Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
Sterile environment (and a little popcorn) :)
    #3279810 - 10/26/04 02:17 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Hello I forgot to ask this.

Im planning to set up my own small scale mushroom growery...

The Plan!
- PC Cook 10 pf jars with the BRF water and vermiculite
- Inoculate them with GT syringe
- Colonize in tub in tub
- 3 roll & dunk, 3 plain cakes, and I want to case 4 of them
- Fruiting in a PMP

The Question!

I dont have a sterile environment, they must be placed in my computerroom, or at the 3rd floor.
Is it worth to put them on some alcohol-cleaned square meters plastic?

Or what else sould I do, how big are contamination risks?

Thanks 4 ur help,

MF

--------------------

Edited by MushroomFriend (11/08/04 08:45 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSilven
Male

Loc: El Mexicano
Re: Sterile environment [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3279832 - 10/26/04 02:20 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

As long as the inside of your fruiting chamber is sterile and your cakes are 100% colonized before putting them in there, there shouldn't be any real big issues with contams as long as you aren't trying to fruit them in a highly contaminated room (i.e. garbage bags, old pop cans, fruit flies).

Just keep the lid on your PMP until you're fanning, then immediately replace the lid to prevent excess contam chances.  You should be fine! :thumbup:

Mine are on the floor in my closet with all my clothes.  No contams whatsoever.

- Silven

--------------------
What do you bring to the table?

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Re: Sterile environment [Re: Silven]
    #3279884 - 10/26/04 02:28 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Yow Silven,

Thanks again for your fast reply! I must give you some shrooms you often answer my newbe questions! :mushroom2:

Ok I am happy to hear so.. Actually I am not planning to fan a lot (if at all). But maybe I will spray some in addition so then the lid will be removed for some seconds now and then!

The PMP will have a geolite layer with 1/4 of water (with some 3% waterperoxyde))..
In the water will be two 7 inch long airstones with a pump attached which circulates about 200 liters (air) an hour. Maybe also a contamination source?

Anyway I have read that I dont need to fan much an if I am lucky I dont have to moisture much either by hand...

Thanks again Silven, I have regained my 100% faith! :laugh:

MF

--------------------

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

1st growing experiment also popcorn [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3332585 - 11/08/04 08:32 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Hello all,

After  a ban I am back to update you.. :smile:

The situation now is I made 8 PF cakes and with the remaining sporeliquid in the syringe (not much only 1/8 1/9 of the syringe was left ) i did not make a cake but I inoculated a jar (pint) of popcorn with it. I filled the jar for 3/4 4/5 with PC-ed popcorn, the jar I PC-ed almost an hour as well.

And now they are here! But my aquariumheater still has not arrived yet which sucks cause my plan was to test before start but I could not wait! :laugh:

In the lid I made one hole which i stuffed with polyfilter material, to inoculate I took it away for 10 seconds... Then put it back with the alufoil. Now my future friends stand here in 72F...

What do you guys think, will there be enough spores in the popcorn jar to have it properly colonized?

Thanks and all the best,
MF

--------------------

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Re: 1st growing experiment also popcorn [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3332600 - 11/08/04 08:37 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

You're going to need to spray the cakes....

InvisibleKyKid
Stranger
    #3332606 - 11/08/04 08:40 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

it should colonize with virtually two single spore i think its just it affect the colonization time alot, so you may have along wait ahead of you especially since you don't have em incubating at the right temps yet.

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Re: 1st growing experiment also popcorn [Re: discman1]
    #3332611 - 11/08/04 08:43 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Spray the cakes? While incubating? Hmmzzz... :confused:

When they are colonized I want:
2 cakes dunk an roll
2 cakes dunk
2 cakes plain
2 cakes casing
Case the popcorn

So I have a semi inspection of the differences :smile:

Regards, kind as always,

MushroomFriend

--------------------

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Re: 1st growing experiment also popcorn [Re: KyKid]
    #3332613 - 11/08/04 08:44 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Yeh i figured I must wait a little longer, and maybe, I was thinking that, the only difference with less spores in the popcorn jar is that it will take more time to colonize....

But is that the only thing, will it work?

--------------------

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
    #3332616 - 11/08/04 08:46 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

No, no.. Talking about when you fruit.

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

#3332622 - 11/08/04 08:49 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Im gonna use the PmP setup. Hope that it will take the sprayneeds away. As I understood it one doesnt have to spray when using PmP.

A minor conflict (RH/humidity)can occur cause the cakes will be in the same PmP as the casings.

--------------------

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
    #3332628 - 11/08/04 08:52 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

It does not negate the need to spray your cakes. They cannot absorb very much moisture from the atmosphere.. they will dry out if you don't, especially when they start to pin. I spray mine 2-3 times a day in my Perlite PMP.

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

#3332651 - 11/08/04 09:06 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I am THE newbe so I must learn, my PmP is gonna have geolite with 2 airstones and water. In the PmP-tek a la Magash it says spraying is not really needed but I will keep your suggestions definately in mind!

So thanks for that! :thumbup:

Btw the roomtemp where the jars are now is almost 80F atm! :P

Regardz,
MF

--------------------

OfflineSilven
Male

Loc: El Mexicano
    #3332715 - 11/08/04 09:30 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

MF, I don't mist mine very often either.

I mist after I roll my cakes in vermiculite, and then I continue misting until I see pins.  After that, I never mist.  Only time other water goes in my tub is when I'm replenishing the water for the perlite.

I remove my cakes after each flush and re-dunk them for 12 - 14 hours and then birth them again.  I'm actually having great flushes with BRF cakes.  My equador that I had lost all faith in recently pinned and then matured on Friday afternoon.  63 wet grams of mushrooms!!

That blows my other cakes away of my koh samui that has been producing basically 30 grams wet per flush.

As far as fanning goes, I have days where I might fan 3 times and then some days I fan once and a couple days I didn't fan at all.  The only air exchange my tub gets is through the seal in the lid since sterlite tubs don't have air-tight seals.

Tonight I begin preparation for using grains and casings though so I have a feeling I'm going to get a lot more than that even :wink:

- Silven

--------------------
What do you bring to the table?

Offlinecall_me_kido
Philosopher
 User Gallery

Loc: In your dreams
Re: 1st growing experiment also popcorn [Re: Silven]
    #3332877 - 11/08/04 10:38 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

All in all it seems you have done some sound research and have a good idea of what the process entails.

My concerns are as follows. . .

Youre obviously using Magashes grain tek or concepts from it, which is a terrific idea. But you should follow it more specifically. I think although polyfill works great for lots of people, you should be using tykek with 1in diameter holes covered for air exchange as he recommends. Removing the polyfill for 10 seconds may not seem like a big deal, but if your already concerned with your work enviornment puncturing tyvek is much safer and more sterile.

Also I know youre excited to get your grow started but 72 degree incubation temps are not even close to optimal. You should get your TiT setup prior to incubating. Although it definately shouldnt harm your cakes, it will slow their growth considerably, which will cost you more time in the long run.

Its obvious youve done your reading and I wish you lots of luck. Im sure youll do great.

Kido

Also...you do want to be able to shake your popcorn cake. When using any type of whole grain quart jars are ideal.

--------------------
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
- Albert Einstein (1875-1955)

"A is A" -Aristotle

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Re: 1st growing experiment also popcorn [Re: Silven]
    #3332895 - 11/08/04 10:44 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Hey Mister Silven!

Yes exiting stuff this is! Experimenting etc. even though I just started I have that grow fever. It is even stronger then when I was growing Marihuana back in the days.. :P Which I considered very exiting AND satisfying at that time.

And now trying to get some cakes colonizedf and a jar of popcorn temp now is almost 80F here so atm i dont need the tub in tub. But that stuff (heater) will arrive soon i hope. Cause now the room is like 80F and it is a kind of warm for me ... )

Do you have an airpump in your PmP as well? And still fan? hmmzzz

Thanks 4 your spraying suggestion, untill pinning. A lot to keep in mind, Ill have to do it with the things that remain in my memory later when the time is there! :PP

Good luck with your things,

MF

--------------------

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Re: 1st growing experiment also popcorn [Re: call_me_kido]
    #3332927 - 11/08/04 10:53 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Hey Kido,

Yes like often the project isnt working out exactly as planned. The plan was to test everything be4 using but ok I am so eager so  I started. Atm the temp is around 80F so thats fine 4 now.

Yes the contam with the popcorn, I was worried a bit bout that. I ordered tyvek envelopes but noway jose that they arrive. :frown:
But I just want to give it a shot.

The popcorn method I use is mixed from information on a swedish site and on information I found here, but the swedish link comes from the shroomery. There they seem to grow a lot on popcorn stating also it has better resistance againts contams. Slow starter with growing but accelarates fast if I am not wrong.

When I am more serious with grains I will try to have some tyvek here, but many many attempts still succeed without tyvek... :wink:

Yes I asked about that temp be4, and people told me its no fear but the mycelium just wont grow so fast.

Thanks for your post and I bet and hope I will do great, and so will  my little BIG friends!!! :laugh:

MF

BIG in spirit, ok and in size :P

--------------------

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Re: 1st growing experiment also popcorn [Re: call_me_kido]
    #3332932 - 11/08/04 10:54 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Yes thats why I did not fill the jar 100% but like 80% so I can shake it later... :thumbup: But no quart but only a pint since I did not have much syringe left, just a little more then I would need for a PF cake....

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds