Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDestr0yingAngel
Mycologist
Loc: Iowa, USA
Re: Mushroom Evolution Discussion - Do Mushrooms Degenerate?
    #3371435 - 11/16/04 09:09 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Hi Fellow Shroomers, Please read and give your input on this post, I am new to this forum thing and I want to get some feedback. Although, I'm sure this subject will be a well-debated topic I might go on for a while, but please bear with me as I am really serious about this.

I have been studying mycology and biology in college-level for four years now. A post that asked: "Do mushrooms degenerate?" really struck my interest in this discussion, however it was an old post and I doubt my reply would get read, so I decided to start a whole new fresh post and go from there. I have 4 years of experienced research and bookreading to back up all I know. Although I'm sure I might get alot of disagreements, here is my theory as I believe to be a fact of nature and evolution:

Mushrooms are alot like plants and animals in the same respect that we all are slowly evolving and morphing over time since prehistoric ages. As a mushroom reproduces over and over, just like plants, animals, and humans do. A single full reproduction cycle is called a "generation". It is a known fact that even the next generation of offspring (produced by parents of the same organism, and even the same strain) can sometimes tend to have minute differences in traits from that of their parents. In nature, this is called a "mutation" (Ex: a baby born with six toes on one foot. It is said in science that most mutations are unwanted and can be the result of numerous different things. However, evolution is more or less the same thing happening. Most bad mutations or new unwanted traits are caused by things that alter the chromosomes before or during the production of offspring. Bad mutations are often caused by exposure to radiation or radioactive substances. Though this is not always the cause. Evolution teaches that due to an organism having to adapt to things that it is not used to such as a different environment, climate, or food source. It's offspring can often be born with a new trait to be more adaptable to what may have been a harsh environment. If you still don't grasp, read about Charles Darwin. Thus concluding; just like any other organism on this planet that reproduces, Mushrooms can degenerate or even evolve, due to taking them out of nature and natural settings, shipping thier spores across the world and growing them in a completely new, artificial environment (in which you control). I'd say that after growing the same strain for many generations, the mushrooms could either learn to develop new traits or just adapt to make thier offspring more tolerable to your own climate, and food supply. Does this make sense fellow shroomers?

--------------------
Destr0yingAngel

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledobinky
infoseeker
 User Gallery
Loc: Wiki, Kentucky
Re: Mushroom Evolution Discussion - Do Mushrooms Degenerate? [Re: Destr0yingAngel]
    #3371452 - 11/16/04 09:10 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

im to lazy to read it all now...ill get back to you on that.

--------------------
Today?s Pig is Tomorrow?s Bacon

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags