Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinechauvotsm
Stranger
Some newbie questions.
    #3236198 - 10/09/04 11:14 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Hey there guys. Next week I will be trying my hand at growing some mushrooms for the first time. I'm giving Brazilians a shot b/c they seem to be advertised as being really good for beginners.
My questions are:
1) Is there anywhere that has a basic guide to temp, conditions, ect that each species does best in? I've read the PF teks stuff and it is all general info. Is it all about the same for the different species?
2) My set up is a clear plastic basin with a 3 inch layer of water and a 2800cc fish tank air pump connected to two 14 in long airstones. I let the setup run overnight with the pump INSIDE the container and had a constant temp of about 78deg and the air seemed pretty moist when I lifted the top. Any thoughts on this setup? I don't have a barometer or anything. For those who have tried this setup, has the humidity been about right?
3) With the Brazilians and this setup, about how many days till I should be able to pick the first batch?
4) I have seen where some of the advanced growers have used rye grain. While I was getting the rice flower I picked up some organic rye flower. I was thinking of experimenting with this rather than the rice flower for one or two cakes. Any thought? Anyone tried this yet?
5) Any other advice?

Thanks ahead of time.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinekrazycure
Coastal TripTech

Loc: The edge of reason
Re: Some newbie questions. [Re: chauvotsm]
    #3236217 - 10/09/04 11:23 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

1. Yep, all cubies are basically the same, but they do have little quirks and things that you can exploit to make certain ones grow better. You best bet is to search around here for the specific strain you are itrested in, and see how others go about it.

2. I have no idea why you are running your pump inside your terranium. Not to mention wasting space, I would think the electronics might not like that extreme humidity after a long period of time. Not to mention you really need more than just standing water in the bottom, I.e., perlite (worst), lava-rock (better), or geolite (best).

3. Generally, after colonizing completely, pins forms after a week in the terranium, and shrooms ready to pick will be ready about a week or 2 after that. Pick when veil just starts to tear...

4. General consensus is that Rye is better than BRF, but, plenty of newbs still use BRF... I, personally, won't be anymore. In my experience, BRF is just too slow to colonize. It works though..

5. Read read read...

Offlinechauvotsm
Stranger
Re: Some newbie questions. [Re: krazycure]
    #3236253 - 10/09/04 11:45 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Ok, I did some searching and didn't find anything specifically on Brazilians. I'm leaving the pump inside the tank to increase the humidity a few more points. The thing was only 9 bucks, so if it cops out it's not that big a deal. Plus it keeps the temp right where it needs to be, right? I'm going to add lava rocks to the bottom of the tank also I guess. I take it that this will make a big difference?
Also, I can across a post about dunking the cakes in coffee. I think I'm going to experiment w/ half the cakes using brown rice flour and half with rye flower. Additionally, I am going to use very dilluted coffee in one of each of the cakes during the initial colinization stage. Any thought?

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: Some newbie questions. [Re: chauvotsm]
    #3236270 - 10/09/04 11:52 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

1) 84F for incubation and 75 for fruiting.
2)barometer reads pressure, not humidity. For humidity, it's called hygrometer. You shouldn't run the pump inside the tank for 2 reasons. First, pump will go bad in near future. Second, you want to have fresh air from outside being pumped in unless you are going to fan often, which will lower humidity a lot. There are a lot of other ways to raise the humidity including fanning.
But my advice would be invest in building a PMP(poor man's pod by Magash). You can still keep the heater in there for winter time.

3)Time to harvest will be heavily dependent on your colonization/inoculation/growth condition. Colonization is the longest part of the growth and will take anywhere between 1-4 weeks. If you keep them nice and warm at 85F(try tub in tub with aquarium heater heating water outside first tub), you are likely to get done in about 2 weeks. Then another 2 weeks at good growth conditions after birth to harvest.
With your current set up the way you have it, you might run into humidity problem and have a whole bunch of aborts to eat in about a month.

4) You are going to get pretty bored after a couple of weeks. Make BRF cakes now and get the feel for it, then when you get bored, knock up some jars with other substrates or any other experiments you'd like to try.

5) Sure, a few, but I've already written them... let me link you.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3230752/an/0/page/2#3230752

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Edited by Sam1912 (10/09/04 12:01 PM)

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: Some newbie questions. [Re: Sam1912]
    #3236276 - 10/09/04 11:54 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

adding rocks to bottom won't do anything. you need to add a nice thick layer of rocks and waterline about 1"-1.5" below top of the rocks.

I'll see if I can find you the original thread..

Here you go. The setup you have minus the pump, plus a large tupperware, temp set to 84F will make a perfect tub in tub incubater. It'll cut weeks off your colonization period. Good luck
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1303334/an/0/page/34#1303334

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Edited by Sam1912 (10/09/04 12:05 PM)

Offlineymhrswrider
Butthead

Re: Some newbie questions. [Re: Sam1912]
    #3236607 - 10/09/04 02:20 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Sam1912, I checked out your link. I think this is the way I'm gonna go. I'm going to have to get a heater though. One thing:
I'm unfamiliar with geolite. Will small lava rock work as well. It might be kind of hard for me to find geolite around here. I had to order the vermiculite b/c it was a seasonal thing around here. I figure the geolite might be the same thing.

--------------------
Flashbacks are God's way of saying, "This one's on me".

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Some newbie questions. [Re: ymhrswrider]
    #3236633 - 10/09/04 02:33 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Small lava rocks will do just fine.

--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate