Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinewhyIdied

Loc: The exact center of the e...
BAKING IN THE OVEN???
    #309538 - 05/04/01 05:49 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

If I baked, say, cow shit or a mixed casing in the oven, wouldn't that be a fine way of sterilizing? Why always a preasure cooker or pasturization? My oven goes up to 550 degrees and is quieter and easier to use. Is there something I'm not seeing that makes oven sterilization less effective? Because it seems to me it'd be the way to go as much as possible.

Please share opinions / common knowledge, etc...

...slow moves, sweet feet...

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineI_Sore
Re: BAKING IN THE OVEN??? [Re: whyIdied]
    #309561 - 05/04/01 06:31 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Yes....Actually there are some very nasty bacteria that survive even in high temps. The pressure, however, makes them go *POP* As far as pasturization goes with your your dung try this:

A 5:1 ratio of dung/water
Put it in a bit oven pan.
cook that 'shit' at 200 for 1 to 1.5 hours
you know dats right, you is pasturized dawg!

Sorry had to use the 'ebonics' (actually the language of a any idiot no matter what color)

Peace and chicken grease!

--------------------
Second star to the right, and straight on 'till morning..........Let us choke down some of this fairy dust and we are coming peter!

OfflinewhyIdied

Re: BAKING IN THE OVEN??? [Re: I_Sore]
    #309677 - 05/04/01 10:30 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

A thousand thankyou-s!!!!  That's exactly what I was looking for. 

I_Sore, you rock.  :cool:

--------------------

Offlinegratefulredhead

Loc: Off the map....
    #309681 - 05/04/01 10:39 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

baking is fine for pasteurizing--160-180. this is great for dung and casings, etc... be careful not to go over these temps if you don't want to sterilize. sterilizing tempr are around 250. that's when the pressure cooker comes into play.

--------------------

OfflinewhyIdied

#310241 - 05/06/01 12:06 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

OK, now I understand that there's this phantom bacteria that is killed at 160-180, but thrives at +212????  How can this be? 
And even if it is, what about the +500degrees that an oven can get to?  Wouldn't that nuke the fuck out of even those magical bacteria? 

What I really need, I think, is a link to a page that describes the behaviors of these magik bacteria fuckers!!!  Then I can outwit them and murder them forever in my ovens of genocide....whoa.  (What was that?)  :shocked:

Um, anyways, does anyone know the name of the bacteria that everyone is warning everyone else about?

--------------------

Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

Loc: Sandy Eggo. Ca.
    #310277 - 05/06/01 01:37 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

how can you possibly bake SHIT!!.....lol....
....and you think shit smells bad as it is.....
imagine the smelly shit molecules expanding throughout the air......
.................cookies anyone?

~fortyounces2freedom~ & ~disconnectedhaze~

--------------------
:pacman: - - - -  :pill: :mushroom2: :pill2: :mushroom2: :regularshroom: :mushroomgrow: :pill: :pill2: :mushroom2: :poison:

:sun::heart::sun:

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

Invisibleoscill8
*bondage fairy*
    #310283 - 05/06/01 01:49 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

hi why... i dont have an exact answer, but remembered something similar in my pressure canner's instructions about heat and the evil nasties on food... (from presto:)

"water boils at 212 degrees (except in mountainous regions) and this temperature is sufficent to arrest or destroy some spoilage organisms- enzymes, molds and yeast. however a temperature of 240 degrees or above is needed to destroy harmful bacteria, especially botulinus..." but it doesnt seem right that botulinus would be helpful...? im curious to if anyone knows the phantom bacs...

--------------------
? oscill8 2001, 2002
"Any data submitted to Shroomery.org becomes our property"

OfflinewhyIdied

Re: BAKING IN THE OVEN??? [Re: oscill8]
    #310304 - 05/06/01 02:31 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

OK, internet craziness for me.

All I have found is that botulism (super-toxic) needs to go to temps above 212 for over 10 minutes to be killed for sure.  It is the only bacteria I found so far that is heat - resistant (and has articals about it).  Botulism doesn't tollerate oxygen well (any reasonable ventilation in PF jars is probably a big problem for botulism :>)

So........AGAIN....I think that oven steralization method of taking things to, say 300+ degrees could work very nicely...as long as it gets that hot in the center of the "baked goods"
I am more interested in using the oven method to steralize casing and dung/compost. ( I would be too affraid of drying out jars if I cooked them in the oven.)  I use a lot of foil trays, and it would be ultra-convenient to bake the hell out of, say, a casing batch, and then store it in the fridge under some foil till I wanted to use it...
This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship (cackles knowingly) :wink:

--------------------

OfflinewhyIdied

Re: BAKING IN THE OVEN??? [Re: oscill8]
    #310308 - 05/06/01 02:44 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Oh, and I also wanted to include some crazy shit I learned...

There was an artical that cited the possiblity of botulism poison being mass-produced by terrorists and used as a kind of chemical weapon.  Don't bother being prepared for that...I guess if you get enough of this toxin in your body, you will die and there's nothing you can do about it!

Botulism spores are found everywhere!, like in dust.  It is probably for this reason that...

The greatest number of botulism deaths is counted in the IV drug-user's world.  Needles can shove that shit deep in your flesh, where it blooms and your diaphram ceases to function - ergo - you asphyxiate.

Lots of other neat stuff on botulism, I'm kinda rambling, but HEY!  Check out this funky picture I found! 

yup.
Please, anyone with any facts I've missed...let me know.

:shocked:-WIDE-EYED-:shocked:

--------------------

OfflineKrendle
veteran
    #310399 - 05/06/01 07:52 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

JUST FOR FUTURE REFERENCE IT ISN' NECCESSARY TO MAKE THE TITLES OF YOU THREADS IN ALL CAPS OK???? lol. you'll get your answers anyway, and it is kind of irritating, to me anyway :)

This space for rent.

--------------------
First person to PM me with a truly witty sig gets to see their words at the bottom of my posts :wink:

OfflineI_Sore
Re: BAKING IN THE OVEN??? [Re: Krendle]
    #310402 - 05/06/01 08:21 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Give it a shot.......oooooo and there are microwave teks. Ive never tried one, but since microwaves heat from the inside out through molecule vibration and friction, it also kills all bacteria. Here Ill give you the link in the shroomery archive.
www.shroomery.org/findorgrowthem.php?View=docs&doc=69

--------------------
Second star to the right, and straight on 'till morning..........Let us choke down some of this fairy dust and we are coming peter!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract