Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleusefulidiot
It's notfascist, it's...Neoconservative!

Cops Taser 14-Year-Old Who Wouldn't Drop Game Boy
    #3393086 - 11/21/04 01:10 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

http://www.freep.com/news/locway/taser20e_20041120.htm

Cops Taser 14-Year-Old Who Wouldn't Drop Game Boy

Detroit Free Press | November 21 2004

Police in Lincoln Park had to use a Taser gun -- twice -- to subdue a kicking and screaming 14-year-old boy who wouldn't stop playing his Nintendo Game Boy during class.

The boy, who appeared in juvenile court Friday on a charge of resisting and obstructing a police officer, was uninjured, except for a scrape on his right temple that happened Thursday during the lengthy tussle with three police officers and the assistant principal at Lincoln Park High School.

According to a report filed in Wayne County Family Court by Lincoln Park Police Sgt. Charles Kaminski of the youth bureau, the boy was sent to the assistant principal's office because he refused to stop playing his Game Boy when the teacher told him to stop.

Once in the office, the boy refused to surrender the Game Boy to assistant principal Larry Phillips, who promised to return it to him after school.

When the boy continued to refuse to hand over the electronic game, school liaison Officer Paul Cochran was called. Cochran started to conduct a pat-down search of the boy and he started swinging fists and kicking at the officer, the police report said.

Cochran called for backup while he attempted to restrain the boy and Phillips held the boy's legs. Cochran said he received scrapes and bites on his arms trying to subdue the boy.

When two uniformed officers arrived, the boy was still fighting and one of the officers pulled out a Taser gun and attached the weapon to the boy's clothing. The gun's electric current, which officials said is nonlethal, is designed so suspects lose control of their muscles.

Being tased "stopped him for a moment and then he started fighting again," the police report said.

The officer warned the boy again to stop fighting and to give up the Game Boy. The boy said no, resumed fighting and was stung again by the Taser gun.

The three officers finally subdued the boy and he was admitted to the Wayne County Juvenile Detention Facility. Other than Cochran's bites, scratches and scrapes, the officers were not seriously injured.

At a court hearing Friday, the boy's mother told Family Court Referee David Perkins that her son had been in counseling since the fourth grade after he was illegally kidnapped by his stepmother and kept away from his mother for a year.

His counselor recently told the mother that her son was getting worse, she said. Perkins set bond at $2,000 pending a Dec.6 pre-trial hearing.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAaronEvil
The GuitarVillain
Male

Loc: California
Re: Cops Taser 14-Year-Old Who Wouldn't Drop Game Boy [Re: usefulidiot]
    #3393684 - 11/21/04 04:51 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

He should have dropped the game boy.

--------------------

There is not a lot of difference between a fox hole and a grave; but knowing that you dug your ditch and climbed in anyway.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Cops Taser 14-Year-Old Who Wouldn't Drop Game Boy [Re: AaronEvil]
    #3393759 - 11/21/04 05:05 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Dope him with Ritalin ~ Partnership for a Drug-Free America

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleShroomOmatic
Ethno Apprentice
Male User Gallery
Loc: Sailing the Seas of Chees...
Re: Cops Taser 14-Year-Old Who Wouldn't Drop Game Boy [Re: Swami]
    #3394378 - 11/21/04 07:53 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

What a dumb little shit fighting over a gameboy? I woulda shot his ass... :eek: :crazy2:

--------------------

InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

Loc: British Columbia
    #3394452 - 11/21/04 08:06 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Hahahah, what the fuck is wrong with kids these days? :rolleyes:

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
Loc: Gallifrey
    #3394678 - 11/21/04 08:51 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

It sounds like this kid had some legitimate mental issues. I guess the cops thought they'd get on the ball and start electro-shock therapy going early. :rolleyes:

--------------------
Happiness is a warm gun...

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: Cops Taser 14-Year-Old Who Wouldn't Drop Game Boy [Re: unbeliever]
    #3394782 - 11/21/04 09:11 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

The kid obviously fought the cop and deserved what he got. A 14 year old is no little kid. My 14 year old brother weighs 175 and benches 225 and he would be a serious threat in a fight.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
Loc: Gallifrey
Re: Cops Taser 14-Year-Old Who Wouldn't Drop Game Boy [Re: z@z.com]
    #3394813 - 11/21/04 09:18 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

z@z.com said:
The kid obviously fought the cop and deserved what he got. A 14 year old is no little kid. My 14 year old brother weighs 175 and benches 225 and he would be a serious threat in a fight.

I don't care what his size is. I'm just saying that the impression I get is that this kid has serious mental problems, based on his obsessive fixation and violence. Perhaps the cops could have taken that into consideration. Perhaps the kids' parents, or even teachers could have bothered to notice this problem before the tazers came out.

--------------------
Happiness is a warm gun...

OfflineAaronEvil
The GuitarVillain
Male

Re: Cops Taser 14-Year-Old Who Wouldn't Drop Game Boy [Re: unbeliever]
    #3394824 - 11/21/04 09:22 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

unbeliever said:
Perhaps the kids' parents, or even teachers could have bothered to notice this problem before the tazers came out.

But the didnt and their neglegence got the kid shocked. Next time they will do their job as well as the cops did theirs.

--------------------

There is not a lot of difference between a fox hole and a grave; but knowing that you dug your ditch and climbed in anyway.

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #3395033 - 11/21/04 10:08 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

AaronEvil said:
But the didnt and their neglegence got the kid shocked. Next time they will do their job as well as the cops did theirs.

Exactly. I am no fan of the police or the tactics they sometimes employ, but in this case I think they did the right thing. They didn't shoot the kid and other than a bit of temporary pain he was not hurt.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Loc: BC Canada
    #3395044 - 11/21/04 10:10 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

This is a hillarious story.

I admire the kid. And I am suprised that the kid actually went to those lengths. He never surrendered, they just hurt him till he couldn't fight any more.

Crazy.

I guess he figured his time in class was his and he could pay attention to what ever he wanted to. I wonder if his grades were good. If he really knew what was going on in his studies, I guess he doesn't have to pay attention in class. For some intelligent kids, high school is a joke.

I had a buddy who, in Grade 12, just showed up to write the tests and hand in assignments. He took all the highest level classes and got 90's, so they let him skip class. WHy not. It's just a waste of time.

And the school guard called in backup! Bah-Ha! Surely he wasn't THAT much of a wimp! He probably wanted to show this kid the meaning of authority.

I guess the kid had a good initiation with authority by force. Good for him. The sooner he realizes how the world works, the better.

--------------------
  -I'd rather have a frontal lobotomy than a bottle in front of me

CANADIAN CENTER FOR POLICY ALTERNATIVES

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
Re: Cops Taser 14-Year-Old Who Wouldn't Drop Game Boy [Re: carbonhoots]
    #3395083 - 11/21/04 10:20 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Man those cops probably ruined his high score.

I mean one tasering I can understand, but the kid takes the taser shot, keeps his game boy and keeps fighting. He must of been really close to a high score. I can relate.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

Invisiblenewuser1492
    #3395269 - 11/22/04 10:00 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

They tased him because he wouldn't give over his Gameboy and the kid is at fault?

They could have simply told him not to play it in class but since it is his property they had no right to take it. If he refused to abide by their rules he should have been sent home or perhaps sent to his counselor.

I don't see a reason to bring violence into that situation.

OfflineAaronEvil
The GuitarVillain
Male

Re: Cops Taser 14-Year-Old Who Wouldn't Drop Game Boy [Re: newuser1492]
    #3395277 - 11/22/04 10:05 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

cb9fl said:
I don't see a reason to bring violence into that situation.

Maybe you missed the part where the kid was swinging at the campus supervisor and police. That would be the reason to bring violence into it. Once he swings he opens himself up to be injured. It would be like if I punched you, you would punch me back harder. Well, instead of a fist the officers used a taser.

--------------------

Invisiblenewuser1492
    #3395296 - 11/22/04 10:30 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

When the boy continued to refuse to hand over the electronic game, school liaison Officer Paul Cochran was called. Cochran started to conduct a pat-down search of the boy and he started swinging fists and kicking at the officer, the police report said.

Seems to me they touched him first.

What if you were at work and you were playing with a Gameboy. Your employer came over and told you to give him the Gameboy and when you didn't he started patting you down? I think I'd push the person off me. And if they continued my resistence would escalate.

The kid may have overreacted but he obviously has mental problems.

Quote:

At a court hearing Friday, the boy's mother told Family Court Referee David Perkins that her son had been in counseling since the fourth grade after he was illegally kidnapped by his stepmother and kept away from his mother for a year.

The school should have known this and taken it into account when dealing with the student.

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
    #3395389 - 11/22/04 07:50 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Pharmaceuticaly doped up 14 year olds can be dangerous...

When I was 14 I was big enough to do some damage to an adult.. And I am short...

Then again.. Most cops Ive seen are bigger than any large 14 year old kid...

Sooo my vote goes to the kid and his family.

May they sue for millions.

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

Edited by GabbaDj (11/22/04 07:52 PM)

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
    #3395824 - 11/22/04 09:15 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

why did the cop automatically pat him down? It's sad how they all assume 14-year olds who get sent to the office have a weapon/drugs on them. he was subjected to an unreasonable search by the police.

OfflineFrankieJustTrypt
and fell

Loc: MI
Re: Cops Taser 14-Year-Old Who Wouldn't Drop Game Boy [Re: chodamunky]
    #3395999 - 11/22/04 09:59 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I'm surprised the Detroit cops had enough time in between partying and selling crack to make it down to the school.

--------------------
If you want a free lunch, you need to learn how to eat good advice.

OfflineAaronEvil
The GuitarVillain
Male

Re: Cops Taser 14-Year-Old Who Wouldn't Drop Game Boy [Re: newuser1492]
    #3397204 - 11/23/04 06:19 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

cb9fl said:
What if you were at work and you were playing with a Gameboy. Your employer came over and told you to give him the Gameboy and when you didn't he started patting you down? I think I'd push the person off me. And if they continued my resistence would escalate.

I wouldnt be playing a gameboy in an environment that I shouldnt be. The kid should have known that he shouldnt be playing the gameboy. They asked for it, he refused. The pat down wasnt needed, but was it really that bad? Was that worth him punching and kicking? Ive been pat down before, it doesnt hurt, it doesnt violate privacy, its just to make sure you have nothing on you that shouldnt be.

--------------------

Invisiblenewuser1492
    #3397274 - 11/23/04 07:07 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

They asked for it, he refused.

In doing so I believe he was justified. What gives them the right take his property, apparently with force?

Quote:

The kid may have overreacted but he obviously has mental problems.
The school should have known this and taken it into account when dealing with the student.

It seems that the school did not use force and violence as a last resort.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale