Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblemuse_sick
ĤŌĿŶĞЋ0$Ŧ

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Giu La Testa
Acidic Stomach? No Tums
    #3215352 - 10/04/04 06:53 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

besides tums
what can i use to relieve heart burn
i'm looking more for herbal remedies, etc
than other brands of medicine

--------------------
:beakedwhale:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
Re: Acidic Stomach? No Tums [Re: muse_sick]
    #3215452 - 10/04/04 07:13 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

baking soda...?

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #3215673 - 10/04/04 08:01 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Have you checked to see if you have acid reflux? It can be a serious condition that can lead to terrible complications if not treated.

That being said, check out this link...

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Invisiblemuse_sick
ĤŌĿŶĞЋ0$Ŧ

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Giu La Testa
Re: Acidic Stomach? No Tums [Re: Evolving]
    #3215774 - 10/04/04 08:33 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

i think i have been checked, my doctor drew some blood one time when i was complaining about persistent heart burn, and said something about a fairly common condition, although he didn't name acid reflux specifically, i assumed he was speaking about either that or an ulcer...
thanks for the feedback guys, ima go check out that link right now

--------------------
:beakedwhale:

InvisibleA3eyedfish
mycophile
 User Gallery

Loc: Wut some people Call Par...
    #3240433 - 10/10/04 08:26 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Few table spoons of bakeing soda in big glass of water, lil bit of something sweet to flavor it, drink & do the twist.

--------------------

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: Acidic Stomach? No Tums [Re: A3eyedfish]
    #3240471 - 10/10/04 08:39 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yes, baking soda will do the trick if you don't have any Tums or the like, although it's not recommended that you make a habit of it - using it too much will eventually make things worse.
As far as ulcers go, you'll know if you have one. It feels like a red hot needle piercing your gut. :argh:

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#3240612 - 10/10/04 09:14 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

One quick warning about baking soda
If your belly is very full of acid
And you put a extra heavy dose of soda into your gut
It can lead to violent vomiting or worse

Make sure you never take more that the recomend amount on the soda box.

One night I was half asleep and decided to take 2 big spoons full of soda and water. About 1 min after I threw up lots of nasty foam and almost drowned in it.

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

OfflineRedo
CTA

#3241750 - 10/11/04 02:09 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

oddly enough, some people have had luck with a teaspoon or tablespoon of vingegar. If it helps you could have too little acid.

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
    #3241885 - 10/11/04 03:03 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

(A3eyedfish, your uninformed medical advice could cause someone with a weakened esophagus and a weakened muscle that controls flow of liquid between stomach and esophagus, to throw up violently, possibly leading to suffication.)

Your doctor took a blood test to check for a bacteria that is common in people with ulcers. A negative test does not rule out an ulcer, and there is no blood test for acid reflux or GERD. Your doctor should be explaining things like that to you. If you are at the point where your doc is taking blood tests, folk remedies won't cut it.

If you take baking soda (which works great, better then tums), take 1/2 teaspoon in a cup of water. Drink as much as you want but never go above 1/2 teaspoon per cup. Trust me, please. Lots of acid + lots of base = lots of heat. Lots of bicarbonate + lots of H+ = lots of gas. Together, = throw up. Besides a bicarbonate solution is a buffer, and adding more baking soda will not increase the effectiveness, but drinking more of the same concentration will.

I used to have chronic heartburn. I mean, 7 days a week 24 hours a day, heartburn. Wake up with it, go to bed with it. I was taking 40 mg of prilosec/day for years, going through boxes of baking soda, and bottles of tums. I did all the stuff they told me, diet changes, bricks under the head of your bead, weight lose, and it kept getting worse. I went down the surgery route. Let me tell you my story about getting surgury for chronic heartburn.

First, the doctor will need to do some bloodwork. Then, they will need to do a test where they shove a camera down your throat to get a picture of your stomach. (You get a muscle relaxer before this surgury test yay!). Then, the doctor will need to do another test where they shove a thin cord into your stomach from your nose, and take pressure readings and different levels. This is very uncomfortable (especially if the nurse drops the monitor and the cord was almost down your throat to your stomach yanks out really fast, like happened to me.) If the tests confirm the problem, you then get to have surgury. In my case, the surgery went well, except they used a belt to hold me to the op table and the belt crushed a nerve that runs down my leg, leaving me with a periphial Neuropathy (nerve damage that causes pain that is non-responsive to opiate therapy and non-operable). Post-op, they told me to ring for morphine as soon as I felt pain because if I got in bad pain, it would take a lot of morphine to get it under control. So I felt pain, rang, it took them 2 hours to get it for me. This is right after surgury on the mucsle that controls your lungs (Diaphram), so I couldn't yell, because even breathing shallowly caused bad pain. Then I required a huge amount of morphine to regain control of the pain. Next, they fucked up again that very same day, and took 90 minutes to get my morphine. Then I got a morphine IV that would get a herion junkie off, and started hallucinating and having an OBE from the morphine. Well, set and setting are important to having a good trip, my trip was a nightmare. Not one of those bad trips where you realize something important about yourself or have a near death experience or whatever. Just a nightmare. I sort of had a psychotic break from all the morphine, including ideas of reference, seeing faces is everything, and some voices for weeks. I had to stay an extra night in the hospital crazy ward. Then, I had to start taking neurontin for the pain. Well, the neurontin caused chronic insomnia, so I came close to having another break after not sleeping for four days straight. Diphenhydramine worked to get me sleep, but I switched from neurontin to amitryptaline, and that works for the nerve pain, but has bad side effects. Ironically, the reason I had the surgury was so I didn't have to take pills every day. Ohh, and 6 months after the surgury, my heartburn is just as bad is it was the day before I went in. All in all, I have 5 scars from surgury, lingering mental effects from the psychotic break from the morphine (mostly limited to seeing faces in things), heartburn just as bad as before surgury, a chronic nerve condition that is getting worse not better, a medication that prevents me from enjoying my favorite ethnogen, and a cool water bottle I got from the hospital.

So, I don't recommend the surgury, but your milage may vary. If you do have heartburn that requires medicine every day, eventually, your stomach acid will dissolve your esophagus, leading to problems like throat cancer, stomach cancer, problems swallowing, and other fun stuff. As your stomach acid dissolves your esophagus, your esophagus gets weaker to further acid, leading to progressively worsening heartburn. Barretts Esophagus or something similar to that.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder