Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineToricious
Theblunt-smokinglense-man.

Potting logs
    #3094455 - 09/05/04 09:25 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Well I just done having a bunch of reishi jars finished colonizing on WBS and now i'm ready for the next step, and given that I am mostly growing reishi for esthetics, I thought I should pot a log. Stamet's book talks about it but it's kind of vague, so I thought i'de ask a few questions here. First, should I pasturize the log and soil to eliminate the baddy contamies? I'me going to sterilize my sawdust and wood chips in the pressure cooke (the filler for the pot)...is this alright? Can I just keep the pot in the room somewhere without the need for extra heating (22 degrees celcius in the room, dunno the humidity level but im assuming thats what the soil is there for)? Do I just give it regular light coming through my room or should I pull out my lights and give it a 12/12 light cycle? How deep should the dirt be, and finally should I wait for the log to be colonized before adding the soil? Thanks all for your help :p

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Potting logs [Re: Toricious]
    #3098191 - 09/06/04 07:59 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Let me first establish that I have no experience with growing reishi in any manner.

That said, you must understand the very premise for burying a reishi-log. The soil provides an essential active biological haven. Here, dirty is good. If you were to sterilise the soil you would radically alter the established biological cultures which are keeping each other in check. I would expect sterilisation would allow a select 2 or 3 contams such as green or lipstick or powder mold or something equally disgusting to take hold and flourish.

As for your logs they certainly do not need to be sterilised. Rather, you should focus on using freshly felled wood. The older the wood the more likely competitor fungi have already moved in and begun colonisation. Freshly felled wood has optimal starting water content as well. I can't imagine trying to sterilise a whole log anyway.

You are right in that the soil maintains humidity and prevents log dry-out but I am unsure about watering and drainage for an indoor grow. Mother Nature takes care of that problem outdoors. Also, IINM, Mother Nature provides the proper temperature fluctuations to trigger fruiting though I suspect a fully colonised log will someday fruit regardless of temperature changes.

Hopefully someone with some indoor resihi log cultivation can help you out on that one.

Oh, yeah, the logs should be buried post-colonisation. If you were to bury post-inoculation I would expect the buried end to become colonised with fungi present in the soil... altho I do know someone personally who buried post-inoculation (outdoors) with success.

http://www.mycosource.com/sawdust%20plug%20spawn%20use%20instructions.htm

http://www.toi-reishi.com/reishi-cultivation.htm

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies