Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecrazychild5
Stranger
cakes 99.975% colonized!!!
    #3362712 - 11/15/04 02:30 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Hello all!

I have 4 cakes incubating with 1 fully colonized, and 1 quickly on the way. The problem is that the other 2 have about and area the size of about a small pea that has not colonized, and colonization seems to have stopped completely in the past 3 days. The jars where turned on their lids, but still nothing. Should i birth the cakes, cuttting the uncolonized part out with a sterile knife and dunk, or should i wait a couple more days.

jars are at 82-84 deg f, inoculated 20 days ago. 1/2 pint.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelesstutrey
All Weather Associate
 User Gallery

Loc: Chicagoland
Re: cakes 99.975% colonized!!! [Re: crazychild5]
    #3362735 - 11/15/04 02:47 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

you could always try a sterile water rehydration... inject like 1cc of STERILE water per hole and see if it motivates anything... i dunno.. some would advise otherwise...

OfflineSilven
Male

Loc: El Mexicano
Re: cakes 99.975% colonized!!! [Re: crazychild5]
    #3362984 - 11/15/04 06:35 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Well I had a few BRF cakes recently that stalled with about the same size area that wouldn't colonize.

I wouldn't inject more water.  I waited over 2 weeks for that little spot to colonize (because I had no more fruiting room :lol:) but it never did.  So I took the cake out, sliced off about 1/2" diameter all around the area.  When I looked closer at it, it almost had a teal color to it, so I guessed it probably was a contam that managed to grab hold right at the end when there was no more food for it to consume.

I'm not very experienced with contams yet though, and wouldn't feel confident with my guesstimate on the diameter you should cut out.  Maybe Hyphae or Sam will add to this. :thumbup:

--------------------
What do you bring to the table?

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Loc: That Way
Re: cakes 99.975% colonized!!! [Re: Silven]
    #3362990 - 11/15/04 06:38 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

i had the exact thing going on with one of my cakes. i just decided to dunk it anyway and when i went and rolled it it had grown over miraculously

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

Anonymous

Re: cakes 99.975% colonized!!! [Re: lemon_lw]
    #3363021 - 11/15/04 06:57 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

its best just to cut it out with a sterilized knife

OfflineTantalus
Beyonddescription.
Re: cakes 99.975% colonized!!! [Re: lemon_lw]
    #3363731 - 11/15/04 11:46 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

lemon_lw said:
i had the exact thing going on with one of my cakes. i just decided to dunk it anyway and when i went and rolled it it had grown over miraculously

Sometimes when afaof is sure the uncolonized patches are not due to contam, he just birthes cakes normally. The fresh air means the patches colonize very quickly -- certainly much quicker than if left in the jar.

He's never had a problem with contam caused by this. Then again, he's seen about every contam at least once, and he would never do anything like this if the stalling was a result of contam.

--------------------
"A nation's hope of lasting peace cannot be firmly based upon any race in armaments but rather upon just relations and honest understanding with all other nations...

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed... The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. We pay for a single fighter with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people..."

President Dwight Eisenhower, 1953

Offlinecrazychild5
Stranger
Re: cakes 99.975% colonized!!! [Re: Tantalus]
    #3367019 - 11/15/04 10:55 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I must confess that i am a total noob, but it doesnt look contaminated to me. just looks like a perfectly uncolonized piece of verm. Being the cautious type im going to cut it out with a knife and hope for the best. Hypothetically speaking, if it does contam once its in the fruiting chamber, should i remove all cakes fromm fruiting chamber, chuck contaminated cake, spray h2o2 and h20 mixture on lid, sides and perlite, then place other cakes in. then sacrifice something to the contam gods to keep them happy?

I dunked the cake that was fully colonized and going to roll pretty soon. thanks for the advice everyone, hopefully it turns out all good.

first grow is fun, but damn stressful at the same time. peace

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix