Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offline*HeGz*
old hand
Call me stupid but...
    #323497 - 05/22/01 03:59 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

What exactly is OVERLAY? I have heard several different explanations, could someone give me an easy definition? Thanks!

HeGz

Please could you stop the noise I'm trying to get some rest
From all the unborn chicken voices in my head
What's there, what's there

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Call me stupid but... [Re: *HeGz*]
    #323521 - 05/22/01 04:21 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

from http://www.shroomery.org/findorgrowthem/apprenticecasing.html

Overlay is the condition which results when mycelium has been allowed to completely cover the casing surface. It is caused by prolonged vegetative growth temperatures, high CO2 levels, and excessive humidity. If overwatered, the overlay will become matted, or, will form a dense, dead layer of cells on the casing surface.

A casing showing signs of overlay will begin to shrink and pull away from the sides of the container. It will also become unreceptive to water, and puddles may form on the surface after misting. If any pinheads form, they will likely do so at the edges of the casing. Most of the pinheads will abort, and only a few mushrooms will fully mature. Once this has happened, the casing layer really isn't a casing layer anymore. It is no longer serving it's three main functions, and has in essence become a second layer of non-nutritious substrate.

As previously mentioned, overlay is caused by prolonged vegetative growth temperatures, high CO2 levels, and excessive humidity. It results when the grower does not take the proper steps to initiate pinning, or, when the grower initiates the pinning strategy too late. As a general rule of thumb, the initiation process should begin as soon as mycelium is first visible in the valleys of the casing layer (or, when you can just barley make it out underneath the surface of the casing). However, Psilocybe Cubensis is a species which enjoys high mycelial momentum. Even after initiation of the pinning process, the mycelium will continue to grow for a period of time and consume more of the casing. This is why timing is critical.

---------------------------------------
kickme.to/mushrooms

InvisibleLallafa
p_g monocle
 User Gallery

Loc: underbelly
Re: Call me stupid but... [Re: Anno]
    #323703 - 05/22/01 07:49 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

z

--------------------
my tax dollars going to more hits of acid for charles manson

Edited by Lallafa (02/25/10 08:49 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract