Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
White mushroom with a light hint of tan in the center.
    #3201686 - 09/30/04 08:59 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I was searching through the woods in Vermont, where "Psilocybe azurescens Stamets & Gartz" has been numerously plucked, and stumbled upon a white mushroom.

These mushrooms were young with a light tint of yellow/tan in the center. They almost looked like button mushrooms, veil was fuzzy and almost closed, just barely opening to expose the gills. The strange thing about these mushrooms was the fact that the entire stem (Semi-hollow) was solid blue/purple inside, but pure white outside. The stalk had a grainy wood look to it, not smooth like a button or deathcap. The base was bulbus (2X the stalk width) and the stalk was only slightly tapered. The "Blue/Purple" was strongly aparent near the cap. When plucked, the mycelium had a blue tint, and the whole mushroom started to turn purple.

My question is this... was this a young "Psilocybe azurescens Stamets & Gartz"? I can't find any pictures of them when they are young. Most pictures are from foreign countries. The ones that grow here were "Introduced", how??? Cultivation, or accidentally from exporting foreign animals???

The taste of the stem is "watery mildew/mushroom", sorta bland, and has no after-taste. (I tasted a stem, I havn't had the guts to swallow a whole shroom.) If it matters, there are hundreds of "Red Efts" running around where I found these. The soil is bark and leaf, from Pines, Firs, and mostly Birch, Maple, Alder trees in the area.

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Re: White mushroom with a light hint of tan in the center. [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3201790 - 09/30/04 09:21 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Extended info... POST got clipped...

There are also tons of "Psilocybe azurescens" looking mushrooms, Brown/Tan in the center, and Lighter-White on the edge of the caps. They have that Double-Crested top, with the outside edge getting darker first. But, they don't seem to bruise blue... Could be a similar look-alike.

The land in that area has tons of fresh water springs, not streams, just narrow "Step-Over" brooks. The soils are also naturally lime rich, and the land contour is full of mini-hills and troughs. Ferns, mosses, and rotten trees cover the area also. This is right on the edge of the season for these types of mushrooms to grow. There are also a lot of neon yellow mushrooms and russels, and puff-balls.

I am awaiting spore-prints from the caps, and then I will disect them to get more info.

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU

OfflineSweetLeaf
"33"
 User Gallery

Loc: wa
    #3202047 - 09/30/04 10:40 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

From my knowledge psilocybe Azurescens have never been reported growing wildly in Vermont, and certainly not in a forest. The habitat is sand on coniferous debris, mainly in the sand dunes on the coast of Oregon near the Columbia river delta, although they can grow in mulched beds as well.

Sorry, but I doubt you have azures, if so, then they were introduced (Meaning someone did a tech and grew them there) and will disappear in several years.

Since your describing that they are whiter toward the edges it may be a possibility of careulipes, but it may be a bit late.

Edited by SweetLeaf (09/30/04 10:41 PM)

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #3202172 - 09/30/04 11:19 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Azures don't grow on the east cost unless it was a cultivated bed. Period. There has been all kinds of misinformation about this spreading around as of late, and I dunno where it's coming from but it's pissing me off.

Azurescens ONLY GROW IN THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST.

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Re: White mushroom with a light hint of tan in the center. [Re: SweetLeaf]
    #3202189 - 09/30/04 11:27 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

This is what led me to vermont...
http://www.mushroomjohn.com/species21.htm

This is what solidified my journey...
http://www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/references/other/1997_allen_resproject_1.shtml

More fuel for my fire...
http://www.mushroomjohn.com/metznerbookarticle2.htm

This is what the others look like, but don't stain blue...
http://www.wf.net/~aardvark/ee/essays/potency.htm

The final drawing straw for my hunt...
http://archives.thenook.org/2632.html

NOTE: I just reglanced at the mushroom caps...
They now have a yellowish color on top, are distinctively bell shaped, and have a solid white outter edge on the cap, the gills are blueish purple. I don't think they are going to drop spores...

Edited by LaughingJim (09/30/04 11:34 PM)

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

#3202296 - 09/30/04 11:59 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I will be going back there after the weekend, I work 12 hour shifts on the weekend, to get more samples. This time I will photograph them all in thier natural habitat, and I will get some macro shots of plucked ones... I hope I can find those white ones again!

The wierd thing, might attribute to the oddity here, is that there are no sandy dunes in the wooded vermont area... However, thanks to glaciers, the soils/water is rich in sulfers and limes... I think that is the only reason they sustained growth around here, that and the colder climate/high altitude. (1100 ft above sea level avg. where I was.)

They have prepared teas and soups with those local mushrooms, and even had several medical calls that were related to that specific mushroom. (I swear, I am not speaking out of my buttocks!)

--------------------

FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU

Edited by LaughingJim (10/01/04 12:02 AM)

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
    #3203177 - 10/01/04 07:10 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Given the habitat, the purple color, the bulbous base, and the "fuzzy" veil, I would think one a the purple species of Cortinarius, which could be poisonous. There is a distinct difference between blue and purple, and there is a distinct difference between a bruising reaction and the natural coloration of the mushroom. Psilocybe azurescens is a little brown mushroom which bruises intensly when handled, not a little purple mushroom with a bulbous base. Be careful not to poison yourself because of foolish wishful thinking.

I share Gumby's sentiments. There are way to many people claiming to have found this species outside of its known habitat. The one thing all these claims have in common is a lack of photographic evidence and a description that does not match.

You did not find P. azurescens growing in the woods of Vermont. You found a little purple mushroom, probably a poisonous Cort, that you wanted to be P. azurescens. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but disinformation of this kind not only gives people false hope and wastes time, it could also lead to a poisoning.

Peace

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Re: White mushroom with a light hint of tan in the center. [Re: shroomydan]
    #3205039 - 10/01/04 07:32 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Most of the information is from here... or can also be found here.

I think most people get poisoned because all they can find on these sites are vaigue descriptions that describe many mushrooms.

"Blueing occurs in poisonus mushrooms also, and in non-psyco mushrooms", I understand that.

Like I said, there are hundreds of mushrooms around here that "LOOK" like the photos, but that is a vaigue comaprison, along with blueing.

The information I need most, that I can't seem to find is about the looks of the gills, (Laymens terms, not scientific) and what these things look like in all stages of life... Not just bloaty tall harvesting mushrooms. Heck, I would even settle for a quality image, most that I have seen are all majorly pixelated, or too far away to see clearly.

I apologise for my ignorance, I am aparently new, and still learning. I trusted this site as a source of valid information, which you just said is now invalid.

I am only hunting for fun, I am attempting to grow for knowledge.

By the way, thank-you for your response. (My words don't exactly reflect my thoughts, I have A.D.D. and have trouble conveying my thoughts into words... so that others understand, I understand what I am saying perfectly... LOL)

--------------------

FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #3205324 - 10/01/04 09:51 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Laughing Jim said and quoted from my shroomery Ultimate shroom guide about Azures in Vermont..

Quote:

Distribution: Along the northern coast of Oregon in dune grasses. Also found in Washington and British Columbia.

Season: September to December. A cold weather species

Dosage: Extremely potent. 1 to 2 large mushrooms or 2 to 4 small specimens.

Comment: This species has been successfully transplanted into other mulched areas with similar environments. Most recently it has been introduced into Leipzig, Germany with much success. Other cosmopolitan outdoor habitats include: Italy, Austria, Switzerland and in the United States: in New Mexico, Ohio, Wisconsin and Vermont. While this is a good mushroom to transplant, after a few years the patch disappears as the nutrients in the soil and woodchips get eaten up.

I have often brought up the fact that Stamets was the one who made those statements regarding azurescens. Even my colleague Gatrtz has lost most of his azure patrches witin a few years after he planted them. The saddest point I have often made is that the spores never seem to ever reproduce form the original transplanted patches in other locations except in the PNW and they usually dissappear after a few years of growth whent he nutrients int he woodchips and branches has dissipated. IN fact I have often over and over mentioned this to everyone in Wisconsin and on the east coast about the fact they have been transplanted to other areas, but I always note that they do not spreade elsewhere in those locations.

mj

btw, Paul hardly gets into the woods. He rarely leaves his farm except to lecture somewhere and only once or twice a year, like at Telluride does he get to foray for shrooms and Colorado is slightly short on magic shrooms. However, when Paul talks in foreign countries he says a lot of things he cannot say at his farm or in this state.

He has a deal with the DEA pprotecting him from problems as long as he stays awway from magic shrooms as a whole. He also has b people disconnected ont he phone if they bring upt he subject.

Anyway, there are no P. azurescens in Vermont in the woods.

Even a private patch in Vermont would most likely be ins omeones back yard.

Another point which I and Gumby and Toxic always bring up. Psilocybe mushrooms do not turn purple. Purple is but one of several shades associated with the color of the sporeprints which for the genera Psilocybe are chocolate to purple-brown, and usually or darker. The tring of Cubensis for instance becomes a dark chocolate brown. Some Psioocybe spores will blow onto caps of other shrooms and give off various shades of chocolate brown to purtple or violet or lavender.

I recently posted such an image in the shroom hunting forum under violet shroom from Samui.

However, it is the caps which gather the spore color of putple and never the stem. The shrooms turn a sky blue, marine blue, Indgeo or aqua blue to aqua blue-green to green. The green colorations are a mixture of the drying in the caps from brown or reddish brown to straw yellow, common in most p species of the family of Psilocybe and the drying yellow often mixes with the blue to form a green coloration. I have also posted images of green capped P. cyanescens here.

\mj
mj

Edited by mjshroomer (10/01/04 09:58 PM)

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Re: White mushroom with a light hint of tan in the center. [Re: mjshroomer]
    #3206592 - 10/02/04 11:48 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I understand all of that. I realize that those exact shrooms might not exist here. I was curious about the mushroom that I found which was white outside, and blue inside... White and blue made a purpleish-blue color... which is now all gone. The final color now is a medium tan color... The cap is still getting darker tan on top, and the edge has stayed white. However, the gills are still a tan/lavenderish color. (Still no spores, that I can see.)

--------------------

FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies