Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Hypomyces lactifluorum: The Lobster Mushroom?
    #3142064 - 09/16/04 12:46 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

i have been reading about it being a parasite to other mushrooms and it takes over russula's. i have picked a bunch and woudl very much like to eat them. there are many many russulas growing where i found them (Russula ematica). ive got a gold pan full of them (10 pounds roughly). i am probably gonna dry them, but want to knwo your guys opinions on this.

Here is a link to vaguely describes my concern, although he does not seem to concerned... http://www.bluewillowpages.com/mushroomexpert/hypomyces_lactifluorum.html

also is it better to dry them whol or slice em up?

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Hypomyces lactifluorum: The Lobster Mushroom? [Re: kadakuda]
    #3142262 - 09/16/04 01:31 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

i have not experience with this kind of mushroom, but according to the link you provided I would not be too concerned.

> also is it better to dry them whol or slice em up?
If you slice them up they dry much faster.
When leaving them as a whole you will have to dry them very fast and take care that also the inside and not only the outside is totally dry.

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #3142684 - 09/16/04 07:28 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I wouldn't eat them if you've identified the host as Russula ematica.
Those are poisonous russulas.

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#3143400 - 09/16/04 12:11 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

That's interesting, I'd never heard of 'checking the host'. It makes sense, but I don't know how you'd do it. . .
The link at the bottom to Volk's site:

http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/aug2001.html

Quote:

So I know you're going to ask "Is it edible?" well that's a complicated question. The Hypomyces part is known to be edible, but what about the host? Could the Hypomyces parasitize a poisonous mushroom? Apparently Hypomyces is a pretty good taxonomist, only parasitizing Russula or Lactarius species. According to Clark Rogerson and Gary Samuels, "In large populations of Hypomyces lactifluorum where the host can be determined with some confidence, the host has proven to be Russula brevipes; but associated nonparasitized hosts often belong to the Lactarius piperatus complex." Russula brevipes is a known edible, so it's not too surprising that the complex of these two species is edible. However Lactarius piperatus has an exceedingly hot flavor that renders it inedible for most people-- but that hotness is neutralized by the parasite Hypomyces, making it very delicious. It is conceivable that Hypomyces lactifluorum could parasitize a poisonous mushroom and cause problems for the mushroom eater. However, the lobster mushroom has been eaten for hundred of years without any known problems. If you eat this mushroom you're taking a very, very slim chance of there being a problem, in my opinion .

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

Re: Hypomyces lactifluorum: The Lobster Mushroom? [Re: Suntzu]
    #3143655 - 09/16/04 01:24 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

it seems these random internet sites say that in their opinion it isnt a problem...i dont know, perhaps i need to research the host more. i knwo for a fact it is a russula.

If you could, click this link. second one down is the mushrooms that they are growing from.

http://www.angelfire.com/bc3/fungus/sept1404.html

i only said Russula ematica because THIS LINK fits the description. could it be a different species of russula? maybe Russula brevipes? i did see some others that were white, so maybe it was them?

thanks for the help guys...truely interesting stuff, but a little worrysome for me.

--------------------

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3145334 - 09/16/04 07:46 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Did you taste the russulas? If they are mild tasting they are edible. If they are mild tasting and bruise yellow then brown and smell fishy when they get older they are probably R. xerampelina.

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

Re: Hypomyces lactifluorum: The Lobster Mushroom? [Re: falcon]
    #3145652 - 09/16/04 09:02 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

i didnt put them near my mouth...one is going brown where it was laying in a small pool of water for 20 mins. they all smell a little ronchy when drying (jsut liek the russuals i found but not as stroing).

so is it not edible if it has that hot taste? read somthing about it but cant remember.

--------------------

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3145742 - 09/16/04 09:22 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

R. emetica is hot so its a good idea to stay away form eating hot tasting Russulas.

I've read that in some parts of the world that people eat acrid Lacterius like piperatus which is very hot. I know of one person that uses it powdered as a condiment.

Arora says that Hymalayans collect R. emetica. I might try L. piperatus some time, I think I'll stay away from the hot Russulas. I'm not sure that the heat in Russulas is poisonous as a rule.

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

#3146245 - 09/16/04 11:01 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

was out again today found some Russula brevipes and the ones i stated before. they are still fruiting madly, but the lobsters are coming strong as well. found a patch that must have been 20-30 pounds in about a 30 foot square area. growing under sallel.

so you do not know if they are poisonous? any idea what species of russulas ARE poisonous? at least in canada or north america? i was thinking it could be used as hot peppers are used, if they are not toxic.

--------------------

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #3147274 - 09/17/04 06:59 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

e?met?ic
adj.
Causing vomiting.

n.
An agent that causes vomiting.

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3149745 - 09/17/04 07:29 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

so you do not know if they are poisonous? any idea what species of russulas ARE poisonous

For Russulas:
The ones that turn red, the ones that turn Black, the ones that are peppery tasting or any that have any combintation of these characteristics should be considered possibly poisonous.

If you tasted it and its hot and a Russula and you can not identify it to species it should be avoided because some of the hot Russulas make people sick.

Edit I forgot how to close italics

Edited by falcon (09/17/04 07:33 PM)

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

#3149749 - 09/17/04 07:31 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

:thumbup:

thanks bro.  fucking bugs ate all through them anyway :frown:  i had to chuck them, it was dis-gusting!

--------------------

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3149765 - 09/17/04 07:36 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Thats to bad the looked like they may have been R. xerampelina.
I've been looking for it and haven't found it yet.

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

#3150069 - 09/17/04 09:08 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

i managed to keep the stems. made slices and put them in the dehydrator. i guess not all is lost...

i found them mostly on dirt/small wodd ships/sticks. foudn the most in that under sallal bushes.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom