Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineeShroom
eShroom lovesit!

Is this Contaminated?
    #3239775 - 10/10/04 05:21 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

It's my first time trying to grow shrooms, and even though an experienced friend gave me detailed directions on how to do this all, I seem to have fucked it up. Basicaly, we did multi spore inoculation into rye and water at a concentration of 1 cup organic rye berries and 1 cup and 1-2 tablespoons of water (I misunderstood and instead of putting a little bit less than a cup of water I put a bit more). We pressure cooked the jars at 15 psi for 1 hour succesfully, let them cool, sterilized the syringe spores (came already in the syringe) with an isopropyl alcohol flame, let the needle cool before innoculating 1cc into each jar (it was a heavily spore-saturated syring), and put them in a sterilized tupperware with an aquarium heater keeping the temp at about 80-85 degrees F. It's been just over a week, and so far it's looking pretty upsetting. We've only got this gooey white stuff on the bottom of the jars (which is now all over b/c my friend told I should shake the jars on day 5 or so). Almost all of the jars aren't really that active...except for one jar that seems to be REALLY saturated in this substance. I was hoping you could help me decide if it's contaimanted, or if it's overly hydrated and the water is simply impeding the growth process. I've got pics - they're posted in my gallery under the folder "Is This Contaminated pics." Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRetardedChemist
journeyman
Re: Is this Contaminated? [Re: eShroom]
    #3240077 - 10/10/04 07:13 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

In my opinion I am guessing that it could be wet spot?

OfflineNNY
Z?

Loc: USA
Re: Is this Contaminated? [Re: RetardedChemist]
    #3240214 - 10/10/04 07:44 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

sounds like it could be rot. but if its really that bad you should be able to smell it. wet rot has an unmistakeable smell, when a couple of my jars got it i couldnt get the smell out of my nose all day.

OfflineRambone
The 48thAmerican
 User Gallery

#3240250 - 10/10/04 07:51 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

to my knowledge, only YOU can browse your own gallery.

OfflineeShroom
eShroom lovesit!

Re: Is this Contaminated? [Re: Rambone]
    #3240701 - 10/10/04 09:45 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Sorry i forgot to attach the pictures. Here are the pictures!

Edited by eShroom (10/10/04 09:51 PM)

OfflineMoneyAddyct
Picaro
    #3240809 - 10/10/04 10:16 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I almost just threw up.

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#3240923 - 10/10/04 10:37 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

That's pretty bad. Be careful disposing of it.

OfflineeShroom
eShroom lovesit!

Re: Is this Contaminated? [Re: Suntzu]
    #3240997 - 10/10/04 10:54 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

What could I have done wrong? Does it look obvious that something is f*cked up? (like too much water, bacteria, etc).

thanks!

Offlineaussieone
shroominator
 User Gallery

Loc: QLD, Australia
    #3242052 - 10/11/04 05:53 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

from those pics it looks like you have way to much water!

--------------------

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#3244462 - 10/11/04 06:37 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

It's hard to tell if there was too much water at the beginning because the bacteria makes things look wetter [ala 'Wet Spot'].
Because you have mold and bacteria, there's likely a fundamental problem in the sterilization of the grain. Usually when too much water is added, the grain does not shake well after being PC'd. You see gunk adhering to the sides of the glass, the grain just doesn't look right.
Increasing PC time might help. More thorough rinsing of the grain might help. Switching to another type of grain might make the difference for you. Make sure the jar lids and filter system are full-proof. Leave a negative control jar [uninoculated] with each new type of grain [this can help determine if it's just the spore syringe/inoculation step/cooling step that is to blame]. Make one batch of jars where you vary the amount of water from jar to jar. . .label the jars and keep track of which recipe gives you a good balance of shakeability and moisture content.
I know of a few people who continually had problems with rye, but succeeded first time with birdseed. And vice versa.
Good luck;

OfflineMycoGlowFlow
between the walls
Male

Loc: michigan
Re: Is this Contaminated? [Re: Suntzu]
    #3245612 - 10/11/04 10:45 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

suntzu is completely right,

the jars have way too much water in them, after discussing this issue with a fellow cultivator, he suggests cutting down water to about 2/3 to 1/2 for every one cup rye, also the rye grains must be rinsed in order to get the oily residue off the shell.

just lower the water level and u should be fine

good luck a b

--------------------
(the key-strokes that have completed everything ever typed on this user name have been a random coincidence, except for the words in this notation)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order