Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
Water culture problems? CALLING ALL HANDS!
    #3187601 - 09/27/04 05:44 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Ok peoples I tried to setup pachanoi in aquaculture. Tried to use the DWC method and ran into a few problems.

First Problem: I noticed some type of contaminants in the bottom of both buckets.
Seemed to be changing in color from black to brown. I am going to the store as this post is written to buy cleanup materials. Those should be a mask and spray bottle with 10% bleach solution along with rubber gloves. Some contams can be nasty bacteria that can kill and this is a dumb way to die sad.gif

Possible Solution: Too much light was let in the pales by not applying enough duct tape around them. Or the contams could have come from perlite fallen into the nutrient solution? Any comments on this?

Second Problem: When I pulled out the cuttings from the perlite they had no signs of root growth at all.

Possible Solution: Does anyone know how to root these in pure aquaculture? For this setup I tried soaking them in rooting fertilizer for eight hours prior to putting them into the perlite.

I also cut off rot on of them. It was starting from the outside on the flesch. I cut open the cactus and it didn't show any signs of root near the core. Pictures will be posted in the future.

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Re: Water culture problems? CALLING ALL HANDS! [Re: socratesmind]
    #3189038 - 09/27/04 10:35 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

If you cut off rot on the base you must let it re calus. I plan to try hydro too this fall/winter so i have everything rooting in a coir,sand, manure 40/40/20 mixes.

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Re: Water culture problems? CALLING ALL HANDS! [Re: Gr0wer]
    #3189175 - 09/27/04 10:56 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

how are you going to try hydro if you have already rooted your cuttings in soil?

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
    #3192090 - 09/28/04 03:28 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Just simply wash the dirt away from the roots and put into hydro. That's the way I'd do it. Root them first and then put them in the water. Duct tape is a bad idea but better than nothing. Best thing is to spray with krylon primer and then with any paint on top of that. Read the label and make sure it's for plastic. I've been thinking about doing this same project for a long time but never got to it.

Stoney

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Re: Water culture problems? CALLING ALL HANDS! [Re: Stonehenge]
    #3192605 - 09/28/04 06:03 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yep im just going to wash off the soil from the square 4" quart pots and throw em into 5" netpots.

I dont think blocking the light to the rez is that important. Ive seen a few grows on OG with clear tubs and open E&F tables with no problems.

I use krylon fusion for painting plastics, it needs no primer and dosent peel easily,.

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

#3193238 - 09/28/04 08:04 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

so Stoney start them in soil and then just wash off the roots with say a water hose and try to touch them as least as possible?  then fill up the netpot with perlite and put it in the DWC setup?  this sound like a good plan of action to try out cuz i do have a few cuttings rooted in soil :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
    #3195720 - 09/29/04 01:12 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Another way you could do it is root them in sand. Sand is easy to wash off. I'd for sure paint the plastic tubs. Algae growth is nothing to laugh at. It can gum up the inside like you wouldn't believe and it's super hard to get rid of once it's established. Be sure that the cactus and the main part of the root is above the water line. Use gravel, perlite or something as a medium bacuause it doesn't draw up the water very much. You don't want your stem to get wet cause it'll rot. You just want the roots growing into the water. I'd start by having the water level just above the bottom of the net pot and after roots grow into the reservoir I'd let the water level drop and stay below the net pot. You should have no problems with rot doing it that way.

Stoney

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

#3196637 - 09/29/04 05:32 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

great i'm going to use that method starting tomorrow stonehenge. so restart them in 60% san 40% perlite in layers the sand on top and perlite on bottom of pot. and will i be ok watering them with ferts? nan's recipe with 2tbsp/5gal petes professional 20-20-20 fertilizer? What should be the watering schedule??

--------------------

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
    #3196789 - 09/29/04 06:03 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I would just let them sit in the air and callous over first. You said something about rot. Pedros do not need water to root, in fact it makes it harder to root. Let them callous over, then put them in dry soil or sand. I'd just use sand or perlite. Don't water them right away, it might take weeks or months to get roots. When you do get roots then start watering but not real frequently. Let the sand dry out for a few days at least between waterings. Cacti grow roots to look for water, not in response to water being present. After you get a good amount of roots going, then put it in a net pot and let the water touch the bottom of the pot. Make sure whatever medium you are using is not wet or damp at all near the top because that will rot your plant. Perlite is good because it won't wick up the water. After you see roots growing into the water, start letting the water level drop so that it barely touches or is just below the bottom of the pot. As more roots grow into the solution, the water level should never again be up to the bottom of the pot, always below.

Good luck, let us know how it works out. I'll be doing it myself when I get to it.

Stoney

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

#3196930 - 09/29/04 06:39 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

so water maybe once a week keeping them in 100% perlite mix? When watering only do it from bottom feeding like in a saucer or should i dip the netpot in a bucket of fert water say once a week maybe 1/3 way up the netpot just to wet the bottom portion? Hows that tech sound?

--------------------

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
    #3199922 - 09/30/04 12:50 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

You need to root them before you can do water culture. You seem to be in a hurry to water them and that will lead to rot. It might be a good idea to root them in the netpot you are going to use. That would save the transplant shock though cacti seem not to be too bothered by transplant shock compared to most plants. There is no need for water until roots show. Just put the cuttings in netpots or a regular pot with your perlite in some light but not sunlight until they root. When you are sure you have roots then you can try watering every week or so. When your roots are all through the medium, then you will be ready to try dwc. I would use a dilute nute mixture. It should be around tds 600 or so but that would depend on hardness of water and so on.

Stoney

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

#3200136 - 09/30/04 01:43 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

yea i'm going to let them re-calous over before i plant them in the netpots with perlite. thanks for the tips stonehenge.

--------------------

InvisibleSearch59
Yet anotherhobby for me.

#3306361 - 11/01/04 07:24 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

not sure the effect of H2O2 on cacti, but with any rot, H2O2 eats it all up. Do a search on the net for H2O2(hydrogen peroxide) and cacti. H2O2 dissolves into water and oxygen after contacting pathogens, and also over time. H2O2 is prolly one of the least toxic methods of destrying pathogens known. Make sure to look up the proper ratios to dilute the H2O2 into distilled water.

--------------------
The only beneficiaries of Prohibition were bootleggers(drug makers), crime bosses(drug pushers), and the forces of big government(DEA).
(wheres the benefit for the consumer?)

You gotta check this out.
http://www.di.fm/mp3/chillout96k.pls

Ride the wave of the mellow fractal rainbow!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale