Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
Lets make our Convolvulaceae bloom! (HBWR, Rivea, Morning Glory..)
    #3307972 - 11/02/04 04:33 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Hi everybody...
The discussion in the Rivea post was very good, so I decided to make this post.

I have always had difficulty to make my Convolvulaceae to bloom (Argyreia nervosa, Ipomoea alba), but down the streets it's very common to see Ipomoea alba (its large white nocturnal morning glory flower) and even Ipomoea purpurea flowering in the city and in the country, roadsides, reminescent native woods...
But not in my house. Why? I don't know. My thoughts is that they're not getting light enough. Thinking better of the spots I've seen it bloom, they were 'arizona sun' spots.
If the light cycle was to be simulated indoors I believe it would require a higher wattage than for the usual plants per square foot, perhaps something in the order of cactus or perhaps cannabis growing lights...
The light cycle... I still have to check how long is the day length in the top of the summer before we can arrange a light cycle... I would guess something like ~14/10 for flowering...
Another factor that I find in nature that could play its role is the extreme heat where it grows... The leaves often fall wilted but they're fine, they're very resistent. BTW this is what I've observed about Ipomoea purpurea and alba.
I think it's all about light. My Argyreia is now taking FULL sun all day long up on the neighbors rooftop... Leaves head large... Lets hope for the flowers!

FH

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
Re: Lets make our Convolvulaceae bloom! (HBWR, Rivea, Morning Glory..) [Re: felixhigh]
    #3308182 - 11/02/04 07:57 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

yeah this is greast, let's see those ideas coming, it seems like alot of people have troubble with their HBWR...

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

OfflineErythroxylon
Stranger

Re: Lets make our Convolvulaceae bloom! (HBWR, Rivea, Morning Glory..) [Re: gdman]
    #3308311 - 11/02/04 08:41 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I dont know about hbwr or rivea, never growed them but I have morning glory. first of all. you give morning glories little fertilizer, full sun and not too moist soil so you get more foliage than flowers. You can put on a 1000 W hps on this plant but it will not flower because of that. I think your plan will only make the plant grows faster, not produce flowers.

Take your morning glory outdoors, somewhere with partly sun even if the seed package says full sun, and you will have a better chance for flowering. mg is either way a superfast growing vine that are best suitable outdoors .

if you still want to do everything indoors I would look more into fertilizing, watering and the temps more than photo period and bulb wattage.

but i am no expert on these vines. just my 2C

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: Lets make our Convolvulaceae bloom! (HBWR, Rivea, Morning Glory..) [Re: Erythroxylon]
    #3309651 - 11/02/04 02:38 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

although not lsa containg ones teh morning glories here are still flowering. these guys are growing in very moist VERY well lit places. here they dont seem to like full direct sun. they grow around bushes and in ditches here. they get sun teh full time its out but maybe only 1-2 hours a day of direct sun(now, in late fall). they other thing they do is they seem to send up runners or somthing to flower. they never flower down low here, always up a plant or raised somehow. im just thinking out loud sort of speak but i think it may have somthing to do with combo of full sun and shade. perhaps teh majority of the plant prefers to be down low with full direct sun above that it can send runners up to. seems a little far fetched but its what *seems* to happen here growing wild.

just thought a little more about the "runners" that they send up. it gets kinda cold here at night, frost is now most days. so maybe teh cold nights/bright sunny days have somthing to do with it?

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Re: Lets make our Convolvulaceae bloom! (HBWR, Rivea, Morning Glory..) [Re: felixhigh]
    #3309990 - 11/02/04 03:28 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I made a post regarding this at the e-dot forums, so more entheo fans will be able to put some imput in.

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Loc: Aotearoa
Re: Lets make our Convolvulaceae bloom! (HBWR, Rivea, Morning Glory..) [Re: gdman]
    #3310749 - 11/02/04 05:51 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Where are the e-dot forums at? I'm keen on finding more cool message boards like this one. Oh and as for the blooming, I've got some HWBR growing now but they're only a couple of months old (about 4 normal leaves now each) so I don't know if they'll bloom this year at any rate. I'm going to be putting them outdoor in Nelson, New Zealand, which is at the 41st parallel so if they ever get a bloomin there I'll let you guys know. Apparently there is a NZ 'variety' of HWBR so I am kind of hopeful. I only saw it mentioned in one little bit of writing somewhere though so who knows.

As for rivea, I've got about 30 seeds of that which I'm wanting to get started...is it similar to grow to HWBR and MG?

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Re: Lets make our Convolvulaceae bloom! (HBWR, Rivea, Morning Glory..) [Re: zee_werp]
    #3310756 - 11/02/04 05:53 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

#3334253 - 11/08/04 06:53 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

bump.tehres a few others opinions i was hoping to see on the matter. hope they see the thread and post somthing.

--------------------

OfflineAlsius
Non-photo Blue

Re: Lets make our Convolvulaceae bloom! (HBWR, Rivea, Morning Glory..) [Re: kadakuda]
    #3334321 - 11/08/04 07:08 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I have found regular old morning glories(heavenly blue, flying saucers, etc.) very easy to bloom. If you've got very very lush green growth then cut back the water by alot and blooms will surely arrive. They also produce wildly and you've plenty for next year.

Rivea, rivea, rivea. Sigh. She sure is adamant about this whole not flowering thing. Things I've tried: when the seedlings were transplanted into the garden I laid a decent amount of bone meal and blood meal in the hole. I regular fertilized with Earth juice(grow for a little while, then only bloom and generous with it) and alaskan fish fertilizer. Regular treatments of bone meal as well, at one point I was doing so weekly. Completely stopped watering for several weeks. The bugger never wilted a bit, but also never flowered. Tried giving her a trellis, but she wrapped herself in it and plowed it down. It goes where it pleases now. 9 months is how old it is too. I'm sure I could have at least grabbed a good photo period for flowering in that time period. I also live in zone 9 which I believe would be ideal. Very very mysterious.

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Lets make our Convolvulaceae bloom! (HBWR, Rivea, Morning Glory..) [Re: Alsius]
    #3334351 - 11/08/04 07:16 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I thought I would post some links to other threads on the matter to kind of help make this sort of a central reference point on the matter.

Thread entitled "Some nice Rivea and a few others":
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3331769/an/0/page/0

Thread entitled "Rivea"
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3299379/page//fpart/1/vc/1

Thread entitled "LSA content in Foliage of Morning Glory Vines"
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...a9d8145d07469d6

I would like to see this thread end up containing a wealth of information on these vines, since I feel that the amount of information out there currently is very lacking.

edit:

Motivation:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rue#Post2024785

--------------------

Without love in the dream
It will never come true

Edited by Hooty (11/08/04 07:30 PM)

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Lets make our Convolvulaceae bloom! (HBWR, Rivea, Morning Glory..) [Re: Hooty]
    #3334370 - 11/08/04 07:21 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

I'm sure I could have at least grabbed a good photo period for flowering in that time period. I also live in zone 9 which I believe would be ideal. Very very mysterious.

This assumption could me erroneous in two ways...
First if the desired photo period was early in it's nine months of life, it could have been too young and underdeveloped to flower.
Second, maybe it needs a prolongued period of the desired photoperiod, longer that what it was able to get from where you live.

I doubt the first is the problem however, because I'm fairly sure I've heard reports of people with several year old Riveas that still haven't flowered.

The second seems more likely to me, but it's hard to know for sure.

The best way to find out would be to grow indoors where the light cycle can be controlled and and simply experiment with photoperiod until some kind of conclusion is made.

edit: on the last part of your statement, I too feel that zone 9 would be a fine level of hardiness...

--------------------

It will never come true

Edited by Hooty (11/08/04 07:23 PM)

OfflineAlsius
Non-photo Blue

Re: Lets make our Convolvulaceae bloom! (HBWR, Rivea, Morning Glory..) [Re: Hooty]
    #3334384 - 11/08/04 07:24 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Yes, I think I've come to the conclusion that the only reasonable thing could be photoperiod. I wish that Salvia chap would show his face and give us some advice here  :cool:

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Lets make our Convolvulaceae bloom! (HBWR, Rivea, Morning Glory..) [Re: Alsius]
    #3334404 - 11/08/04 07:32 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I really doubt he even used artificial lighting...if I remember he grows most of his indoor plants in south facing windows, and the fact that he mentions in the thread where he shows the pictures of the rivea flowers that he gave them minimal care to mee seems to affirm this assumption.

--------------------

It will never come true

OfflineAlsius
Non-photo Blue

#3334431 - 11/08/04 07:40 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

For reference the thread in question:

Rivea Corymbrosa flower pics by SalviaEngland.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rue#Post2024729

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

#3334501 - 11/08/04 08:01 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah I had added that to my list of links above...but no worries.

--------------------

It will never come true

InvisibleKOPELANDIAA
Stranger
Loc: under a pine
    #3335951 - 11/09/04 02:35 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

hmm sorry , but SalviaEngland's "rivea flowers" aren't Rivea flowers in my opinion. Rivea flowers are white and with a different shape.
http://www.erowid.org/plants/show_image.php?i=morning_glory/rivea_corymbosa6.jpg

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
    #3335957 - 11/09/04 02:48 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

morning glory, will bloom easy enough all by itself if you grow it outside. my mom had some growing on a trellis outside, when i was a kid. i remember it grew all kinds of flowers. she never did anything specail to it but let it grow.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

Re: Lets make our Convolvulaceae bloom! (HBWR, Rivea, Morning Glory..) [Re: Psychoslut]
    #3335980 - 11/09/04 03:27 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

ya MG's are easy. but i think what this thread is aimed at is specifically HBWR and Rivea. they seem to be the buggers that wont go.

--------------------

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
Re: Lets make our Convolvulaceae bloom! (HBWR, Rivea, Morning Glory..) [Re: kadakuda]
    #3336855 - 11/09/04 11:01 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I grew hbwr for a few years and never got seed. It flowered all right, I got hundreds of flowers every season but not a seed. I tried hand pollenating it and cross pollenating it from a different seed grown plant. Nothing worked. I got so disgusted with it I cut them all down about 7 or 8 years ago. The stem was 2" thick.

Rivea I've been growing for close to 2 years now and never got a flower. It may be the street lights that mess up the photo period. They may need total darkness to flower. Some plants won't flower if there is a full moon so a street light might seem like the moon.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
Re: Lets make our Convolvulaceae bloom! (HBWR, Rivea, Morning Glory..) [Re: Stonehenge]
    #3337130 - 11/09/04 12:19 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

what latitude do you live at stoney?

FH

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals