Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Loc: /export/home/Kremlin
higher education
    #3352966 - 11/12/04 05:22 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Hey Guys,

So i'm in my senior year here at USC, studying a subject ive ceased to care about.

I want to study music...more intently than a weekly lesson.

Im looking into higher education in music performance/composition so i can teach music and have a career of music on the side, or predominantly.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on educational facilities that are good?

--Pete

--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"
--Richard Dawkins, "The Selfish Gene"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
Re: higher education [Re: Kremlin]
    #3356701 - 11/13/04 05:06 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

hey, I don't have any useful advice (I thought this thread was about the movie 'higher learning', or whatever, that movie with ice cube about racial tensions in college... but hey, my sister went to USC, and her ex was a music major (prodigy type), so if you have any specific inquiries I could contact my sis or her ex.

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Re: higher education [Re: Malachi]
    #3356956 - 11/13/04 06:08 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

hey mal, thanks for the reply

Well im still attending USC, and i know a few guitar faculty guys.

Im not so curious as to USC, cuz i cant afford to come back here again....looking more for some other location.

Thanks tho

--Pete

--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
    #3357454 - 11/13/04 08:43 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I'm at UofArizona, a month away from finishing my music degree, business minor.

It's a great school, as long as you don't mind the desert.

Have you studied music before? Do you have any skill in instruments already?

Here, and I assume many other places, there are a few different degrees as a music student:
Bachelor of Arts in Music - what I got. Much more general, not the same ensemble/studio requirements, but requires an integrated minor
Performance in (insert instrument) - very rigorous, and many ensemble demands (you gotta be in a lot of different bands/groups)
Composition
and maybe a couple I don't know... but you might be able to make some judgements based on this.

Good luck my friend. Going into music was the best decision closest to my heart I've ever made. Walking around the music building once, and I fell in love with the program.

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Re: higher education [Re: Blastrid]
    #3357471 - 11/13/04 08:49 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

ive been playing guitar since 7th grade, and im a senior at USC now.

So im looking for a post-grad option, not undergraduate.

I'll look into UofA, thanks.

--Pete

--------------------

-George Gissing

--Fyodor Dostoevsky

OfflineScarfmeister
Thrill Seeker
Loc: The will to power
    #3357505 - 11/13/04 08:58 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

julliard

--------------------
--------------------
We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the fucking earth!

InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Re: higher education [Re: Scarfmeister]
    #3358413 - 11/14/04 01:02 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I attend Cal State-Northridge and I know of a few Music oriented majors who seem to like the program and see others (carrying instruments) around campus quite alot; playing in quads and such. Unsure about post-grad or how good a program it is persoally but if your interested in staying in SoCal check it out. The school is cheap thats why I attend..

--------------------
"And we, inhabitants of the great coral of the Cosmos, believe the atom (which still we cannot see) to be full matter, whereas, it too, like everything else, is but an embroidery of voids in the Void, and we give the name of being, dense and even eternal, to that dance of inconsistencies, that infinite extension that is identified with absolute Nothingness and that spins from its own non-being the illusion of everything."

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
Re: higher education [Re: DirtMcgirt]
    #3359936 - 11/14/04 12:48 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

What area of music do you want to go into as a grad-student?

If you want to go to the best, think Julliard or Berklee.

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Re: higher education [Re: Blastrid]
    #3360782 - 11/14/04 04:29 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

im looking to do performance guitar

in terms of which school, its really more of a matter of where i can go.

Ive taken lessons for a few years, and know alot of the basics, but im not sure i know enough to pass a entrance audition.

I have played, like i said, since 7th grade, and im mostly a by-ear player, and very good at doing that...im making the transition into a more structured, technical player currently.

So im really not sure what to expect, heh

--Pete

--------------------

-George Gissing

--Fyodor Dostoevsky

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

#3360842 - 11/14/04 04:42 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Try Berkelee, Kremlin. Juliard is more focused towards the classics.

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom