Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Loc: Lysergia
Dormancy options
    #3232379 - 10/08/04 09:21 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Ok, the first autumn rains are to start today in my city, the sky has been cloudier, temps colder, and San Pedro is growing slower.

As this is the first time i'll have to deal with dormancy i'm not sure about what to do.

I never seen a frost in my city in 21 years, let alone snow. Outside temps rarely go below 40?F. Winters are VERY rainy though.

He's in a balcony where rainwater won't fall in directly, but as long as the wind is in the right direction he'll be pretty much soaking wet.

So i guess i need to do something about it, don't i?

The options i thought about are:

1) Putting a big garbage bag over the cactus and its pot so no rainwater comes in. Possibly with a 'window' made out of transparent plastic so that some minimal light gets in. I guess a few respiration holes may be necessary too.

2) Bringing him inside.

I'd prefer bringing him inside, but my main concern about that option is etiolation, since he'll get some indirect sunlight and temps around 60-75?F. I don't want it to get all ugly and irregular...Is this concern substanciated?

So what would you cacti people do?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineF0SS1L
Prehistoric Cyborg

Loc: 216
Re: Dormancy options [Re: esin]
    #3232480 - 10/08/04 09:52 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I bring my pedro (as well as all my other cacti) in during the winter and its fine. I actually took them in about 3 days ago. Just make sure if you have any pets that they dont mess with your plants. And keep them them dry.

--------------------
That's me on the street with a violin under my chin. Playing with a grin, singing gibberish.

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Re: Dormancy options [Re: F0SS1L]
    #3232762 - 10/08/04 11:15 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I'm going to try leaving one of my pedro outside over the winter. I'm going to plant it in the ground this weekend. I've read they can handle temps down to 15?F, and it rarely gets below that where I live. I remember one year we hit 7?F but we'll see how it goes.

OfflineFunguy
Homo SapiensEntheogenous
Male User Gallery

Loc: Muffy
Re: Dormancy options [Re: Gumby]
    #3232890 - 10/08/04 11:48 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Make sure it doesn't get wet. It isn't really the cold that bothers them as much as the wetness when cold. Keep it dry and it should be fine.

--------------------

OTD UNDERDOGS

Is attention your retarded heroin?

Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Loc: Samsara
    #3233165 - 10/08/04 01:07 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Do you water your's at all during the winter? I live between zone 7 and 8 if that makes any difference.

--------------------
Our quest for discovery fuels our creativity in all fields, not just science. If we reached the end of the line, the human spirit would shrivel and die. But I don't think we will ever stand still: we shall increase in complexity, if not in depth, and shall always be the center on an expanding horizon of possibilities.
-Stephen Hawking

Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Re: Dormancy options [Re: mr_minds_eye]
    #3233850 - 10/08/04 04:19 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

The info i have is water only if the cactus is asking for water, i.e. if it starts to wilt, or get soft from dehydration.

But as i said, it will be first time i have to deal with wintering so you'll prolly get better replies from someone more experienced.

Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

#3233857 - 10/08/04 04:20 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Okay, inside it comes.

Thanks for the help folks!  :smile:

Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Loc: Samsara
    #3244819 - 10/11/04 08:03 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

bump

--------------------
Our quest for discovery fuels our creativity in all fields, not just science. If we reached the end of the line, the human spirit would shrivel and die. But I don't think we will ever stand still: we shall increase in complexity, if not in depth, and shall always be the center on an expanding horizon of possibilities.
-Stephen Hawking

OfflineMaverik
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: West
    #3246876 - 10/12/04 11:01 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Hey esin, if its possible just leave 'em outside. Where I'm at we get into the low 20s a few times during winter and we get a decent amount of rain on occasion. (northern CA.)  I leave them out in the open and they do fine. As long your soil is well draining and the pH is good they'll be fine. If its going to rain for more than 2 days I will put a tarp or something around them or over them to keep the soil from staying water logged. They live outdoors naturally, as long as the soil doesn't stay soggy for several days they'll be fine. I did this last winter with 40 or so Pedros and had no problems. They've been naturalized in areas like the SF bay area where many of them are just planted in the ground and you get several days of rain. To me thats easier than trying to move them inside where they will be warm enough to continue growing but probably won't get enough light, giving you etiolated cacti. Hope that helps. :smile:

--------------------
~ Dead to the Core ~

Edited by Maverik (10/12/04 11:02 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag