Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinenu2mycology
trying out pooh
 User Gallery

Loc: Florida USA
What specifically causes cobweb?
    #3312964 - 11/03/04 05:07 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Yesterday I put a dozen casings in the fruiting chamber,1 casing had a good case of cobweb and I immediately tossed it. (While they were in the incubator they were in sterlite containers with the lids on)
  Now today when I checked in on them there was the beginnings of cobweb on a couple other casings. Only a few small spots though. So I am going to try to segregate the infected ones and combat them with peroxide/water mixture.
Is there something that particularly causes this? Is there any extra precautions I could take to prevent this? I also had 2 quarts out of 85 that was contaminated with the dreaded cobweb as well,no other contams have been a problem so far with the exception of the dreaded cobweb. :smile: :confused: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :rasta:

--------------------
The author of this lies more than the government and you should not believe anything he writes!

Edited by nu2mycology (11/03/04 05:10 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Re: What specifically causes cobweb? [Re: nu2mycology]
    #3312980 - 11/03/04 05:24 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Obviously, cobweb mold spores.

You need to be cleaner.

It sounds like your house/work area is contaminated with cobweb mold(spores).

InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3312999 - 11/03/04 05:59 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

nu2mycology said:
(While they were in the incubator they were in sterlite containers with the lids on)

I think now you know why we cover our casings with foil =)

--------------------
Self Healing lid tek ** Update 10.17.17 **
Mini casing pictures: Pins to harvest
Cup O' Shrooms
Magash:  I noticed my contams were in the shape of fingers :whack:
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #3313023 - 11/03/04 06:21 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

>when I checked in on them there was the beginnings of cobweb on a couple other casings.

Are you sure it is cobweb and not mycelium?
Check the contamination faq
http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23418
for images of cobweb and compare to what you have.

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
Re: What specifically causes cobweb? [Re: Citric]
    #3313024 - 11/03/04 06:22 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

i cant see using alum. foil lid rather than the lid that comes with the sterlite containers inducing any less contams. If both lids were properly whiped down, there shouldn't be a difference. If neither lids were not whiped down, there shouldn't be a difference.

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

Offlinecall_me_kido
Philosopher
 User Gallery

Loc: In your dreams
Re: What specifically causes cobweb? [Re: Anno]
    #3313044 - 11/03/04 06:35 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Anno said:
>when I checked in on them there was the beginnings of cobweb on a couple other casings.

Are you sure it is cobweb and not mycelium?
Check the contamination faq
http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23418
for images of cobweb and compare to what you have.

Wow those pictures are scarier then any horror film.

Kido

--------------------
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
- Albert Einstein (1875-1955)

"A is A" -Aristotle

Offlinenu2mycology
trying out pooh
 User Gallery

Loc: Florida USA
Re: What specifically causes cobweb? [Re: Anno]
    #3313048 - 11/03/04 06:43 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I'm pretty darn sure it isn't myceleum. It looks just like the cobweb that quickly overcame 2 of my quarts.
I just sprayed it with water/peroxide and it seemed to disappear as it was sprayed. I will be keeping a close eye on it! :smile: :mushroom2: :sun: :rasta:

--------------------
The author of this lies more than the government and you should not believe anything he writes!

InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What specifically causes cobweb? [Re: derx] * 1
    #3313168 - 11/03/04 07:37 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

derx said:
i cant see using alum. foil lid rather than the lid that comes with the sterlite containers inducing any less contams. If both lids were properly whiped down, there shouldn't be a difference. If neither lids were not whiped down, there shouldn't be a difference.

Lids are air tight, foil is not. When you introduce a moist casing layer ontop of a nutrient rich substrate, you are going to have moisture buildup. Without ventalation, that is a contam hotel.

--------------------
Cup O' Shrooms
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
    #3313196 - 11/03/04 07:46 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I have never run across a rubbermaid/sterlite container that had an air-tight lid. Infact, I would say that tinfoil has the potential to be more air tight than any tub lid.

I used both cling-wrap and tinfoil on my casings.

That isn't his problem. Cobweb mold or any other contam doesen't just spontaneously sprout up. He needs to keep the contamination from reaching his substrate in the first place.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of shrooms. Or something.

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What specifically causes cobweb? [Re: discman1]
    #3313205 - 11/03/04 07:51 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

discman1 said:

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of shrooms. Or something.

:lol:
Now that is a good one!

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

#3313553 - 11/03/04 09:16 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

discman1 said:
I have never run across a rubbermaid/sterlite container that had an air-tight lid. Infact, I would say that tinfoil has the potential to be more air tight than any tub lid.

That isn't his problem. Cobweb mold or any other contam doesen't just spontaneously sprout up. He needs to keep the contamination from reaching his substrate in the first place.

--------------------

InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What specifically causes cobweb? [Re: derx]
    #3313917 - 11/03/04 10:08 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Dont listen to me then.

When it boils down to it.  You have contams and I dont :stonedjerk:

--------------------
Cup O' Shrooms

My final Grow!

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
    #3314068 - 11/03/04 10:28 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Citric said:
Dont listen to me then.

When it boils down to it.  You have contams and I dont :stonedjerk:

That isn't what we're trying to say.... I wasn't trying to come across like an ass or anything, but it's true. Examine any tub lid.. You will find that most of them are warped and don't even come close to sealing. Many of them have reinforcement bridges that flat-out prevent sealing, because in most cases you want the things you're storing to be able to breathe.

Just apply the same logic that applies to jars. They have very little ventilation, but they definately don't contam just because of that fact.

There is only one explination, that there are cobweb mold spores somewhere in his environment. Some got onto his casing substrate, and germinated. He could leave his casings out in the open with no cover at all, and if there are cobweb spores present, they will land and grow. The bottom line is that he needs to be more sterile in his environment, practices and procedures.

:smile:

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

#3314248 - 11/03/04 10:53 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

discman and I have no contams. I was just saying that your evidence doesn't support your theory. Mold doesn't just appear because of conditions, it must germinate from spores.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What specifically causes cobweb? [Re: derx]
    #3315582 - 11/03/04 02:53 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Most of them ARE sealed and pretty damn much air tight. The spores are introduced during making the casing. Note the poster says it quickly overtook 2 jars. This means the spores were in the house. The casings weren't made in a sterile enough enviroment the mold spores landed..were covered with something that holds in air MUCH better then tin foil. Kept it stagnant and started them going.

Sorry guys but listen to Citrics experience at this point, he's right, he just didn't explain that mold spores are everywhere and land on your casing and airflow is what helps to them to not germinate.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Re: What specifically causes cobweb? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3315858 - 11/03/04 04:23 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

You're kidding right? A tub will not hold any positive or negative pressure. It won't even hold water. Try it; put some water in one and turn it upside down. It will leak like a sieve. The reinforcement ribs that line the sealing-edge of the lid physically hold it off the sealing-surface of the tub.

There is a 1/8" or so gap between the lid and the tub all the way around on mine.

Here's a pic of the ribs to illustrate:

Tubs and their lids are mass produced, they aren't precision and most only have two latching points.

I tried maybe a dozen lids on half a dozen tubs when I was shopping at wal-mart, and picked the two that fit the best together. It is still warped though - the NE and SW corners don't even contact the tub, you can press them down with your fingers, but it's not as bad as some of them were. I'm pretty sure that I could get foil to seal better than the lid on any tub.

It doesen't matter though, we both agree where the problem is - in his house/work area. It's just that we need to cite the correct problem or it isn't going to help him find a cure. He asked what "causes" cobweb mold, and the correct answer is that cobweb mold spores do. Even if anaerobic conditions are a contributing factor, that is not the cause.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound anal... I just don't want there to be any confusion.

:smile:

Edit: I would like to add that I could be thinking of completely the wrong tubs. I was assuming that these are rubbermaid-style tubs, not tupperware which does have positive sealing all the way around the circumference of the lid. If that is the case, I appologize.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3316780 - 11/03/04 07:51 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Were talking about Sterilite containers..the small ones used for smaller casings of a quart or so DO seal airtight. I just did go grab one and fill it with water and flipped it. I also did so with glad containers I have, shoebox containers (the plastic ones with snap on lids), and tupperware containers. All of which held upsidedown without leaking.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinephantasm
DXM GURU
    #3316882 - 11/03/04 08:13 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

yeah i dont think anyone is talking about his terrarium but more his casing boxes which if i used the lids for mine theyd seal pretty damn near airtight

-mike

--------------------
Only God Grows Amanita Muscaria

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
    #3317174 - 11/03/04 09:05 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
Were talking about Sterilite containers..the small ones used for smaller casings of a quart or so DO seal airtight. I just did go grab one and fill it with water and flipped it. I also did so with glad containers I have, shoebox containers (the plastic ones with snap on lids), and tupperware containers. All of which held upsidedown without leaking.

Weird, what model number/size are your containers? That is exactly what it is.. in that picture that is.. a small sterilite tub. It wouldn't hold water if it had to(while upside down)!  :shocked:

I'd be interested in some of the ones that seal better.. I'll have to go looking around.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale