Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTrippingBillies
SpaceCruiser
Loc: Pangea
Cacti germination Problem
    #3374409 - 11/17/04 02:02 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Hey guys, I have a bunch of cacti seeds which have germinated and are a couple of months old. The soil has begun to grow green stuff. Just green algae like stuff which covers the surface and rocks and whatnot. I want to get rid of this. I'm worried about the ungerminated cacti. I don't want this stuff eating off the non-germinated seeds. How can I kill it? I don't want to spend any money, just kill the stuff off. I have tried to get out seeds that are visible on the surface and will start them in another chamber. Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks.

--------------------
"It's so obvious it's hard to understand."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDazedSol
old hand

Re: Cacti germination Problem [Re: TrippingBillies]
    #3374533 - 11/17/04 02:25 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Sounds like your keeping the seedlings way too moist......

After a couple months i would assume the other seeds may not be viable.....how many actually germinated?

I'd get them out of that overly moist environement before your baby cacti start to rot.......

--------------------
Peace,
Adam

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Cacti germination Problem [Re: DazedSol]
    #3374814 - 11/17/04 03:13 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Try spraying some diluted hydrogen peroxide.

How many months old are the seedlines? What are the conditions?

--------------------

Without love in the dream
It will never come true

OfflineTrippingBillies
SpaceCruiser
Loc: Pangea
Re: Cacti germination Problem [Re: Hooty]
    #3375015 - 11/17/04 03:52 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

The seedlings are Lophophora, they are about two months old. The problem is that last week I added some more seeds to the environment. Some Ariocarpus Fissuratus seeds which I don't want to loose. I picked out as many as I could, and will save for a future date. I still want to see if any others will germinate. Some of the Lophs took as long as three weeks longer then the the first germinated seeds. My environment is 80-90 degrees with a humidity of 90%. My environment is air tight and very humid. I usually keep them in their until I see signs of mold or other growth and then ween them off the humidity into normal conditions. The problem is my other seeds. I'll try the peroxide. thanks for ideas.

--------------------
"It's so obvious it's hard to understand."

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
Re: Cacti germination Problem [Re: TrippingBillies]
    #3375281 - 11/17/04 04:47 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

You say your environment is air tight? Thats the reason for your mould build up. They need to breathe! Put some holes in ur setup and open it right up for a while when the night cycle comes. Get some air circulation going on!

InvisibleLifenergy
Yo Mama

Re: Cacti germination Problem [Re: Hooty]
    #3375569 - 11/17/04 05:34 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Hooty said:

I agree with this. I use a mix that is slightly more diluted than you would use for mushrooms, or a little less than 10% peroxide, and 90% distilled water. I also agree with faslimy, your cacti seedlings need air exchange. I use press 'n seal over the pot and poke holes in it with a pin, along with fanning fairly often. I had some seedlings that had some nasties starting in their soil, and after a few good mistings of peroxide water, no more bad guys. The seeds were apparently unaffected, and I had more sprout after the treatment. Good luck with the lopho's. I just like having them near me. They have such good energy :smile:

--------------------
Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see.

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
Re: Cacti germination Problem [Re: Lifenergy]
    #3377132 - 11/17/04 11:16 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Hooty said:

How many months old are the

>>I agree with this.

Me three.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale