Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Bill Clinton to run U.N.?
    #3264426 - 10/22/04 11:34 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=41038

Bill Clinton to run U.N.?

'He definitely wants to do it,' say insiders
October 21, 2004 |WND

WASHINGTON ? Bill Clinton as secretary-general of the United Nations?

It has been talked about in U.N. circles and among the former president's insiders for more than two years.

And now, according to a United Press International report, Clinton "definitely wants to do it."

The term of Kofi Annan, the current U.N. secretary-general, ends in 2006, and, according to the report, Clinton's candidacy would receive overwhelming support from U.N. member states, particularly in the Third World.

"He definitely wants to do it," a Clinton insider is quoted as saying.

But Clinton faces an unusual predicament ? and potential obstacle ? in his quest: Can he get the support of the U.S. government to take on the assignment?

U.N. boosters think Clinton as secretary-general would bolster the prestige of the world body.

No American has ever been U.N. secretary-general even though the United States serves as host country and the major contributor to its budget.

"Critics of the U.N. complain that it's an organization without the muscle and will to put its decisions into effect," a U.N. source told UPI. "There's a good chance that Clinton could significantly change that situation, and then we'll see if the critics mean what they say."

This is not the first time Clinton's interest in the job has been raised.

Back in February of 2003 there were reports of a "major international move" to engineer Clinton into the post. Those reports suggested Clinton had already lined up support for his candidacy for the secretary-general position from Germany, France, England, Ireland, New Zealand, a handful of African states, Morocco and Egypt.

There were also suggestions that Annan might resign before the end of his term in 2006.

Annan took over as U.N. chief in 1997. On the record, he has said he intends to fill out his entire term.

Clinton's fund-raising prowess is viewed in some quarters as a real incentive for the U.N.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

Re: Bill Clinton to run U.N.? [Re: ekomstop]
    #3264433 - 10/22/04 11:37 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

http://washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20041020-025642-9944r.htm
Analysis: Clinton eyes U.N. post

UPI | October 21 2004

Comment: This will put an American face on the UN and allow Bush (if he is re-elected) and Clinton to double team in destroying what's left of US sovereignty.

Former U.S. President Bill Clinton has set his sights on becoming U.N. secretary-general. A Clinton insider and a senior U.N. source have told United Press International the 56-year-old former president would like to be named leader of the world body when Kofi Annan's term ends early in 2006.

"He definitely wants to do it," the Clinton insider said this week.

A Clinton candidacy is likely to receive overwhelming support from U.N. member states, particularly the Third World. Diplomats in Washington say Clinton would galvanize the United Nations and give an enormous boost to its prestige. But the former president's hopes hang on a crucial question that will not be addressed until after the presidential elections: can he get the support of the U.S. government -- a prerequisite for nomination?

The political wisdom is that a second George W. Bush presidency would cut him off at the pass. The notion of Clinton looming large in the international arena from "the glass tower" in New York would be intolerable to the Bush White House. If Democratic candidate, Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., wins on Nov. 2 the prospect of Clinton as secretary-general won't exactly be welcome either, but Kerry would find it much harder -- if not impossible -- to go against it.

After a Middle East U.N. Secretary-General (Boutros Boutros Ghali) and an African (Kofi Annan) it is generally considered Asia's turn to fill the post, U.N. experts say. No announcement has been made, but behind the scenes China is already pushing the candidacy of Thai Foreign Minister Surakiart Sathirathai, who also seems to have U.S. support. If Clinton does emerge as a candidate, however, China would most likely shift its support, the experts say.

No American has ever been U.N. secretary-general, but the United States is both host country to the United Nations and the major contributor to its budget.

However, the U.S. history with the United Nations has been rocky for decades. President Reagan took the United States out of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization in protest against alleged corruption by former top agency officials in 1984.

A hostile U.S. Congress, which held up payment to the United Nations for years, prevented an attempt by the Clinton administration to re-enter UNESCO in 1995.

In September 2002, President Bush addressed the United Nations and announced the United States would rejoin UNESCO while urging the United Nations to back a resolution authorizing an attack on Iraq.

Clinton is currently recovering from the heart bypass surgery he had to undergo last month, and this has kept him away from the Kerry campaign after a few initial support appearances. The former president has told friends and Kerry staffers he plans to resume campaigning for Kerry, but on a limited scale because his recovery has been gradual. He has talked of his interest in taking over at the United Nations since the publication of his commercially successful autobiography, which he recently said had sold 1.9 million copies. Writing the book kept him busy after leaving office in 2000, but he is now ready to channel his considerable political skills and energy into another role in public life.

There had been rumors that he would run the Third Way organization, the world Social Democratic movement he had talked of launching together with British Prime Minister Tony Blair and German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder. But the political alliance had come unstuck and the idea ran out of steam partly because Blair and Schroeder found themselves on opposite sides in the Bush-led Iraq war.

Putting Clinton in charge of the United Nations would be a real test of international intentions, observers say.

"Critics of the U.N. complain that it's an organization without the muscle and will to put its decisions into effect," the U.N. source observed. "There's a good chance that Clinton could significantly change that situation, and then we'll see if the critics mean what they say."

Offlineoggleman
Stranger
Male
Loc: Chicago
    #3264459 - 10/22/04 11:46 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Thats sweet. I like Clinton. If the U.N. likes him too then great. I'm not too worried about Bush and Clinton "double teaming to destroy what is left of US Sovreignty" considering their opposing positions in a highly partisan political climate. I would anticipate conflict between Bush and Clinton, especially since Clinton is an American, he would want the US to behave in a more diplomatic fashion than Bush appearantly does.

Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

Re: Bill Clinton to run U.N.? [Re: oggleman]
    #3264519 - 10/22/04 12:02 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

The same Bill Clinton that gave North Korea materials to produce up to 100 nukes per year? The same Bill Clinton that sold China technology necessary for Nuclear combat? The same Bill Clinton who blew up the Sudanese Pharmaceutical Plant..for what reason?

Yeah, he'd be perfect for the job.

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #3264534 - 10/22/04 12:05 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

I like Clinton.

I don't know what Bush's stats are, but more non-violent drug users were locked up under Clinton's watch than under any other President. He's not a good guy.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

OfflineOrangeVWCamper
"Tie Dye'dBandit"

Loc: Florida
Re: Bill Clinton to run U.N.? [Re: Learyfan]
    #3264644 - 10/22/04 12:34 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Interesting.

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: Bill Clinton to run U.N.? [Re: OrangeVWCamper]
    #3264766 - 10/22/04 01:01 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

he will fit in well at the U.N.

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlineoggleman
Stranger
Male
Re: Bill Clinton to run U.N.? [Re: lonestar2004]
    #3264818 - 10/22/04 01:25 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Yes that was probably my biggest beef with clinton, his rather non-pragmatic, to say the least, approach to the drug war. But lets face it, Bush has been no kinder to drug users in this country, yet nobody is saying anything about it cause they have so many other problems with Bush that that issue kind of takes a back seat.

If the drug war, something that has been institutionalized and by and large supported by the citizenry of this country for many decades, is my biggest problem with a president, then I can't really complain.

BTW this is in response to learyfan, not lonestar.

--------------------

Edited by oggleman (10/22/04 01:34 PM)

Offlineoggleman
Stranger
Male
    #3264833 - 10/22/04 01:33 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Oops forgot to reply to this one before I replied to the one below it. Look he wasn't the perfect president but the fact of the matter is you'd be hard pressed to find a president who didn't pull off some international bullshit while they were in office. Furthermore, he created 25 million jobs, a very robust economy, lowered unemployment, and reduced the deficit.

If I had known what a horrible president Bush was in 2000 I wouldn't have wasted so much time and energy campaigning, not to mention my vote, on Nader for the Green Party

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
    #3264910 - 10/22/04 01:53 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I too wish Clinton was more Liberal with the War on Drugs,

But keep in mind, a shitload of Cops were hired on Clinton's watch. Crime rates dropped. As a sad side-effect, more stoners went to jail. The cops had at least as much to do with these arrests as Bill J. Clinton. Clinton just didn't loosen the drug laws.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Re: Bill Clinton to run U.N.? [Re: Rose]
    #3265520 - 10/22/04 06:30 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I think Clinton would fit in well at the UN. He could start the "Oil for Pardons" program.
I think it would be a pretty strange position because then if Bush is re-elected all the Democrats would side with UN against the US government and there would be some kind of strange battle for sovereignty between the Democrat UN and the Republican White House. Of course then Clinton and the UN would claim much more jurisdiction over US sovereignty to act against Bush, and sadly alot of Americans would go along with it just because it's Bill Clinton.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Re: Bill Clinton to run U.N.? [Re: Rose]
    #3265529 - 10/22/04 06:32 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Cervantes said:
I too wish Clinton was more Liberal with the War on Drugs,

But keep in mind, a shitload of Cops were hired on Clinton's watch. Crime rates dropped. As a sad side-effect, more stoners went to jail. The cops had at least as much to do with these arrests as Bill J. Clinton. Clinton just didn't loosen the drug laws.

Well if you give him enough money he is fairly liberal on the war on drugs, esp. if you are related to him and a coke dealer. Kind of funny that his own brother had to bribe him for a pardon.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

Jump to top Pages: 1