Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewyoshroomr
Mycovore
 User Gallery

Casing mixtures
    #3242804 - 10/11/04 12:16 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I've read through the various casing teks. One mentioned using "Jiffy Mix" and stated it was basically a 50/50 mix -w- lime added. Does Jiffy Mix make a decent top layer?

If so, I imagine it is more expensive to use than mixing the separately bought items yourself. Convenience can overcome costs at times. If making the casing mixture manually, what are the best options?

1) Peat moss -- I've bought a pretty good sized cube of this from Home Depot in the past. Cheap and probably a good amount for my endeavors.

2) Vermiculite -- Got this one covered.

3) horticultural hydrated lime -- Some time ago, I had a big, heavy bag of this stuff in my garage. I'd hate to have to buy that size again. One casing tek I read stated that some have problems with this stuff and states that using calcium carbonate is possibly "safer."

What's the best to use? What's the easiest to obtain? Hydrated lime, oyster shells (crushed, powdered), or calcium carbonate? Is calcium carbonate the same as "chalk"? Some teks require more than one of these items. I'm a bit confused on what is needed and exactly what to get.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesublime40oz
Traveler
Loc: Florida
Re: Casing mixtures [Re: wyoshroomr]
    #3242848 - 10/11/04 12:28 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Have you considered, 40-60 verm to coir?

--------------------
Beyond the gray sky

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

#3243002 - 10/11/04 01:02 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Any nursery just about has Hi-Yield hydrated lime. You don't have to use oyster shell... I never could find it anywhere.

50/50+ tek is great. Try it.

InvisibleLifenergy
Yo Mama

Re: Casing mixtures [Re: Ayrios]
    #3243552 - 10/11/04 02:47 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Remove the membrane and use ground up egg shells instead of lime. That's what my friend does, and he hasn't had any problems.

--------------------
Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see.

Offlinewyoshroomr
Mycovore
 User Gallery

Re: Casing mixtures [Re: Ayrios]
    #3243569 - 10/11/04 02:50 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Sublime40oz,

I honestly don't know enough about the 40-60 tek to consider it at this point.  I was hoping to have the stuff together for this evening, for some cakes are screaming for FREEDOM!!  I stopped by Home Depot earlier and grabbed some peat moss and a bag of Jiffy Mix.  Jiffy mix does indeed consist of peat moss, vermiculite, and lime.  I'm gonna try multiple growing teks to see what I like!

Ayrios,

Excellent, I'll stop by the local nursery AGAIN -- lol, got some vermiculite there recently.  I'm definitely trying the 50/50+ tek.  Actually, I've used this mixture (minus the shells) a couple of years ago.  The bag of lime I had must have weighed 25+ pounds.  I'm hoping to find a smaller one :smile:

The last casings I witnessed were in a humid, hot state and the contams were a pain in the butt.  I'm now in a very dry area, so this should be interesting.  I've noticed that a loaf of bread lasts for ages here -- as opposed to having mold within a week.

Then again, 4 of 40 jars have been lost to contams.  However, this was using steam (not pressure) cooking and not flaming the needle.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #3243580 - 10/11/04 02:53 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

>What's the best to use?
Calcium carbonate or horticultural limestone or chalk.

> Is calcium carbonate the same as "chalk"?
Calcium carbonate is the chemical chalk is mainly composed of.

Offlineseatrip
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Casing mixtures [Re: Anno]
    #3244080 - 10/11/04 05:00 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Ive never seen peat in a cube form .it comes in bags and looks like fine potting soil its brown and black colored,schultz cactus mix works too for lazy premixed stuff.

Offlinewyoshroomr
Mycovore
 User Gallery

Re: Casing mixtures [Re: seatrip]
    #3244698 - 10/11/04 07:35 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Seatrip,

Home Depot sells cubes of peat moss outdoors with the bulk fertilizers and stuff. I pondered getting one (I've had one before when I had a big house/garage), but instead opted for the Scott's peat moss (8 oz) and a bag of Jiffy Mix. I'll tinker with these for now.

I also stopped by the local nursery and grabbed a small bag of lime. I've got some small foil pans for oven sterilizing and some tupperware for the microwave.

Now, if I could just finish this darn blunt and frosted mug of beer. Well, I did turn the oven on.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix