing rye jar has excess water buildup [Re: SassySkiip]
    #3405424 - 11/24/04 06:33 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Also if you are really worried, you can try to add about a 1/4 inch of vermiculite to the bottom that way it will help to absorb the excess water.

you can also add some verm to the mix of rye.. not much.. but a bit.. will help to soak up excess water.

Offlinemushroommark
Earning mybluethumb

Re: Colonizing rye jar has excess water buildup [Re: lesstutrey]
    #3406006 - 11/24/04 09:07 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

No, no the water build up only started after the jar was 80 percent colonized, real wierd.  It wasn't like it was already obviously wet after coming out of the PC, I wouldn't have wasted my spores cause I know how finicky water content can be with grains.

The 4 jars I just g2g are so far so good, but it hasn't been long.  Plus I just started a couple of jars of birdseed.  I'm trying to keep my options open, see what works the easiest for me. :tongue:

Oh yeah, I did shift the strainer I bit while they were draining, but it was pretty full, so they couldn't move as much as I wouldv'e liked.  But we'll have to wait and see, it might just be a wierd jar.  Thanks again.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Injection Grain Bag