Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
Shiitake substrate
    #3265500 - 10/22/04 06:22 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Hey all.  I was at the feedstore today and noticed some wood pellets for wood-burning stoves.  I believe I've seen a link where you can just staturate this stuff so it breaks down into sawdust, then pasteurize, and spawn with shiitake substrate in jars.
  I was wondering, then, would it be better to just load jars with the broken-down wood pellet slush, PC, then inoculate?  Does wood work for the jar substrate?  And how would one determine the correct water content for this kind of wood substrate--just squeeze it until it's lightly moist to the touch? 
    Thanks all!  :grin:

GB

--------------------
Jerry Garcia. JERRY GARCIA! JERRY GARCIA!!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Shiitake substrate [Re: GnuBobo]
    #3267026 - 10/23/04 04:46 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

> I was wondering, then, would it be better to just load jars with the broken-down wood pellet slush, PC, then inoculate?
> Does wood work for the jar substrate?
Should work. See this pic:

> And how would one determine the correct water content for this kind of wood substrate--just squeeze it until it's lightly moist to the touch?
When you squeeze it hard only a few drops of water should run out of it.
It it's too wet the mycelium will take ages to colonize the substrate and it is prone to contamination.

Here is a link that shows how the pellets are used for oysters:
http://www.kitchenculturekit.com/Mushroom/sawdust.htm
But I think you have to be careful when you try that out.
Make sure that the excess water can run out through holes in the bag and use a lot of grain based spawn for supplementing.
I doubt that this method works for shiitake as well - but I have never tried it you yet.

Also see the post's here:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3232169/an/0/page/0#3232169
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rue#Post2717580

InvisibleGnuBobo
 User Gallery

Re: Shiitake substrate [Re: ragadinks]
    #3267995 - 10/23/04 01:48 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks very much for the links and info.  :thumbup:

GB

--------------------

Invisibleretread
-=HasH=-
    #3268499 - 10/23/04 04:14 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Sporeworks and GGMM both talk about using hardwood saw dust. I haven't looked much but all I've found so far was sawdust from what I'm assuming to be Ponderosa pine. Will this work or should I take my chainsaw to the downed oak around my house?

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Shiitake substrate [Re: retread]
    #3271138 - 10/24/04 11:11 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Hardwood sawdust should be much better, but I also have grown shiitake and enoki on wooden fuel pellets made of fir.
But the point is that you have to supplement them quite a bit and they still do not yield as much as the ones grown on hardwood.
Somewhere I have read that nameko should do well on softwood sawdust, but I have never tried that out.
If you really have a fresh oak around the house I would inoculate it with dowels :wink:

InvisibleGnuBobo
 User Gallery

#3273013 - 10/24/04 08:24 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Ragadinks, I was surfing through Mushmush today and saw they were making some spawn bags with wood. They advised to add some oatmeal to the wood in the bags to help growth. Ever tried this?
I'm hoping to get started on some shiitake pretty soon here. My basement is perfect temp. in the winter for shiitake fruiting. Thanks!

GB

--------------------

InvisibleGnuBobo
 User Gallery

#3273023 - 10/24/04 08:26 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Sorry, I'm a dumbass.  I followed the link in the links you provided and found the ratios.  Thanks!  :thumbup:

GB

--------------------

Invisiblephalcon005

#5918102 - 07/31/06 10:01 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for mentioning seeing shiitake cultivate fir sawdust ragadinks. I've seen something similar when using fir pellets to make shiitake blocks. Only when I couldn't get my reishi and oyster to grow in that media did I realize it wasn't hardwood sawdust, and I was pleasantly surprised to see how well the shiitake was doing on the fir. It's virtually impossible to get hardwood sawdust in my area, so it's nice to see this as an option.

Offlinestrangladesh
masterOFpuppets
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right Here!
Re: Shiitake substrate [Re: phalcon005]
    #5918736 - 07/31/06 02:41 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

can shiitake be fruited in flat pans>or are bags required

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Shiitake substrate [Re: strangladesh]
    #5919551 - 07/31/06 07:03 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

For some reason, shiitake wants to fruit from a block much more so than a tray shaped substrate. I have no idea why. I've used coffee cans to colonize in, then dumped the round blocks out of the coffee cans and they did great. One thing I learned the hard way is not to use any coir in the substrate, the way I do with reishi. I had block after block that would turn nice and brown, and even blister, but the blisters would never grow out. John Holliday of Aloha medicinals pointed out my error when I told him I was using sawdust, woodchips and coir. He had found the same thing overseas where someone was using coconut shells and couldn't get fruits, even though it colonized like a bomb.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinewood chip
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Shiitake substrate [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #14533075 - 05/29/11 09:19 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Take a look at the photo of the shiitake growing in trays taken at a Dutch farm in the art and science of mushroom cultivation by Paul Przybylowicz, and John Donoghue

InvisibleAleon
The Power of Our Origins
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere Flag
Re: Shiitake substrate [Re: wood chip]
    #14535230 - 05/30/11 10:43 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I just wanted to add, i have fruited shiitake on plain coco coir, nothing else (i even forgot to add the gypsum lol!)  The mushrooms yielded well on the first flush(about 1lb per 4lb block), but after that they didnt really do anything. Also i only ran 3 bags; i was just putting this out there.  I used strain, Night Velvet.  I am going to try that again here in the next few months and ill let yall know what happens.

--------------------
Mushroom medicines available at:
www.swordandshieldwellness.com

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck