Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepegasus
Woods Walker
Loc: Wisconsin
Please confirm my ID of these edibles
    #3233720 - 10/08/04 03:44 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Found this week in park near Milwaukee. The first 2 pictures I believe are elm oysters. They were growing out of the scar from a cut off branch. The spore print is white with a pinkish color. The flesh is firm, cap cream to beige, stem off center. Gills are attached but not descending the stem.

The next picture I believe is a sweettooth. Found growing under pines and mixed hardwoods. It is a firm cap, with irregular shape, obvious teeth instead of gills. The mushroom is about 5" across.

Thanks for the help!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: Please confirm my ID of these edibles [Re: pegasus]
    #3233983 - 10/08/04 05:07 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Hi pegasus,

The first one looks right to me, Hypsizygus ulmarius. I've never eaten them but hear they are tough, cook thuroughly.

The second one also appears right, Hydnum umbilicatum or Hydnum repandum, both species are good edibles, however the specimens in your photos look a little past their prime. "Sweettooths" or as we call them in Ohio "Hedgehogs" have solid thick flesh and a mild flavor, however they are best harvested while the margin is still inrolled and the teeth are short. They usually come up in great abundance but blend in with fallen leaves. There are probably more and better ones near where you found those.

:thumbup:Nice finds; enjoy.

Offlinepegasus
Woods Walker
Loc: Wisconsin
Re: Please confirm my ID of these edibles [Re: shroomydan]
    #3235020 - 10/08/04 10:55 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks, for the ID confirmation. I'm still learning, so finding out that I identified them correctly is great. I use the older, or tough mushrooms to make mushroom stock! It is a great way to put almost edible mushrooms to good use.

Thanks again!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract