Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewhitegreyhat
Huge

Loc: Northeast USA
Interesting specimens ? ID?
    #3294262 - 10/29/04 03:09 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

we didnt pick any of these but they were found growing in the woods near near a stream.  The weather has been sort of cold up here, which is why i am surprised there always seems to be many in this particular area that me and my friend frequent, in upstate ny.
:thumbup:

:confused:these are some weird bluesh/green ones we found growing on a log... They did have stems but were very short :confused:

I couldnt identify any of them but does anyone have any ideas? :sun:  We might go back and pick some if they are something "cool" :mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Interesting specimens ? ID? [Re: whitegreyhat]
    #3294385 - 10/29/04 03:32 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

The first 3 mushrooms look very similar to the deadly Galerina autumnalis. Congrats, your first deadly specimen!  :wink:

I'm not sure why, but the second species makes me think Marasmius sp. for some reason.

The last ones appear to be some sort of oyster mushroom. I think DH or ToxicMan might be better at IDing these than myself.

As usual, it's not going to be possible to make a 100% ID on any of them without the regular required things(spore prints, smell, brusing, etc.)

Offlinewhitegreyhat
Huge

Re: Interesting specimens ? ID? [Re: Gumby]
    #3294448 - 10/29/04 03:44 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

thanks a lot gumby, yah we didnt feel likepicking them to get prints or anything because everything we pick we pretty much chuck out so lol.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #3294507 - 10/29/04 04:01 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Those last ones do look to be one of the various kinds of Oyster Mushrooms. Just from what little I can see in the photos I'd say they look similar to Panellus serotinus, the Late Oyster Mushroom.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinewhitegreyhat
Huge

Re: Interesting specimens ? ID? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #3294624 - 10/29/04 04:47 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

is panellus serotinus posionous or edible psychoactive?

im lookingat panellus and it does looklike them butthe color,the way it gets darker on the edges, isnt consistent with what i am seeing, not saying you are wrong but its interesting...

Edited by whitegreyhat (10/29/04 04:49 PM)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #3295310 - 10/29/04 08:31 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Panellus serotinus is listed in my books as edible but not very good, and often becoming bitter (inedible) as they get older.

Note please that I said "they look similar to Panellus serotinus". I'm not saying that they are that species, just that there is a resemblance. I also considered the time of year, which is a relevant identification feature.

For an accurate ID you need a lot more information than all but a few of the descriptions out here provide.

As far as the edge of a cap in a photo you've found not being quite the same, all mushrooms have a fair amount of variability, and photographers tend to take photos of the prettiest specimens available. Using photographs to identify mushrooms can be helpful, but it is not a good method for making accurate IDs. Lots of people are poisoned every year because something they ate looked "just like" a photo they saw. After you think you've found a possible match with a photo, you need to also compare the specimen(s) against the text description. Any significant deviation from the text description indicates that it's not a true match. Most books also will mention some similar species that can be considered for an ID.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinearbalest
wut kent?
Male

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
    #3296636 - 10/30/04 07:55 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Ahh, I'm only new, but when I saw that first picture, I instantly thought of Galerina, because of the appearance, and because it was growing next to some kind of moss on that log. Like I said I'm only new, but the first picture to me looks similar to Galerina hypnorum.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck