Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Advice for fellow newbies
    #3230752 - 10/07/04 09:33 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Hey, Newbies! I'm a newbie, too. But I think I have some advice for you guys. If you think I'm out of line, please say so.

1. Learn first, experiment later - Most important step is to build a solid foundation of knowledge and experience. With a solid knowledge and experiences, success rate will be consistently high. This mean, you need to do the basic things at least once to see how much control YOU have.
- Read the Teks. Print them out and leave them in your bathroom if you have to. But read and understand each steps to get a firm grasp of understanding of why each step is there.
- Read the board. I know it's hard just to jump in and search. If you post a message saying "hey, I'm new", there will be plenty of replies with recommendations within first 3 minutes. You can expand on this by searching for thoses modifications
- Slow down! Being in a hurry will make you more prone to mistakes and thus contamination. It's faster to do things right the first time than to have to start all over again and knowledge that resulted in a failure.
- Don't worry about the yield. I know you will be like me and can't wait to be self supportive of our.. ahem... psychedelic needs. If you focus on things on hand, you'll be get plenty enough from your first grow.

2. Have a plan. Having a plan doesn't mean you need to schedule everything like on a timer. It means, keeping goals on a flexible time line. Instead of saying, "I want to have my mushies in 31 days," try something like, I'll start up and test my terrarium once my jars are at 50%. I hope you get my drift. Plan ahead and test your stuff out. Cook the jars up and watch them for awhile before putting any spores in there. That'd be planning effectively.
- Cook the jars early and watch for contamination. This will save you some agony and also give you something to do while waiting for the spores.
- Test the terrarium at least a week before you birth the cakes and treat it like it's full of cakes. This will give you time to correct any problems and it'll also get you in the proper routine of taking care of the terrarium.
- Start more jars at intervals. Label your jars and make more as old jars are colonized. Making 30 jars and grinding enough Brown Rice for that was more like a chore than hobby for me. If you do 12 jars now, then 12 jars in 2 weeks and another 12 jars in 2 weeks, your desire to diverge from the Tek for larger yield will diminish a bit. It will also save you from having 30 jars yelling for fruiting chamber and your learning halted because you can't knock up more jars because of terrarium space. Let me tell you, checking 30 jars for contamination is getting old really fast. You can also test new tweaked system of inoculation each time you knock up jars.

If you keep to the basics and get the understanding, you'll have far more success than those trying to grow biggest and baddest mushrooms right off the bat. Chances are, you'll probably do as well as the more experienced growers if you plan and stick to it.

And I do really put the blame squarely on Hypae, scatmanrav and Magash for taunting the rest of the growing world with those... can't even find the word for it... those.. those DAMN JUICY MUSHROOM FIELD pictures!!!(I'm still very appreciative of you guys). Just take baby steps. If you take my advice, the 2 month trek will lead you to gratifying and extremely educational experiences.

Good Luck, everyone!

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Edited by Sam1912 (10/07/04 09:34 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinephantasm
DXM GURU
Re: Advice for fellow newbies [Re: Sam1912]
    #3230771 - 10/07/04 09:35 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

thank you i agree

--------------------
Only God Grows Amanita Muscaria

Offlinelois_must_die420
Stranger
Re: Advice for fellow newbies [Re: phantasm]
    #3230934 - 10/07/04 10:04 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

This guy reminds me of I way too much of me. Its kinda hard to believe this isn't common since but people still try and jump right in w/o a fraction of knowledge needed. I'm a noob myself but you gotta have a certain mentality to do this. I hate to say it but some people just cant comprehend all those big words. So yeah, cram cram cram as much info as possible. Its not weird to spend a few days reading off the computer, especially for the results!!! Good luck to all my noobie friends.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3231025 - 10/07/04 10:20 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Very nice write up and it should be pinned IMHO! Thats how I learned I learn my sterile culture technique doing many hours of "dry runs" and I'll tell ya I did find a few problems as far as the placement of things, Also doing the one handed removal of the lids and pouring in g2g as fast as possible. Again Sam :thumbup:

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
    #3231197 - 10/07/04 10:45 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

5 shrooms for you ...nice write up :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

OfflineWhippersnapper
noobie
Re: Advice for fellow newbies [Re: OldSpice]
    #3231286 - 10/07/04 11:01 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

hmmm never thought of that....was just going to do casings. we'll see.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Advice for fellow newbies [Re: Whippersnapper]
    #3232663 - 10/08/04 10:40 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Sounds good! Believe it or not I'm still a newbie myself :smile: Started my first knock up only 3 months ago. I just had spent like 800 bucks on supplies prior to that 3 months and planned it for a year setting up everything. I was going to start over a year ago with a kit from The Keeper for like 600 bucks..it was pretty basic kit worth like 150 bucks but it had so much stuff and I had no clue about all this stuff. I got talked out of it though and started researching and reading and buying materials and planning.

Because I planned it out for a year (mostly the last 6 months of it once I found this place), as soon as I moved into my own place (well with a room mate but a business partner as well) I got started and started off with 3 PCing runs of rye, 27 quarts and cased them all.

Don't think that everyone can do this, I do agree with Sam that you need to start where your comfortable at and don't try to grow the biggest best shrooms right away unless your comfortable with all the information. I researched and read for hundreds of hours before starting and I've worked hard the last 3 months to get to where I am as a cultivator but if you do it right, and really read and follow everything and don't take shortcuts and plan it well its quite possible to get where you want to be also. I'm not where I want to be by a long shot but I'm on my way and places and people like this (espeically Magash and Hyphae, theyve been my role models :smile:) have helped me to get where I have.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: Advice for fellow newbies [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3233352 - 10/08/04 01:57 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

You guys still taunt us with those...  arg...  but I personally enjoy drooling over them.  :smile:

I somehow think the newbies aren't really reading this, though... just experienced.  Maybe too long? Maybe waste of time.  Hell!  whatever little I can contribute still matters, right?

anyways...  Thanx for all the follow ups.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3233673 - 10/08/04 03:34 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

The thing with all the posts saying to search and research and such before asking or growing is those people who actually bother to go and read it are the people who already know they have to read and search to learn and find what they need. Chances are whoever will bother to read a post where the title doesnt directly affect them (though this does, they don't think so), will already be seaking knowledge knowing they need to learn and plan. The people who really need it are the people who wouldn't bother reading it.

However I'm sure it will do some good for at least a few people. I'd like to hope people aren't so ignorant..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags