Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleG-nome
Scratch tek for cakes *DELETED*
    #318717 - 05/16/01 04:55 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Post deleted by G-nome

--------------------
"Getting an inch of snow is like winning ten cents in the lottery." - Calvin
The Free Spore Ring - the best damn thing since sliced bread?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinehubertd8
Pooh-Bah

Loc: springfield
Re: Scratch tek for cakes [Re: G-nome]
    #318768 - 05/16/01 05:50 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

well i believe the whole point of deep scratching is to expose mycel. to the light. In casings its usefull when the mycel. won't colonize well but on a cake i doubt it helps too much,

have you tried dunking the cakes in cold water, i don't think to many people have done this but i pour cold water on my casings and get faster pin formation, my guess is that it sort of mimics a nice rain fall (that is when mushies appear(day after)).

--------------------
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

Bertrand Russell

Offlineshizifty
enthusiast
Loc: tdot
    #318782 - 05/16/01 06:06 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

the only "stupid" thing here was not waiting before complete colonization. attn all newbs: rule #1 is do not remove until its 100%.
what did you scratch? if it was just a cake then scratching down to the mycelium is redundant because its all mycelium.
all in all you say it got you pins so it wasnt stupid. just watch that cake because its going to contam, a milk dunk is usually saved for a later flush, you would be wise to just try water and a bit of peroxide next time. good luck.

----------------------------------------------------------
im sick of girls walkin the walk with small frames and no brains

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------
creatures of the forest sing along with my chorus

Offlineegghead
veteran
Loc: Milky Way
    #318790 - 05/16/01 06:16 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Roughing up the surface/scratching on cakes worked great for a FOAF. He scratched to avoid the 'overlay' like effect that can keep pins from forming. He did a top & bottom casing on it.. Pinned evenly and heavily.

* Contributor to the Free Spore Ring

--------------------
Where there's skill, there's a better way..

OfflinewhyIdied

Loc: The exact center of the e...
    #319130 - 05/17/01 03:52 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

How deep? How far apart? How many scratches?
How many How questions? How. HOW! (me chiefie, you pinner.........aaaaahahhhaha)

...slow moves, sweet feet...

--------------------
...slow moves, sweet feet...

OfflineTaz
veteran
    #319139 - 05/17/01 04:15 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

was your jars sitting on a heat pad? if so then U dried the substrate out. halted growth is either from too much water are not enough water, U should have never dunked them in skim milk because the cake wasn't 100% colonized, U should of never took them out of the jars before 100% colonization. and yes, U are going to have a contaminated mess on your hands soon. how long was the cakes in the jars before U took them out?

"Out of chaos...comes order...." AND THE FSR..

--------------------
"Most of the world's problems are caused by people taking things that do not belong to them..."

InvisibleG-nome
    #319248 - 05/17/01 09:12 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

First off - I'm not a newbie. Just cause I haven't posted much doesn't mean shit.
Ok - They had been in jars for 4 weeks. I'm guessing I fucked up my water content. I was informed by a few well versed people here at the shroomery that it was dehydration and they referred me to the dunk tek. So I dunk the cake, and it
has done nothing but help.
The bottom had half colonization and was showing any signs of growth.
I only scratched into the vermiculite on the bottom, didn't scratched it off. Nor did I tear into the mycelium. It just stirred things up abit and dunking sped this up.
The jars were placed in a large playmate cooler and heated with an aquarium water heater placed in a glass jar of water.

Perhaps I just need to fuck around with my substrate recipes.

--------------------
The Free Spore Ring - the best damn thing since sliced bread?

OfflineTaz
veteran
    #319284 - 05/17/01 10:35 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

anytime you take a cake out of the jar that is not fully colonized, yer just asking for trouble. and now your trying to come off like your experienced and know what your doing, but your post say's otherwise. IF you have grown before and I'm not saying U haven't but If you been growing before now, then U should know better. U may think it's doing better and it's ok, but you'll be back on here posting about the contams. If you knew what you were doing you would have cut off the uncolonized portion and cased the cake. but U didn't, you now have an open door for contams to get a foothold because it's there and exposed. so who where these well versed people who told U to dunk it? don't sound to verse to me. this sounds exactually like one newbie giving another newbie advice.

"Out of chaos...comes order...." AND THE FSR..

--------------------
"Most of the world's problems are caused by people taking things that do not belong to them..."

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck