Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesplifferd
Popcorn vs. Rye grain. Experence W/popcorn feedback.
    #3259629 - 10/21/04 07:38 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I ordered some more Rye grain Berrys from triplehelixspores.com last week. I get a message yesterday saying that paypal closed there account, and my product did not ship. I cannot get rye berrys around town.

So people here that have used popcorn let me know if this is worth a try. I do not want to waste my spores and time. I just had too throw away 3 casings. Two got green mold, One was too dry. I could not get my humidity right. Anyway I am frustrated and ready to get another batch going. Does popcorn work well.

--------------------
Aim for the moon, if you miss at least your amounst the star's....

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinehydroguru
Stranger
Loc: dark side of the moon
Re: Popcorn vs. Rye grain. Experence W/popcorn feedback. [Re: splifferd]
    #3259643 - 10/21/04 07:50 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

i'm a noob and i like popcorn works well for me just read the teks. gl

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

#3259690 - 10/21/04 08:10 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I had very good results with corn.
But you have to make sure that it is really sterile.

Offlinesplifferd
Re: Popcorn vs. Rye grain. Experence W/popcorn feedback. [Re: ragadinks]
    #3259708 - 10/21/04 08:20 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

More sterial than Rye grain.

--------------------
Aim for the moon, if you miss at least your amounst the star's....

Offlinehydroguru
Stranger
Loc: dark side of the moon
    #3259723 - 10/21/04 08:28 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

soke for 24hrs rinse simmer for 1hr drain all water off let drip dry or towel off fill jars pc at 15psi for 1hr let cool and noc em up works for me!

OfflineAquaman
liquid logic

Loc: SW USA
Re: Popcorn vs. Rye grain. Experence W/popcorn feedback. [Re: hydroguru]
    #3259748 - 10/21/04 08:41 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

hydroguru said:
soke for 24hrs rinse simmer for 1hr drain all water off let drip dry or towel off fill jars pc at 15psi for 1hr let cool and noc em up works for me!

That's about right...

Aquafriends have been using rye berries & millet as their substrate for a few years, but just recently decided to try popcorn. With 2 year old spores, quart jars were completely colonized in 8-9 days, just make sure you shake the jars when you see the first signs of growth, and ZOOM!

This is the tek they used:

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/25049

Invisiblenoxy
Dr
 User Gallery

Loc: its more a time, not a pl...
    #3260237 - 10/21/04 11:36 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I had a hell of a time getting the moisture content right with popcorn
but I did not give up
I found that adding verm to the popcorn helped retain the proper moisture very well
The thing with popcorn, it seems very clean (low contams)
most likely due to its very smooth texture

Offlinexistenz
Stranger

Re: Popcorn vs. Rye grain. Experence W/popcorn feedback. [Re: noxy]
    #3261640 - 10/21/04 06:20 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

i followed the tek posted up above and had full colonization in 11 days.

Offlinekbilly
earthwalker

Re: Popcorn vs. Rye grain. Experence W/popcorn feedback. [Re: xistenz]
    #3263504 - 10/22/04 02:08 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

use brown rice, boil slowly till half cooked, rinse well! mix with some moist verm if you want more water. prseeure cook etc as normal 1h or so.

OfflineSilven
Male

Loc: El Mexicano
Re: Popcorn vs. Rye grain. Experence W/popcorn feedback. [Re: Aquaman]
    #3263848 - 10/22/04 07:30 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Popcorn in my opinion would be one of the best bulk substrate spawns.  I've never tried popcorn, but next summer I will be using all popcorn for my substrate.

Also, as a tip, make yourself some liquid culture to keep in your fridge for innoc'ing, people that claim full colonization in 6-8 days will see an even shorter colonization time, which I'm sure you know since the spores are already germinated and ready to pump out some myc. :wink:

- Silven

--------------------
What do you bring to the table?

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#3264107 - 10/22/04 09:44 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Popcorn can be easly over cooked and the water content can be easly be way too much. Follow the 24 soak,simmer until grains just start to split, after simmer drain for an hour on a towel. You can't go wrong

but other than a learning curve I give popcorn a thumbs up

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: Popcorn vs. Rye grain. Experence W/popcorn feedback. [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #3264697 - 10/22/04 12:44 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Fucknuckle said:
Popcorn can be easly over cooked and the water content can be easly be way too much. Follow the 24 soak,simmer until grains just start to split, after simmer drain for an hour on a towel. You can't go wrong

This is what I did with my popcorn jars, minus the soak. I simply simmered till the kernels split slightly. Drained very well (even used a towel a couple times too), and PC'd for 1 hour. The split kernels were an indicator to me that water content was good, and colonization/germination is usually faster when they are split (IME).

The problem is when the kernels are split, contamination risk greatly increases. Make sure the popcorn is well colonized before spawning to a pasteurized substrate. When fruiting from strait popcorn alone, I only experienced one decent flush. After the first flush, it seems to fall off rapidly in yield...

I had good experiences with popcorn, so did two of my friends. But, I have since switched back to rye berries...

--------------------
To give is to live...

OfflineErik006
MushroomCultivator

Loc: Ontario
Re: Popcorn vs. Rye grain. Experence W/popcorn feedback. [Re: ATWAR]
    #3265148 - 10/22/04 04:40 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I've been growing with rye berries for a while now. In my opinion they're one of the best options available to you.

Advantages of rye vs. popcorn?

Rye berries are smaller in size, therefore you can fit more grains in the same volume of substrate. If you go on to spawn a bulk substrate like straw, you'll have more inoculation points.

From my personal experience, I found that when shaking popcorn and rye, the inoculated kernels of rye spread more evenly across the substrate, leading to a quicker(more even) colonization.
However, this can just be an experimenters error.

This is just my opinion, there are many people on these boards who prefer popcorn/cracked corn.

To find rye berries look in bulk stores and health food stores:
(golden pages: look for bulk barn, bulk country, gentle rain health food etc) the also sell popcorn at these stores (usually).

If you cannot find any berries, then just go with corn! Remember, always work with the materials that are available to you :smile:

A note on split kernels: According to Stamets, split kernels encourage growth of tomentose (cottony) mycelium, which is not desired.

Erik006 :heartpump:

--------------------
At last you know what ineffable is, and what ecstacy means

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: Popcorn vs. Rye grain. Experence W/popcorn feedback. [Re: Erik006]
    #3266031 - 10/22/04 09:12 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Hum so it might be better to not let the kernels to split. Next time we try popcorn, will try it.

Atwar...... I find the same thing with the one good flush of popcorn. The last time we used straight popcorn cased, was to add 25% verm per volume, mixed with the popcorn in the jars. It added water to the grain. I got a second very good flush. I believe the popcorn loses water very fast with the first flush.

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

OfflineErik006
MushroomCultivator

#3268421 - 10/23/04 03:53 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Here's some pictures of corn and rye grain side by side:

Corn on the left, Rye on the right :wink:
These jars were both inoculated 3 days ago from a quart master jar, substrate was also rye. The strain is Puerto Rican:

Closeup of Corn growth:

--------------------

Edited by Erik006 (10/26/04 05:45 PM)

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
    #3268912 - 10/23/04 06:07 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Erik006 said:
A note on split kernels: According to Stamets, split kernels encourage growth of tomentose (cottony) mycelium, which is not desired.

Could you point me to where this is mentioned? I could not find it in GGMM or TMC. Although, I didn't re-read them fully, just the grain prep sections...

@Fucknuckle:
Popcorn really never performed very well for me strait cased. Even when I would dunk the casing to rehydrate, the 2nd flush was generally pretty poor. I must admit I am biased againsed strait grain casings in general, what a waste of spawn...

I am a strong believer in using a high nutrient content spawn for supplementing bulk substrates. This is the sole reason why I switched back to rye grain (that, and I found popcorn was the reason animals were tearing into my compost pile, it doesn't happen with rye). But, I will say that popcorn does indeed work decently, and everyone should try it at least once...

--------------------
To give is to live...

Offlineevilchipmunk
All your nutsare belong tome.

#3269903 - 10/24/04 12:12 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Damn.. almost all the kernals split in my most recent batch, and I already knocked 'em. :{ That sucks.

--------------------
George Dubya Bush's Resume.

OfflineErik006
MushroomCultivator

#3270824 - 10/24/04 07:59 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

>Could you point me to where this is mentioned? I could not find it in GGMM or TMC. Although, I didn't re-read them fully, just the grain prep sections...

Sure!

The amount of water added to the grain is an important factor contributing to the reproduction of contaminants. Excessive water in a spawn jar facors the growth of bactieria and other competitors.In wet grain the mushroom mycelium grows denser and slower. Oversaturated grain kernels explode during  the sterilization process, and with their interiors exposed, the grain is even more susceptible to contamination. (the Mushroom Cultivator,pg 44, par. 4)

According to Stoller(1962) the growth of fluffy sectors in encouraged by broken and exploded kerenls which increase the availability of strach in the spawn media(the Mushroom Cultivator, pg 33, par 3)

Erik006  :stoned:

--------------------

OfflineDrBhang
jokkmokk

Loc: Fung Isle
    #3271017 - 10/24/04 10:21 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I am growing cubensis on both popcorn and rye and so far they seem pretty equal to me but both very fast , look growlog in sig. But popcorn will be my choice of grain in the future because its so more shakeable than rye.

OfflineErik006
MushroomCultivator

Re: Popcorn vs. Rye grain. Experence W/popcorn feedback. [Re: DrBhang]
    #3271913 - 10/24/04 03:14 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Two more (quart) jars of popcorn:

Erik006  :smirk:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate