Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
common mistakes for first-timers
    #3094799 - 09/05/04 11:39 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

:frown: poor choice of jar - too big to colonise in a decent time: half-pint recommended

:frown: mixture too wet - next time, gradually add water until saturated, then add the flour

:frown: mixture not airy, looks like sludge - use large chunk vermiculite, and don't shake or tamp it down

:frown: water gets in during sterilisation - cover with foil, gentle simmer only

:frown: incomplete sterilisation - you won't know you did this til it all fucks up. give it an extra bit of time (hour?) to be sure. a stitch in time saves nine.

:frown: inoculating too soon - gotta let it get to room temperature after the boiling/pc: allow at LEAST 4 hours for this, preferably longer

:frown: growth starts, then stalls - did you remember to take the tape off and invert the jars after they got going?

:frown: not sure whether to cake or case? - decide, then stick with it. do both, even. otherwise you'll do neither one properly if you try to switch late.

:frown: no pins even 10 days after birth - check your four triggers (light, temp, humidity, air exchange) and inspect for contams and pests. then worry.

etc etc etc

--------------------
buh

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCaRnAgECaNdYS
Tool's groupie
Female User Gallery

Loc: Billy Howerdel's closet Flag
Re: common mistakes for first-timers [Re: shirley knott]
    #3094803 - 09/05/04 11:39 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the tips!

--------------------

The secret to being funny is to say smart things stupidly, or is it stupid things smartly? Whatever..it's not rocket surgery...or something like that.

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: common mistakes for first-timers [Re: CaRnAgECaNdY]
    #3094820 - 09/05/04 11:44 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

thanks for your lips

--------------------
buh

Invisiblemuse_sick
ĤŌĿŶĞЋ0$Ŧ

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Giu La Testa
    #3094823 - 09/05/04 11:45 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

you should make this sticky shirley

--------------------
:beakedwhale:

OfflineCaRnAgECaNdYS
Tool's groupie
Female User Gallery

Loc: Billy Howerdel's closet Flag
Re: common mistakes for first-timers [Re: muse_sick]
    #3094825 - 09/05/04 11:46 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

muse_sick said:
you should make this sticky shirley

:thumbup:

--------------------

The secret to being funny is to say smart things stupidly, or is it stupid things smartly? Whatever..it's not rocket surgery...or something like that.

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#3094826 - 09/05/04 11:46 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah ain't those lips wonderful

The tips are great Shirley

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

Invisibleutopianglory
Spunkmuffin
    #3094827 - 09/05/04 11:47 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Almost every single one of those errors should never be seen if the newbie has read enough. Funny thing is so many of them are down to the newbie disease (impatience/overeagerness).

Posing these is a good idea though, if we compile a good list why not point every newbie to it just to make sure. It takes two minutes to read that list and it will stick in the mind easily.

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: common mistakes for first-timers [Re: utopianglory]
    #3094833 - 09/05/04 11:50 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Yes reading does help but, good old fasion experience is the finnal teacher. I think by you sayingmistakes should never be made if you read enough is not very wise thing to say. Sorry

--------------------

Invisiblefearfect
Loc: Flag
    #3094838 - 09/05/04 11:50 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

what i never realized was how dry the grain needs to be/look :frown:
After PCing my first batch, they looked wet and dark and failed.
my second time after PCing, they looked a LOT dryer then the first... in fact I was almost worried that I had cooked all the water out.  But apparently that means its good because they are colonizing like crazy now!

Invisiblefearfect
Loc: Flag
Re: common mistakes for first-timers [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #3094840 - 09/05/04 11:51 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I agree :thumbup:

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #3094843 - 09/05/04 11:53 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

before my first ever grow, i musta read every tek, every post, spent days on end cramming my head with it all. still there was stuff i never was expecting, like fuzzy cakes, and gnats, and aborts, and all those smug bastards going on about their cakes 'colonised in 9 days'. mine took a couple of months!

i've made every one of these basic mistakes up above.

--------------------
buh

OfflineDickCheney
Stranger
    #3094846 - 09/05/04 11:54 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Is there a tek that outlines all those procedures? The tek (PF) that I used didn't indicate jar inversion.

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: common mistakes for first-timers [Re: fearfect]
    #3094859 - 09/05/04 11:58 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

with so much to get potentially wrong, that is why grain preparation, casing layer mixing, and bulk substrates are generally recommended as the stage after one successful simple-ass crop.

i'm all for experimentation, but i always give newbs a hard time when they experiment with a part of the pftek before trying it once the recommended way. start with grains, casings, bulk, agar, liquid myc, whatever, but whichever you choose, don't fuck with the instructions.

that is all.

/steps down from soapbox

--------------------
buh

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: common mistakes for first-timers [Re: DickCheney]
    #3094869 - 09/05/04 11:59 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

The PF Tek... while good, is limited.

Limited because PF himself won't be updating his tek for quite some time... because he was arrested for selling spores and growing instructions. Selling spores in the USA is legal... but selling spores and growing information is not... I guess. PF is currently on parole.

So, the PF tek is sound, just a little outdated... he also recomends a drip guard!

There have been many simple refinements made to the PF tek since pf's arrest... including turning the jars upside down... and the dunk & roll.

These additions can't be added to the PF tek, unless PF himself decides to write growing teks again... which is doubtful.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Edited by Rose (09/05/04 12:03 PM)

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: common mistakes for first-timers [Re: DickCheney]
    #3094877 - 09/05/04 12:03 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I would stick with the official PF tek time of 20 min for PCing. 1/2 pint jars are tiny, there is no way you need to cook them for an hour. Quart rye jars are done in an hour.

-FF

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#3094883 - 09/05/04 12:05 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah my first grow was with 24 jars and 12 weeks later I had 4 good cakes and 9 dry grams to show for it. Well I did snack alittle in between but not more than 2 grams or so. :rolleyes:

--------------------

Invisibleutopianglory
Spunkmuffin
    #3094888 - 09/05/04 12:08 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Fucknuckle said:
Yes reading does help but, good old fasion experience is the finnal teacher. I think by you sayingmistakes should never be made if you read enough is not very wise thing to say. Sorry

Perhaps it is not a wise thing to say, but if you read what I said you will see I did not say that. 

Quote:

Almost every single one of those errors should never be seen if the newbie has read enough.

Not errors in general, just the ones on the list.  Which are all fairly well referenced in almost every tek.  If you have done your reading you've read quite a few teks and hence will probably not come across many of these problems.

EDIT:  Maybe I'm strange, but when I read "Strain your grain", I don't think, well I'll have a look at it and decide then, I just strain my grain because what the hell do I know about grain when I first use it.  (No offence to the person currently in this situation in another thread, like I say, I must be different because nobody agrees with me about reading and not making mistakes :smile:)

Edited by utopianglory (09/05/04 12:10 PM)

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: common mistakes for first-timers [Re: utopianglory]
    #3094917 - 09/05/04 12:18 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

One thing is for sure Utopianglory, people here sure do like to defend there position. Myself included :tongue2:

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3094926 - 09/05/04 12:20 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

One of the most common mistakes a newbie makes also is going in without a pinning strategy which is more than just giving them light, fresh air and temp drop, you notice I did not mention humidity? that is because there has always been humidity your not introducing it :wink: it is the time of initiation that makes for awesome pinsets. I will mention a little understood trigger which IS the forth trigger and that is total colonization where in combination with the other triggers will produce massive pins if your initiation timing is optimum/perfect. Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy. A must read for any newbie and yes you will have to register :wink:

OfflineIamthewalrus
every evening Idied and everynight I wasreborn
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario
    #3094930 - 09/05/04 12:21 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

biggest mistake is expecting a huge perfect flush your first time...sure you'll prolly get some cubes but there is a lot to learn to get sweet pinsets with big healthy shrooms

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale