Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
Mushrooms that call out to people to find them.
    #3135988 - 09/14/04 07:19 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

The FAQ gives a logical explanation for this...

"The scientific explanation says that the limbic system in our brains recognizes patterns when it is important for it to do so and we are familiar with the pattern. Those of you who are old enough to have bought a car will probably remember that when you bought a new type of car you began to see a lot more of them than before you bought the car. That is because your mind registered that type of car as being more important now that you have bought one. Without that recognition, your car would be a lot harder to find in a parking lot that it normally is. It is the same with mushrooms. When your friend points them out your mind makes mental notes on the exact type of habitat the mushroom was growing in. The more of them you find the more input your brain receives and helps you find even more of that type."

But, if you have hunted for mushrooms and have found that they have called out to you... what is your explanation for this, and how does this fit in your current belief system?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
Re: Mushrooms that call out to people to find them. [Re: TheShroomHermit]
    #3136032 - 09/14/04 07:28 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I don't know about mushroom hunting, but that same principle of pattern recognition is what I think is responsible for much of what people classify as synchronicities. Imagine being aware of and isolating all the times events and data didn't coincide with previous patterns? I think this would cancel a lot of people's belief in synchronicity...

--------------------

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

Re: Mushrooms that call out to people to find them. [Re: deff]
    #3136548 - 09/14/04 09:18 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Fungi have been shown to have intelligence.

http://www.alternet.org/envirohealth/19680/

"The idea that a cellular organism demonstrates intelligence may seem radical if not for work by researchers like Toshuyiki Nakagami, published in Nature 2000," Stamets writes. "He placed a maze over the nutrient agar filled Petri dish and introduced nutritious oat flakes at the entrance and exit. He then inoculated the entrance with a culture of the slime mold Physarum polycephallum under sterile conditions. It grew through the maze and consistently chose the shortest route to the oat flakes at the end. Rejecting dead-ends, the slime mold demonstrated, according to the researchers, a form of intelligence."

In my lab work I have always noticed this sort of intelligence in mushroom mycelium as well.They grow toward substrate that is out of reach.They seem to have no way to tell or sense which way anything is but will always grow toward the most nutritious substance that is closest.I've also noticed that when I put mycelium in a petri dish with poor nutritional material it will grow along the petri dish in search of something more nutritious.This "searching for better nutrition behaviour" is only present when the material is low on nutrition.When highly nutritious material is present it doesnt grow across the empty plate seeking.

I believe all living things have life energy and this energy vibrates at a specific frequency much like a radio signal does.I also believe that we are personally in tune to certain signals which to me explains people's affinity for only certain animals or plants and some people seem to always find/run into and feel close to certain plants and animals.

All living things have some form of intelligence.Some form of free will.Some people just seem to have a relationship with certain mushrooms as well.

--------------------
Do not desire to reach a high level.Rather work without thought of reward to iron out flaws and impurities in one's self for the sake of one's self.When one has done this one needs not to desire anymore. http://www.lifeforceonlinestore.com/yc/

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
Re: Mushrooms that call out to people to find them. [Re: UnenlightenedOne]
    #3136924 - 09/14/04 10:43 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Paul Stamets sure is a fruitcake. Cool tests though. Really cool.

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: Mushrooms that call out to people to find them. [Re: TheShroomHermit]
    #3136936 - 09/14/04 10:47 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

So... can you get a craving to do mushrooms? Like they are "calling" out to you... does the limbic system need them?

My thought horny brain likes them... yes.... maybe its just "temptation"... :blush:

OfflineBlueOrb
prototype
Loc: The fourth dimension
Re: Mushrooms that call out to people to find them. [Re: Zero7a1]
    #3137620 - 09/15/04 03:31 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Interesting post....I became obsessed with looking for liberty cap mushrooms about 3 years ago. I had no previous experience of them, but I was drawn to them by some indescribable force. My freiends believed that I was becomming obsessive (I am a recovering alcoholic) like when I used to drink. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I found these mushrooms and they have changed my life. I now cultivate Cubesis strains and me and a group of friends have had a doorway opened into a new spiritual paradigm.....So do they call out to people?..............I believe so!

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Re: Mushrooms that call out to people to find them. [Re: UnenlightenedOne]
    #3139193 - 09/15/04 02:51 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

About that experiment...

It does not demonstrate that fungi have any sort of "intelligence." It simply shows that fungi react to their external environment. Plants do the same thing. They respond to gravity by growing up instead of down. They respond to light by positioning their leaves to get the optimum amount of sun. Even their roots grow towards areas in the soil with optimum amounts of water and nutrients. It's all controlled by hormones, and this has been proved by many scientific experiments. I learned about it in my Botany class.

There's a technical word for it, but I can't seem to remember it right now... I think it might be 'trophisms,' though. For example, a plant's response to light would be called phototrophism. You could probably look it up online if you want to know more.

Peace,

RebelSteve

OfflineBlueOrb
prototype
Re: Mushrooms that call out to people to find them. [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #3139206 - 09/15/04 02:55 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

So how do you explain my obsession with finding shrooms? They really did call me to them, and my life has changed in dramatic ways since.

Offlineteen
Yeee Haaww

Re: Mushrooms that call out to people to find them. [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #3139216 - 09/15/04 02:57 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Never the less, I am convinced mushrooms have communicated things to me. Usually after I ate them though.

--------------------
Don't give me that load of bunk~!

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Re: Mushrooms that call out to people to find them. [Re: teen]
    #3139250 - 09/15/04 03:08 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

"Those of you who are old enough to have bought a car will probably remember that when you bought a new type of car you began to see a lot more of them than before you bought the car"

i recently got into graffiti art. Suddenly seems like my city is coverd in tags when a while ago i didnt notice any

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction.

OfflineBlueOrb
prototype
Re: Mushrooms that call out to people to find them. [Re: Moonshoe]
    #3139271 - 09/15/04 03:15 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

None of you still haven't given me an explanation as to why the mushrooms called out to me to discover them.....

Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

Re: Mushrooms that call out to people to find them. [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #3139736 - 09/15/04 05:11 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Mixomatosis said:
Paul Stamets sure is a fruitcake.

"Some people think I'm a mycological heretic, some people think I'm a mycological revolutionary, and some just think I'm crazy," he says cheerfully

--------------------

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: Mushrooms that call out to people to find them. [Re: BlueOrb]
    #3139897 - 09/15/04 05:42 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

maybe it is coded in your DNA that mushrooms is "ok"
and as you get near one, it scream at you, as the color red tend to do..
say you enter a room 7 people sitting there, one has a bright colored shirt, rest got pale, the thing you notice is usually the brightest color, it kinda screams to you? watch me, watch me?
i tend to say blood is red simply because it is the loudest color :P as one may think that would imply it "talks" hehe

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
Re: Mushrooms that call out to people to find them. [Re: Gomp]
    #3139927 - 09/15/04 05:49 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Or, red is the loudest colour because we associate it with the colour of blood :smile:

But I agree, they probably stand out because your subconscious (incredibly smart piece of machinery) has isolated patterns in mushroom hunting and extrapolated them into this extra "sense".

--------------------

OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

Re: Mushrooms that call out to people to find them. [Re: BlueOrb]
    #3142959 - 09/16/04 09:50 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

You answered your own question by explaining how you became obsessed with hunting for shrooms.  The "calling" you claim seems to be a fabrication generated by your fixated mind.  Anyway, aren't shrooms great?  :smile:

--------------------
"...yet another in a long series of diversions an attempt to avoid responsibility."

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order