Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleLthirdSeyeD
Stranger
Male

Calming the Ego
    #3140109 - 09/15/04 06:23 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I was trying to lay down earlier to meditate and while trying to meditate I noticed that once I seemed to have quieted my ego...I would say something in my internal dialogue stupid and it would bring me out of a meditative state. Like I would say something like "Good Job, Your doing good, Oh crap your speaking in your head stop that stop it now..." I would keep speaking like this for awhile and thus not being able to meditate.

Is there any techniques you guys use to calm the ego or this voice in your head? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
Re: Calming the Ego [Re: LthirdSeyeD]
    #3140270 - 09/15/04 06:45 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Rather than try to *think of nothing*, *no-think of nothing*.

It's hard to explain, but try to keep a focused awareness on the void (or whatever you're meditating on - I don't know what your practice is) but don't do it in the same manner as you think *thoughts*. Rather try and detach your observer (your true self) away from all stimuli including the voice in your head (which, despite popular opinion - is not you). If a thought does arise, don't let it bother you, just let it pass by. Don't be worried about not thinking, as this too is a thought. Rather, be like the flower :smile:

With practice it becomes easier and much more effective :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleLthirdSeyeD
Stranger
Male

Re: Calming the Ego [Re: deff]
    #3140305 - 09/15/04 06:49 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I actually dont really have a form of meditation. I always thought the idea was just to calm yourself and make the voice in your head be quiet. Usually I'll just focus in on my breathing and kinda say in and out in my head. But it doesn't seem effective.

What practice do you use?

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

#3140366 - 09/15/04 06:56 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Well that's what I meant by void, which is the most common practice, and is true union with God - the omnipotent infinite void of everything and nothing.

Certain people meditate on specific things, for example chakras, energies, spiritual entities, death, breathing, ect. When you reach a state of absolute blissful void though, these ones (to me anyways) seem like a distraction.

--------------------

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
    #3140388 - 09/15/04 06:58 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

you cant really avoid those thoughts entirely until youve done ALOT of meditating. when you catch yourself thinking, just calmly return to the concentration. DOnt beat yourself up and dont stop meditating.

Use a mantra, like om mani padme hum, or om, or shawlm, whatever

or simply focus on taking deep slow breaths, filling the diaphragm first up to the throat.

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction.

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Re: Calming the Ego [Re: Moonshoe]
    #3140429 - 09/15/04 07:02 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Well with that attitude you can't :smile:

Seriously though, all you have to do is completely let go. You don't do anything but rather stop doing everything. Once you hit the desirable meditative state, you'll be able to get there again really easily.

--------------------

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #3140823 - 09/15/04 08:04 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

well put deff!!  :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

I remember feeling the quiet for the first time off of mushrooms, definately gave me motivation to meditate.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Re: Calming the Ego [Re: kaiowas]
    #3140843 - 09/15/04 08:08 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Ah yes, the wave of blissful nirvana that sweeps by as the psilocybin soaks into your brain. Started my interest in meditation as well :smile:

:mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

--------------------

InvisibleLthirdSeyeD
Stranger
Male

#3141278 - 09/15/04 09:41 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Do you guys meditate to music or do it in a quiet environment?

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

#3143786 - 09/16/04 01:44 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I've done it to music, but I prefer silence.

--------------------

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
    #3143801 - 09/16/04 01:48 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

im not sure if meditation led to mushrooms or mushrooms lead to meditation but i see them as equally usefull tools.

Thats why my travel plan involves first goint to south america to do psychadelics with the shamans, and once the doors of my perception are thouroughly knocked down ill head over to the orient for some serious temple/monastary meditation

sounds to me like a damn good 2 step 'calming the ego ' program

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction.

OfflineElfWizard
Wizard
Loc: The middle,Outside,nowher...
    #3144023 - 09/16/04 02:20 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Silence works best otherwise you find your "thinking" about the music I posted something on this and hope you don't mind if I cut and past from another post Bah the post is gone :/ Basicly heres how I do it take an hour a day set it aside so you will not be interupted make shure your well rested (so you don't fall asleep) and find a comfotable seat (in a chair lotus what ever works for you but not laying down or reclined)and not full but not hungry you don't want to lose energy to digestion but you also don't need you body interupting you telling you it needs fuel then follow these steps not all at once unless you allready advanced

1. Do not see - close your eyes and clear you mind of any pictures don't force a Black mind just let everything go it might be white like a blank screen or black like deep space or even grey but don't force any of those into your mind just let everything go if something does form in you minds eye let it drift away don't force it away.
2. do not Feel - Let you body relax and let go of any sensations it's hard to meditate if you body keeps calling you mind to pay attention to it. let it go just drift away from the sensations feel you body go numb (yes in order to not feel you have to first feel weird huh)
3. Do not hear - hear nothing from within you head or without this one is kinda hard cuz as you stated you mind wants to talk it will get bored and you'll hear internal dialoge let it go don't force your self to be silent forceing your self tend to only incurage or leads to more internal "talking" just let it go if your mind says something ignore it and let it drift away eventualy you'll get the idea
4. Do not think - this is the last step and after you have mastered the others will come fairly easly but is harder then that after a while your mind will get bored and thought ideas sounds sights will drift into your mind again do not force them away that will drag you out and you'll have to start all over just let the drift away as you float in nothingness you will just "BE"

I might not have rembered everything I've done this for so long I tend to "BE" most of the time and meditation is as easy as sleeping or eating I just sit down and do it. any questions I'll be hapy to elaborate just PM me the method I use is a bit of a Zen method but I got into thanks to some work with the Kabala (how ever you want to spell it and I'm not good at the true spelling to many Q's :wink: )hope this helps some

:heart:  :thumbup:

--------------------
"Fear is the Mind Killer"
Frank Herbert's Dune

"Shoot straight, conserve ammo and never cut a deal with a dragon"
Shadowrun street Proverb

To announce there must be no critisism of the president or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong is not only unpatriotic and servile but is morally treasonous to the american public
Pres. Theodore Roosevelt

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate