Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
Pan. subbs everywhere!!(PICS) * 1
    #334010 - 06/04/01 11:44 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Man, I finally scored big on the subbs. A horse pasture not a half mile from my house has pounds of these fruiting everywhere, and I never knew it, or even bothered to check the pasture. I had to leave after 10 minutes cuz I had all I could carry, I wasn't expecting to find shrooms :) I'll be going back later to day for the rest, and to take some pics in the field. But for now, here is what I found so far,and a few pics of the harvest. Pics in the field are yet to come.

Lizard King,

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: Pan. subbs everywhere!!(PICS) [Re: Lizard King]
    #334020 - 06/04/01 12:03 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Damn... nice pickin's L.K.

Offlineshorty
journeyman
Re: Pan. subbs everywhere!!(PICS) [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #334078 - 06/04/01 01:26 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Isn't it great! I never knew Pans grew this much. This is definately my best year already. I've probably picked a quarter pound just walking from the bus stop to my house. I love it. Good pictures by the way.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #334150 - 06/04/01 02:44 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Hi Lizard King, that is a good score.

I would suggest that if you want the collecting of this species to look nice than carry a cardboard box and lay the mushrooms in the box carefully after you pick them so they stay in the same condition they were when they were found.

Otherwise a plastic baggie or a paper bag would cause much damage to the mushrooms causing them to break all apart and become yucky.

I learned this a long time ago. They break up so easily.

I also recommend a cardboard box such as a ritz cracker box for collectiong Copelandia mushrooms. You do not want those damaged from poor air curculation when picking them.. Copelandias rot to a bluish-black color when improperly stored while collecting casueing them to lose potency.

The Pn. subs have a redish stem which browns after picking and this tends to hidd e the blue oxidation color which occurs from handling this speies.

Carry a small open 8? 13 inch by 6 inches deep box in your hand the exact way you would carry a cup of hot coffee so as not to disturb a single specimen which you may have placed in such box. This causes no damage to the shrooms then and you just lay each mushroom into the box facing the same direction and carry it carefull so nothing moves around.

When using a bag or baggie, everything gets swished back and forth and this causes oxidation and a loss of chemical activity.

I have used that method for almost 27 years or longer.

Mjshroomer

Shit, seems like it all began yesterday.

mj

Have a shroomy day and may all of your days be shroomy.

Next time take some of the younger specimens and post some pictures of the gill structures and the odd shapes of the caps which are not really semetrically round but have distorions in the circle of their shapes. That is one of the many characteristiscs of this mushroom.

Also the striate vertical lines running up and downt he length of the stem which also spiral up the stem.

Mj

Edited by mjshroomer on 06/04/01 04:47 PM.

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Re: Pan. subbs everywhere!!(PICS) [Re: mjshroomer]
    #334156 - 06/04/01 02:50 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, I know they got a bit beat up, but hey, when your not expecting to find shrooms, you don't always have a box handy ya know :) I was taking a walk when I decided to stop and check the field for the hell of it, I had no idea I'd find more than I could carry.

I also found out last year that bags of any kind are no good for shroom picking. I have a coil basket that I use to pick, and thats what I'll be taking back out there in about 10 minutes or so. They are very brittle mushrooms,I learned that today. Iguess all the rain we've been getting has weakend the mushrooms a bit, some were actually quite sturdy.

Edited by Lizard King on 06/04/01 04:52 PM.

--------------------

Invisiblepash420
    #334162 - 06/04/01 02:57 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

what part of the country do you live in if you don't mind me asking and o yeah more thing where in the field did you find them growing.... on the dung on the field in large grass what?

For long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be
(Pink Floyd)

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Re: Pan. subbs everywhere!!(PICS) [Re: pash420]
    #334251 - 06/04/01 04:54 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

I'm in Georgia, around ATL. Found them growing from composted horse dung under the trees, only a few were in the open field.

--------------------

Anonymous

#334323 - 06/04/01 06:12 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Pan. subbs. HeHe I found them in the weirdest of places mixed with cop. cyans and growing in the grass, no dung in site. Pictures to come. This is the weirdest of finds for me. I did once find a P. cubensis fruiting in a landscape bed of a hotel on South Beach but that one was nothing like this. It is fucking incredible. Miami, Florida- St. Augustine grass- no manure= Pan. subbs and Cop. cyans. Go figure!!!!!!
By the way How potent are the Pan. subbs?

Edited by Teonan on 06/04/01 08:38 PM.

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Re: Pan. subbs everywhere!!(PICS) [Re: ]
    #334341 - 06/04/01 06:37 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Probably Panaeolus castaneifolius, they look very similar to Pan. subb, and are probably about equal in potency. You better check those copes, there are alot of panaeolus that look like copes, alot! If those things didn't stain dark indigo blue, they aren't copes. Copes fruit directly from dung, and I've never seen an exception, there would have to be freshly imported manure in that lawn for there to be copes. Just be sure about them before you eat, there are some species of conocybe that are poisonous and look very similar to copelandias.

--------------------

Anonymous

#334366 - 06/04/01 07:03 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

They stain blue!!!!!! The pan. subb's look like yours, but I've never seen one before in person. Like I said I live in the deep south. But I will say this. These were growing on imported grass, no where else. Iv'e never seen these down here, and I grew up here. I lived in Gainsville for four years, and never saw them there. They are not from here. What color spore print are the conocybe's? These are definetly active, I just can't put a label to them exactly. No microscope to look at spores. All other identifying characteristics say Cop. cyans. Only habitat is in question!!!

InvisibleAIRDOG
Male User Gallery

Loc: world's shroom capital
    #334385 - 06/04/01 07:18 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Excellent find lizard king... i would like to find some pan subbs, i hope they grow in mexico once i saw a cow shit full of subb looking mushrooms... but since i had so much p. cubensis i didnt checked em... hope to get some mexicana?s also..

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Re: Pan. subbs everywhere!!(PICS) [Re: AIRDOG]
    #334601 - 06/04/01 10:14 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Conocybes usually have a rustty to orange colored spores. I'm not going to doubt your word, just be sure of what you have, and have a great time :)

I hope you find someof those mexi hats too, airdog! I'd love a wild print if you find more mexicana this year, maybe a trade or something? Get some caerulescens too! Good luck with your mushroom hunting :)

--------------------

Anonymous

#335036 - 06/05/01 09:27 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Lizard king
They are definetly Pans. of some kind. Not cyans. or subbs. The specimens I picked had dried up by that night. They dried with golden tops, like cubensis. The only visible bluing in a dry state is at the base of the stem and up to about two inches on the stem. When they are fresh some had bluing in the scaling of the cap. Some of them look like a mix between a Pan. foensi and a Pan. subb, they have the belt around the cap margin. They are large compared to the Psytheralla look-alikes and don't dry to nothing. But they are not as thick as a subb. They are probably related to the Pan. foensi. The second one looks like a cop. cyan wet. This one had bluing in the cracks of the cap when wet. But it dried to a golden color. These had the bluing up the base of the stem when wet and dried. Both have dark black spore prints. I don't no what they are, but they are rare for down here. Very interesting. It is pouring down rain right now, hopefully more will pop up for tommorow morning. This morning there were none. If they come up again, I will post pictures of them growing in the grass.

Anonymous

Re: Pan. subbs everywhere!!(PICS) [Re: ]
    #335173 - 06/05/01 12:52 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

This is one type I found. Black print. Bluing only at base of stalk where it was attached to the mycelium on the rhizomes of the grass. Can't find the second type yet. In between a Pan. foenisecii and a Psathyrella gracilis.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract