Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinenestafy
Loc: Hawaii
?'s about the DB kit or an alternative
    #314394 - 05/10/01 10:41 PM (22 years, 11 months ago)

Ok.. I'm on my way to becoming a shroom maestro, so I need a little help. So far, after many hours of researching growing techniques, I have decided that I need a setup similar to the DB kit [ if not the DB kit itself ]. Before I make any purchases.. I need to figure out the answers to a few questions.

1. Can the DB kit container be re-used after the compost is finished yielding? ie. filled with more compost after being sterilized?

2. Can the DB kit container be re-placed with a different store-bought container? ie. buy a Rubbermaid of similar transparency & size.. poke holes in it

3. Can a different compost that shares similar reliability and the ability for no fanning or misting be used?

4. Is there a better / cheaper alternative to the grain bags?

5. I want to try the Thai, PESA, & Tasmanian strains with the DB kit or similar method. Are these good strains? Are there other potent & better yielding ones that would be recommended?

6. Weather is warm down here in FL.. but night nime temp is @ 70 degrees now.. should a heating agent be used?

Ok thats about all. Basically I am willing to buy a few kits.. but really don't have all that much money, so I am looking for alternatives that could cut back on the initial cost of my educational project.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineegghead
veteran
Loc: Milky Way
Re: ?'s about the DB kit or an alternative [Re: nestafy]
    #314553 - 05/11/01 06:50 AM (22 years, 11 months ago)

1. Yes

2. Yes, but I haven't seen any posts giving the construction details. Also, I'd think that an opaque container would work much better. Perhaps they went with the clear container thinking that in the absence of any truly opaque containers, they might as well go with one you can see through. And don't bother trying to put tape around it or anything. The light will still be conducted through the plastic down the sides. Sort of a fiber optic effect.

3. Yes.

4. Yes, get oven cooking bags. I don't know that they're any cheaper, but they are an alternative. :)

5. This is subjective. I'd be interested to hear your results.

6. It'd probably be a good idea to monitor the temp of your substrate and make adjustments as necessary Check out the pocket substrate thermometer on this page.

I was hoping someone would give a thorough review, exposing the construction detail and substrate preparation technique. If you get anymore info, please share.

--------------------
Where there's skill, there's a better way..

Offlinenestafy
Loc: Hawaii
Re: ?'s about the DB kit or an alternative [Re: egghead]
    #324910 - 05/24/01 08:28 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

egghead:
you said to monitor temp of substrate .... what should the temp range be ?
Also.. I'll monitor the air temp + humidity ...

you mentioned "oven bags" for a compost.. what exactly are those?

Offlineegghead
veteran
Loc: Milky Way
Re: ?'s about the DB kit or an alternative [Re: nestafy]
    #324937 - 05/24/01 09:12 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

nesta.. did you know that Champion des Champignons has a similar project going? Check it out.

I can't tell you what the temps would be. It might be a good idea to monitor, though, because the temp in the middle of the substrate may reach thermal death levels (100+). There's nothing on the page about internal temps, though.

The 'oven bags' can be found in the grocery store. They're used in baking large meat things like birds and pigs to help them retain moisture. They also come in many sizes.

* Contributor to the Free Spore Ring

--------------------
Where there's skill, there's a better way..

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: ?'s about the DB kit or an alternative [Re: egghead]
    #325431 - 05/24/01 07:18 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I have a couple of the typical rubbermaid-deals going, one is starting to pin massively! One thing I did that I didn't
think about, but will likely continue doing, is I chose a purplish-blue rubbermaid. It's not quite completely opaque, and I still put duct tape around the base, but when the time came to start giving light, I could just set a small fluorescent desk light overtop, and it does a great job illuminating the surfaces of both containers. [did not have to cut any of those annoying little windows.]
Also, I haven't cut any holes in either of these things, though the need for this may rise as fruiting really gets underway.

AND

it is transmitting more in the blue spectrum because of the color of the container. I haven't done enough to know if it makes a difference or not, but it sounds like it would be helpful. Pinning is massive, though.

The above information is complete fiction.

Offlineshorty
journeyman
Re: ?'s about the DB kit or an alternative [Re: Suntzu]
    #325466 - 05/24/01 07:40 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I don't think the color of the container would make more of the light in the blue spectrum. It just acts kind of like a filter and partially removes other colors. So although there is more blue light coming in compared to other colors you would get more blue light as well as the rest of the spectrum with nothing blocking the light. Light output cannot be increased by putting something infront of the light it is simply stopping the other colors from going thru and only passing blue light.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag