Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
Loc: Casing layer of hell
rye to poo/straw yields vs. rye casing yields
    #3342241 - 11/10/04 02:56 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Granted I had enough colonized rye to case 2" deep (Is this really the deepest substrate depth to which it will make a difference in production?? I don't remember where I read this) How significant would the yield difference be between this 2" pure rye casing versus spawning it to say 6" of 60% poo / 40% straw bulk substrate?
I know it all "depends" and is hard to say, but I will be strictly following ideal conditions, and I know it's possible to get some sort of guestimates from the wise men. What do you guys think, is it gonna be worth my extra work?

Edited by spliffmasta (11/10/04 02:57 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinerezzan1
Namumsawitch
 User Gallery

Re: rye to poo/straw yields vs. rye casing yields [Re: spliffmasta]
    #3342451 - 11/10/04 03:43 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

IME yeild will depend mostly on a level pin set, but if you have a sraight evan pinset on both poo would defiantly give you a bigger yield. But a 2 inch depth of rye would also put out a good yeild.

Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
Re: rye to poo/straw yields vs. rye casing yields [Re: rezzan1]
    #3342464 - 11/10/04 03:46 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Is rye limited somehow that having it at depths of that of bulk does not benefit like bulk substrate does? Would 6" of grain produce equal to 6" of bulk?

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
    #3342528 - 11/10/04 03:56 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

six inches of grain=contam farm imo.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Offlineazurescens
    #3342534 - 11/10/04 03:57 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Poo/straw wll almost always produce biiger yields and bigger fruitbodies.

Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
Re: rye to poo/straw yields vs. rye casing yields [Re: azurescens]
    #3342558 - 11/10/04 04:01 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Will vermic server as a substitute for straw to help aerate poo?

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
    #3342662 - 11/10/04 04:20 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

yes you can add verm to poo if you want it to hold more moisture without becoming muddy, and it will fluff it up a bit, but i love using a 80/20 straw poop, trying to get poop to colonise fast without straw is hell, but straw and poop working as a team is an un beatable substrate. mycel just rips through straw like mad.

add whatever you want to it, coir, verm, peat, anything.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: rye to poo/straw yields vs. rye casing yields [Re: Psychoslut]
    #3343121 - 11/10/04 06:10 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

See the thing is your ratio of spawn is fucked. If you do what you just said you wont get much more out of it. 2 inches of rye vs 6 inches of straw..especially considering youll get more flushes from the rye then the straw..the amount will be amount the same over all most likly (though straw will give you bigger ones). BUT..you should be using about 10% for a spawn ratio so if you have enough rye to do 2" thats enough spawn to do TWENTY inches of straw..that would create ALOT more mushrooms then your 2" of rye. Alot more work though...

I've done both and personally I prefer to do the less work and just do up more grain. Straw is just a pain in the ass for me to do because of my living situation (middle of town were police sit in apartment..hard to bring in bails of straw which is what I'd need to do all straw instead of rye) but if you can do the straw to get say 3 6" casings of the same size as your 2" rye casing and use all that to spawn to the straw youll end up with tons more..this is how you make bulk work for you.

Oh and straw isnt just for aeration, it is nutrious and will work much better then verm in poo, not that verm wouldnt work..I also say you go with the straw though. I was also stoned earlier and didnt relize you were talking about poo/straw mix and everything I said about compared yeilds were straw vs grain..straw/poo at 6" would probably do slightly better then 2" of rye but not enough to warrent the extra work..however using the spawn as I said above to spawn to 3 6" tubs of shit/straw will give you way more shrooms then the 2 inches of rye in one tub you start out with.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Edited by scatmanrav (11/11/04 01:19 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate