Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMing
Stranger
ID request please
    #3235770 - 10/09/04 04:47 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Hi. These pair were picked on a wet English morning, around 7.30am in long grass. This I'm pretty sure is a liberty cap but what about this one?It isn't some liberty cap in a more mature stage of its life cycle is it. I thought all liberty caps stayed with the edge of the cap turned down

[image]http://www.shroomery.org/forums/files/04-41/731801149-thumb_nore_side.jpg[/image]
Sorry about the rubbish quality pics. The mystery mushroom is dark under the cap, with the surface being textured in a series of fine lines running from the centre down to the edge of the cap. A little like bark but neater.Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMr_Buttercup
Cheese it
 User Gallery

Loc: Big Rock Candy Mountain
Re: ID request please [Re: Ming]
    #3235848 - 10/09/04 06:42 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Ming,

Though the first one looks a bit like a liberty cap, it's a bit too reddish for my liking (might be hue of photo).

The others flare way too much.

There's a lot of little reddish mushrooms around my area, they look a bit like libs when they are young, but flare right out and become flattish and way too big as they get older.

Libs might be darkish brown when wet, but don't have a red tinge. Also, the bottom of the cap tucks in and becomes almost black at its bottom in the older ones. They should also have a nipple at the top.

Just my opinion, I'm a bit rusty as I haven't been picking for the last 15 years or so, just started again recently. Wait for more informed replies.

If I'm in doubt about a lib, I take it home & let it dry out, it should become a classic light tan colour (like very milky tea?).

Cheers

Nick

Edit: Picture showing a wet & dry lib (both picked and tripped upon):

Edited by Mr_Buttercup (10/10/04 10:48 AM)

OfflineMing
Stranger
Re: ID request please [Re: Mr_Buttercup]
    #3236161 - 10/09/04 10:55 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Cheers mate...
In all honesty I was sort of deluding myself with the dark brown ones, more curiosity than anything. The sad thing is I was getting into the varieties as much as anything.
Just to be clear; caps (the strange sort :smile:) ALLWAYS retain the shape in those photos, grey to dark brown, with dark gills, getting darker towards the edges. Sorry, I'm sure its on the net already somewhere but there is so much info its hard to nail it dowm.

(p.s. they can ever be an orange can they; as I found an exact same shape, yet orange?, a good idiots link might be useful if you got one handy :-) if not its cool, thanks anyway

OfflineMr_Buttercup
Cheese it
 User Gallery

Loc: Big Rock Candy Mountain
Re: ID request please [Re: Ming]
    #3236213 - 10/09/04 11:21 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yes, the caps will always be that shape throughout their lifespan (although the caps will never really get much bigger than the width of a finger).

The gills start off a light brown, but it's best really to just pick the mature ones, the small ones will be much more effective if left for a few days to grow up. They also get a chance to spread some spores too :wink:

I don't know of a guide, but have a look through the pictures in this thread. Don't take much notice of pictures of mushrooms already picked, they've usually been crushed in someones pocket, so the shape gets a bit distored.

As I said though, I'm a bit green, so hopefully some uber-shroomer will give you some advice :smile:

Cheers

Nick

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract