Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Abbie Hoffman album (mp3s)
    #3153144 - 09/19/04 12:01 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

***NOTE: OLD THREAD.  DEAD LINKS.***

Here's an album by legendary counter-culture icon, civil libertarian and peace activist Abbie Hoffman. I don't know when or where it was recorded. I don't know if the speech was ever given a name. I don't know if this was ever released on album. All I know is that his was recorded before his 1989 suicide. Enjoy.........

1) National Anthem

2) Radio Show 1

3) Musical Interlude 1

4) Radio Show 2

5) Musical Interlude 2

6) Speaking To Crowd

7) Preaching

8) Musical Interlude 3

9) Nonsense

10) Nitrous

11) Gather By The River

12) Voyage To The Moon

13) Musical Interlude 4

14) Chicago '68

15) Chicago Chicago

16) Chicago Trial

17) Julius Hoffman

18) Individuals vs. Corporations

19) Dope vs. Murder

20) Poetry

21) Musical Interlude 5

22) Silent Majority

23) Rockefeller

24) God Bless America - Shoot Nixon

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Edited by Learyfan (04/20/09 06:43 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblewandrnshaman
old hand
Loc: Pinellas Co, FL
Re: Abbie Hoffman album (mp3s) [Re: Learyfan]
    #3153483 - 09/19/04 06:40 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

very cool!
tyvm, Lf!

InvisibleMerkin
neep.
 User Gallery

Loc: Ass Flavoured Pie Factory
    #3153536 - 09/19/04 07:08 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

!!! i shall be downloading these very soon! learyfan youre too awesome!

--------------------
Wheels of cheese wheeels of cheeeeese!!!

Offlineadamj
Superhero
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, CAN
    #3153538 - 09/19/04 07:08 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

son of a bitch, so THAT'S the guy who was in Forrest Gump.

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
Re: Abbie Hoffman album (mp3s) *DELETED* [Re: adamj]
    #3153809 - 09/19/04 08:15 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Post deleted by blinkidiot

Reason for deletion: Im sorry

OfflineWorf
Lt. Commander

Loc: Final Frontier
    #3153982 - 09/19/04 08:50 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yeh he also wrote a book called Steal This Book. Its a badass book

Offlineplexus
holding thelight of athousand candles

Loc: texas
Re: Abbie Hoffman album (mp3s) [Re: Worf]
    #3154244 - 09/19/04 09:49 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

is 'Steal this Movie' about that?

--------------------
that there, thats not me. :noway:
i go where i please. :yesnod:
im not here.:shake:
this isnt happening.:nonono:

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Abbie Hoffman album (mp3s) [Re: plexus]
    #3154697 - 09/19/04 11:39 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

steal this movie is about his life yeah....

--------------------

Without love in the dream
It will never come true

Offlineplexus

Re: Abbie Hoffman album (mp3s) [Re: Hooty]
    #3154934 - 09/20/04 01:09 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

hmm... im gonna rent it now

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Abbie Hoffman album (mp3s) [Re: blink]
    #3165822 - 09/22/04 04:56 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Glad you guys liked them. I'm bumping the thread for one more round.

--------------------

OfflineBleaK
paradox
    #3167465 - 09/22/04 10:10 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

ty for bumping it or i woulda missed em :wink:

--------------------
"You cannot trust in law, unless you can trust in people. If you can trust in people, you don't need law." -J. Mumma

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
    #3167470 - 09/22/04 10:11 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

thanks  :smirk:

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Abbie Hoffman album (mp3s) [Re: motaman]
    #3168101 - 09/23/04 12:07 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

finally got around to downloading it. It's good shit, not that I expected it to be anything less.

--------------------

It will never come true

OfflineDreamer987
The VerbalHerman Munster
Female

Loc: Texas
    #3168434 - 09/23/04 01:18 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Abbie Hoffman was quite a character.
He had alot of interesting ideas. (steal this book kicked ass), but wasn't a very nice guy. Like he was a member of all these radical counterculture orginazations, that often resorted to violence, and stealing to get there point accross.
He extorted $10,000 from the orgonizers of Woodstock, than had the nerve to show up, and try to run the show.
I think pete townsend or somebody smacked him with a guitar in the back of the head for trying to steal the show

he commited suicide?

--------------------

Offlineplexus

Re: Abbie Hoffman album (mp3s) [Re: Dreamer987]
    #3168524 - 09/23/04 01:43 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

i just rented steal this movie... a very important, mistunderstood, and underappreciated individual. thanks for the album...

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#3169156 - 09/23/04 08:07 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

You're welcome guys.

Dreamer, i've never heard that Woodstock story before(i've heard the Townsend part though). That's terrible if it's true. How did he extort that money??? Do you have a link?

--------------------

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

#3170317 - 09/23/04 02:20 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

yeah I heard the pete townsend part too....I don?t think he tried to show up unwanted though, if I remember correctly he was in the program...though I don?t think he was wanted on stage at the moment Pete gave him the imfamous bashing. I haven?t ever heard of the extortion part of it....hmm.

--------------------

It will never come true

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Abbie Hoffman album (mp3s) [Re: Hooty]
    #3170510 - 09/23/04 03:13 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I just looked it up on the net. I found nothing about any extortion. I think he may have Abbie confused with someone else.

--------------------

OfflineDreamer987
The VerbalHerman Munster
Female

Loc: Texas
    #3170659 - 09/23/04 03:56 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

From Woodstock the oral history. Any typoes are myne, as i copied it from the book.

Joel Rosenman:
Whether to put our security force in uniform, and if so, what kind of uniform-a plain
and friendly uniform or one that reminded kids of the pigs. And along with those decisions, the
decision about whether to have radical literature passed out at booths, wheather to have radical
speakers on stage haranguing the crowds. And we just mad up our mind early on that this was going to
be peace, and music, ant that it was not going to be stirring oratory about political causes.
Although we felt that those were important causes, we just felt this wasn't the event. We were
frightened to do so.

Abbie Hoffman:
I was at a youth international Party powwow or conference in ann arbor, Michigan when i first heard
about woodstock. and i remember a lot of people___this was about June---were talking about this big
music festival that was going to take place at Bob Dylans farm and i said, "Wow, that sounds pretty
interesting." Now, by the time i got back to new york city and started to check out what was actually
going on and knew it wasn't Dylans farm---it wasn't even in Woodstock---I knew it was going to be a
huge event because mythology was so big that people were making up these amazing stories about it,
and it was at that point that i approached the promoters.

Michael Lang: Abbie was a crazy kid at the time. He called out of the blue, thinking that there was
some sort of culture rip-off. He called demanding this and that:"We want money from you; were going
to screw up your show. Were going to fuck this up, that up. You guys are in big trouble." I think
at first i didn't really pay a lot of attention to it. Then finally, when it was getting time to deal
with it, I said, "Listen,if you want to talk about it, we'll get together." and so we went to see
him. And there was a whole coalition of people somewhere in the East Villiage

Abbie Hoffman: I said, "Look, your going to have a lot more people. Its going to be hctic and every
thing. This culture belongs to the people in the streets; were trying to build a counterculture. Im
going to put together a coalition of Lower East Side groups and we want to come back for meetings,;
which they had agreed to. And we came up with about eight or ten groups, everything from the Medical
Committee for Human Rights, to the Up against the Wall Motherfuckers, to Yippies to service
organizations that took care of bad trips and runaways on the Lower East Side. Community-based groups.
Anti-war groups. All of which were centered in the East Village in the Lower East Side of New York
wher i was living and was certainly one of the key organizers.

Joel rosenman:
Abbie thnks taht everything that the establishment is doing-from capitalist rip-offs, from the
military industral complex, from the oppression of the poor, from exploitation of them to our foreign
policy- is just plain old wrong. Being done as badly as it can possbly be done. And there is really
no reason for restraining yourself when it comes to changing things around. Do it as quickly and as
nastily as you possibly can because it the only way your going to achieve results. it wasn't violent
overthrow of the government,in that many words, but it had overtones of that and i generally did not
pay too much attention to groups like that and wouldn't have this time except Michael was paying a
lot of attention to it and was visibly shaken by it.

John Roberts: I had more of a wiew of Hoffman as being sort of witty and not a threatining figure.
He threw dollar bills on the floor of the stock Exchange, which i thought was very funny. That was
a funny prank to do. And didn't he nominate a pig for president? Some of his pranks, i thought,
poked fun in a sharp and clever way at our conventions. I didn't have a vision of Hoffman as a
threatening person. But i didn't give Abbie Hoffman much thought one way or the other.

Joel Rosenman:
So at this meeting Michael said, "I think were in some kind of trouble here. If we say to to these
people, it may not stick. We can say no but we can't control them once theyr there. We can deny
them a booth, we can deny them access to the stage, but we can't tell what theyr going to do."
And i said, "Well shy don't we just call them up and talk to them." And i remember Michael wanted
me to go down there and talk to them. He did not want to go himself. And i thought to myself,
"If theres one peson that can talk to them on their level, so to speak, its Michael. Hes a creature
of the counterculture." But michail somehow didn't feel that was appropriate. He thought that i
could do it much better. And I think that he just didn't want to get in that situation. It was one
wher he-when we finally arrived there it was clear. It was one in whch tap dancing was not effective.
And Michaels specialty was tap dancing. I convinced him to go along with me. I said, I'm certainly
not going to walk down there by myself." The two of us went down somewhere in the East Village.
I dressed sort of casually. I thought they would beat me up less readily, i don't know. By the
time i got done talking to Michael and seeing the expression on his face, I thought this was likely
to be a dangerous meeting. I didn't wear a tie and jacket. In those days especially in the presence
of Michael, I felt that i could only look silly trying to look like a hippie. Because if you try to
look like a hippie and fail, its almost worse than not trying. So I think i wore just slacks and a
turtleneck, or something like that. And Michael was dressed as Michael, which was kind of a Florida/
California hippie. It had flair to it. The right kind of faded jeans and the right kind of leather
vest with fringe, and so forth. The Yippies were not nearly as well done up as we were. The Yippies
didn't give a damn what they looked like.
We were into an office. You walked up a flight of stairs and you were in an office that was no
bigger than this room. Maybe a hundred or two hundred square feet. And it was furnished in a very
spartan way-there was a typewriter here, a couple of phones. There were disheveled people around, a
lot of them seemed to be overweight, not ill fed. This was not a beautiful bunch of people who were
doing this for their image. They fit my stereiotype of deep political thinkers who Michael had warned
me about: that we were in for some "heavy shit," as he put it.
I had a little agenda that i was hoping to get across to these people. In fact, I had worked on
it a little bit the night before because i had a hunch from the way Michael Had been acting that he wasn't
going to be an ardent spokesman at this meeting. And so i had prepared. number one, I was going
to tell them what we were about, and that we were not doing something that was opposed to any of
their views, but rather alongside of, and that the two things didn't really mix as an event.
and i thought that this would be sort of a peacemaking kind of negotiation.
And I think the meeting lasted about thirty seconds. I had no chance to give my agenda, no anything.
Hoffman was abrupt and sort of very powerfully and menacingly- not quite angry, but just sort of,
platform, your agenda, or whatever. Heres what we need." and what he needed was money. He said,
"We don't give a damn about your festival. We don't give a damn about whether you want us or not.
We're going to bring this whole thing down around your ears and if you don't want us to do that
you'll write a check."
He wanted ten thousand dollars. And I stared to talk about- I had this whole preparation-and as i
started to talk, he sort of leaned over real close to my face. he said, "Can you hear me? Ten thousand
dollars." And at that point Micael began to cough sort of to get my attention, and said, "We shoud be going
now" and we left. I said, "Well, we'll think it over. We'll be back to you." This wasn't a discussion.
I had been hoping for some kind of a talk. No interchange, no exchage of views or anything like that.
The price was named and that was it, and we left.
It was a shakedown. There was enough vehemence in it and enouph profanity in it so that i was meant
to take him at his word. Something along the lines of, "Well bring this motherfucking festival
down around your fucking ears if.. "--you know--"unless you meet our demands." And so it was kind
of like, "Make my day. Go ahead, don't write the check and see what happens to you or to all your grand
plans."
Michael was absolutely quiet about this. We took a cab back to uptown office and I said, "Michael,
do we have any room in this? Does this guy mean what he says?" "Yes, he means what he says." I said
" Michael, what kind of maneuvering room do we have here?" and Michael said, "We don't have any
room" And I essentially trotted out all of my arguments and my negotiations on Miichael, which was
sort of a futile thing to do, but i was frustrated and a little frightened because these guys
sounded like they meant business. And I said, "Michael, why dont we go to the police? He said,
"you don't understand this at all, do you?" and i said "what am i missing?" He said "you just don't
understand this, you just don't get it do you?" and he invoked things that were way beyond my grasp
, althogh i must say that they did vibrate and play on that fear that i had they they were capable
of unimaginable disruption and violence in a situation that i had alwyas felt was susveptible to that.
and , of course, history proves that such events are susceptible to that. We didn't conclude that
we were going to pay the money, Michael and I. It was clear that Michael wanted to. I wa uneasy
about it. I still thought, and i talked it ober with John, that maybe we should go to the authoritys
, but we were afraid of blowing something sky-high by doing that.

Abbie Hoffman:
I've seen this meeting referred to in subsequent dissections as kind of a blackmail and all this, but
i don't particularly remember any bad vibes at all. I remeber it as them thinking that it was a good
idea, that it was worth it, that it would help the whole event, and i remember that we would agree
to publisize it, too, through our various organs of comunication and, you know, give it the Lower
East side Stamp of aproval.

Michael Lang:
It was afunny meeting. A lot of what went on in those days were theatrics. And i think
the idea was to intimidate us. I think the whole thing was to intimidate us from the beggining,
knowing Abbie. I didn't want to give him money. I wasn't into buying him off but I did want to
eliminate the heat, in essence. We offered him a deal, basically, to do something positive. His
consern seemed to be that all these kids were going to be out and not be properly taken care of, etc.,
i told him, "If thats your concern, why don't you figure out a way tou can help make sure that they
are taken care of?" He had proposed some sort of a press thing that he wanted to do, some sort of
a newspaper screaming about this or that. I had to personally agree with a lot of things he was
saying, but that had noghing to do with waht we were diong. So i said, "Help put out a survival sheet
" So they agreed to that and we settled on an amount of money that we figured they would rip off so much, and put so much in
or enough in so that they could do a sheet like that, whichi thought would be helpful, everybody thought would be helpful.
I don't remeber the details. I remember that it was kind of ritualistic that morning. My impression
is that there were certain rituals that everybody had to sort of sit through while they did whatever
it is they were doing.

John Roberts: I think Micael prbably overestimated the importance of Abbie Hoffman in those days
, or at any time really. Hoffman was largely irrelevent. He was very good then and has continued
to be extremely good at self-promotion. You hear a lot about Abbie hoffman. But you have to search
pretty hard to figure out-at least i would- how he changed much of anything.

Joel Rosenman: I think that your highlighting one of the things about Michael, too, and that is that
he knew less about this stuff than i did. What he knw about was music and perticullarly the kind of
music that his group was into at the time. and he knew kind of on the surface what people were
thinking or feeling. But he hadn't been into what was ging on in Vietnam or the radical politics
of Avvie Hoffman or Bobby Seale. He didn't know what these people were about, what their power was
, or teir lack of it. He just knew he could tell me that he knew more about it than i did, and
would probably find an agreable listner. So we paid them the Ten Thousand.

Abbie hoffman:
A certain amount of bargaining went on and thats O.K. Its kind of collective bargaining, you know. I mean, I know people are not used to this, but by '69 i was 28 years an organizer. you usually approach people in authority with some terms and you reach some agreement and we reached some agreement, so i don't see the point of hashing throgh the procedures, except to say that there have been mass rock converts ever since that hve known about this and there have been, whether its afood bank or a local drug abuse clinic or whatever that have gone up to the convert and said, " Hey, look, wed like you to kick in a little because its our people, the people that are out in the audience that we care for," and they do. So you know I'm glad that we did this and as you will eventually find out in the narrative, i believe its what saved Woodstock from bieng a disaster.
I think once the terms are agreed upon, its ridiculous to go back and look at how you did it. Its enogh to know that there was a negotiation session, that the reason for it was that there were people, there was acommunity at the time, that community felt that the music had grown out of its bowels, and that it was in conflict with mainstream society, with the police who were working for mainstream societ, with the war in Vietnam, with racism being practiced by the society. That is for all intents and uposes, a revolutionary community. and so this would seem quite natural, if were going to have this kind of event, to try in some way to inject some political content into it-which, of couse, rock promoters and the rock record industry, because this is the part that got them i8n trouble with Southern record distrbutors and with the government-always, always tried to seperate politics from culture as, of couse the movie Woodstock bragged about doing. The producers bragged to my face that roles that I and other
political activists played were deliberately cut out of the movie, and they explained why and i understand.
Columbia University had a famous slogan at the time, you know, "The man can't bust our music." They were taking the energy from the streets and using it for commercial value, saying, "If you are in the rivolution, what you got to do is buy our records," while we were saying, "You got to burn your draft cards, you can't go to Vietnam, you have to come to the demonstrations and the protests and wear your hair long, you know, drop out of school, etc., etc." It was a conflict and we called their process co-optation: that they were able to co opt those parts that were commercial, and the parts that were radcal they were able to reject quite easily. They were able to turn a historic civil clash in our society into a fad, then the fad could be sold.
Im not an antagonist to sex, drugs, rock N roll. I wanted to have a good time. And i know many of htese performers prsonally and i wanted to see as many people as possble have a good time. I wanted to see a good presentation of the woodstock nation, of an alternative lifestyle that showed that all these people could come together and werent going to stab eachother, could enjoy the mucic. and i also wanted them to be able to know at the proper moment that they were supposed to be raising fists and not"Vs", and it wasn't all love, love, love. It was about justive, too. It was bout ending a war. It was about changing our society.

stay tuned later on tonight for the rest of abbies Woodstock exploits, including his guitar bashing, and a plot to steal the woodstock film

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#3183496 - 09/26/04 06:39 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Wow, that's very fucked up right there.  :nonono: How disapointing. Oh well, he was a good guy for the counter-culture over all.

Thanks for typing all of that out Dreamer. I don't blame you if you don't type out the rest. That was long.

By the way people, I just figured out that the name of this album is  "Wake Up America!"

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom