Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJaRRn
Lost in Space
Male User Gallery

Loc: Standing on the Cosmic Sh...
WBS - Casing Question
    #3295766 - 10/29/04 11:05 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Hi,

Im using WBS and was wondering is it best to add your coir/verm casing layer after 100% colonization or can you add it even before you PC it.

I want to Add the layer before I PC to sterlise everything in one hit so I dont have to expose it to the air ever.

What do you reckon ? Yah / Nah ?

Thanks.

edit: There will be 4 injection points, so I dont have to shake.

Edited by JaRRn (10/29/04 11:26 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleNewfoundFreedom
Manure whore

Re: WBS - Casing Question [Re: JaRRn]
    #3295967 - 10/30/04 12:09 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I'm not too clear on what you're asking here, but if you were to add a casing layer before you pc, you would just be doing a small casing in a jar. You might want to look up some casing TEKS. Traditionally for a casing you either break up your colonized substrate from multiple jars into a casing container, or if you're using spawn you add that to your uncolonized substrate and then case.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: WBS - Casing Question [Re: NewfoundFreedom]
    #3296360 - 10/30/04 04:51 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Newfound..hes refering to the "Ziplock Tek" by magash..make the casing up in the container (ziplock one with a tyvek peice fitted into the lid) and PC the whole thing (almost any container with a 5 in the triangle). Then you just knock it up and wait until its colonized then fruit.

The problem Magash found with adding the casing layer prior to PCing was alot of overlay...hard to get the myc to colonize the substrate and not the casing layer..especially if you have to inject on to the casing layer. Even just putting the rye in will help (and the bottom casing layer if you use one) because once opened youll have a solid brick of myc which wont contam and could be cased open air in just about any clean environment no problem unlike when you have to break it up from jars. You could also possibly put a VERY thing (1/4" or less?) casing layer on top..then add a little more (another 1/2" or so for a total of 3/4 of an inch) once cased.

Personally if I were to use the tek (can do more grain in jars then in casing containers so although it saves breaking it up..its a pain to me) I would add the grain..much as want only and PC that up. One injection point (all them injection points can get you contams..unlike the PF tek you have no dry verm barrier) and shake it. It will shake sooo easily and colonize VERY quickly. Then pop off the lid when ready..throw on casing..throw lid back on and back in incubator till myc pops up..patch and fruit!

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag