Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Coldshocking a casing
    #3354745 - 11/13/04 05:20 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I have been one of few people here that actually coldshock a casing. The timing is very different in my case.

To review, let's look at birthing a casing without coldshock.

1. Make casing
2. After 3-5 days, patch if necessary
3. Place in the fruiting chamber and initiate fruiting triggers
4. Maintain fruiting condition until harvest

It's very simple but I like to control of how much growth I want to have. It's still a guessing game, but as much as with above procedure because coldshocking really helps control momentum.

So, here's what I do.

1. Make casing
2. After 3-4 days, patch as necessary
3. Incubate for 24 hours
4. Repatch as necessary and incubate another 12-24 hours(I've only done this once)
5. Coldshock for 24-48 hours depending on how fast myc grew
6. Place in fruiting chamber and initiate fruiting triggers
7. Maintain fruiting condition until harvest

The growth after coldshock is very very little. Yield seems almost identical to that from 1 casing I've done without coldshocking, about a pound per flush for 3 cake casing.

Okay... here's what I need. I need someone to duplicate this and either confirm or contradict the results. If the results are the same, I think it would be beneficial for some people who are overly worried about overlays. I think being comfortable with what you do is important, and people worrying too much about overlay sometimes lead to making them stupid things like deep scratching or recasing.

Anyways... here's two pictures of a casing that just came out of 48hour coldshock. Casing is 60/40 with ground verm and coir. First is before coldshock(I start coldshock when I have little less than amount of growth I want to fruit with) and second is after coldshock. Notice that there is almost no change.

Casing before coldshock

Same casing after coldshock

EDIT: Just to make sure everyone understands... Timing and procedures should be different if you coldshock.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Edited by Sam1912 (11/13/04 05:26 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecall_me_kido
Philosopher
 User Gallery

Loc: In your dreams
Re: Coldshocking a casing [Re: Sam1912]
    #3355234 - 11/13/04 10:45 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Sam, I think this an invaluable thread and should be getting more attention.

I have done casings both ways as you have. The only consideration I have is a lower average temp in my fruiting chamber anyway (Sometimes as low as 64 degrees).

I have coldshocked for 12-24 and 48 hours with no difference from an average Case, incubate 3 days and fruit as normal.

Im wondering if since the casing layer is saturated it may be a slightly lower temp anyway, and the amount of time it takes for the entire casing to heat up is a mini coldshock, at least enough to initiate pinning.

Like I said Im sure you have much better fruiting conditions then I do, so someone with similar temps should try it also. I have 12 Jars of Rye finished since yesterday I will cold shock 3 casings and do 3 normal and try to maintain an average fruiting temp of 72-76. Ill let you know how it goes.

If we are wasting our time with the cold shock it would be nice to know. At that phase in the game most people are very anxious to start fruiting, me included.

Talk to ya

Kido

--------------------
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
- Albert Einstein (1875-1955)

"A is A" -Aristotle

Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

Loc: Canada West
Re: Coldshocking a casing [Re: Sam1912]
    #3355348 - 11/13/04 11:20 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

5. Coldshock for 24-48 hours depending on how fast myc grew

longer for slow growth?

--------------------

We have to answer our own prayers

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Coldshocking a casing [Re: recalcitrant]
    #3357465 - 11/13/04 08:48 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I've cold shocked some casings that I've had trouble with..only GT casings so far..I got overlay on the first bunch I did and a cold shock with them helps to defend against this. Pinning times were 5 days sooner on average (9-10 days instead of 14-15). Yeild increased slightly for first flush not much and no difference was noted for second or third flushes.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlineindigo758
psyentist

Re: Coldshocking a casing [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3475468 - 12/10/04 10:22 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

With my OI casings I've cold shocked 4 of 5 for 12-18 hrs, they all pinned within a week. The one i decided not to shock hasn't pinned yet and it's been almost two. These were my first cases so take it with a grain of salt.

--------------------
please allow me to introduce myself, i'm a man of wealth and taste...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix