Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Say something positive about Christians
    #3086763 - 09/03/04 09:54 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

A lot of people here bash Christianity, and I confess I've been guilty of it myself. But I feel it also has its positive aspects,and I thought I'd cancel out some of the negativity by having people say what they like about Christianity or Christians.

For starters, Christians have done some fine charity work. I have a cousin who works for a Catholic charity organization that finds low-income housing for the homeless. Christian charities have donated countless funds to feed the poor throughout the world.

Also, Jesus was an awesome person. He taught about love, forgiveness, tolerance, and transcendance. I don't think his teachings were all that different from those of Siddhartha Guatama, except that Siddhartha lived in a culture in which those ideas were better understood. I once had a strong trip in which I felt like I was Jesus on the cross, tormented spiritually, then I accepted Jesus's love into my heart and the pain ended. I don't know if that makes me a Christian(I still don't believe in the inerrancy of the Bible, and I still believe in a pantheistic God, not an anthropomorphic one), but it was an intense experience which made me feel closer to God.

Also, Christians can be very nice people when you get to know them. Some of my closest friends are Catholic, and my grandfather is a Christian theologian(and probably the smartest man I've ever met). I admit there are many close-minded, hateful, ignorant Christians, but I believe they are for the most part a vocal minority. Even some of the ones whose views I greatly disagree with are some of my best friends.

What would you say is good about Christianity?

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Say something positive about Christians [Re: silversoul7]
    #3086789 - 09/03/04 10:04 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

well.. like any religion there's the good and bad. I think the basic message of christianity is a good one.. love your neighbor, live a virtuous life, etc, etc. But unfortunately that's often overshadowed by all the dogma and judgements.

Most christians are loving people, who will take care of those they love and their fellow humans. That's commendable in my book. It's the christian's with hidden agendas and dogma trains and aces up their sleeves that I don't agree with. But I think in it's essence, before it was perverted, Christianity is a fine religion, or should I say, a fine set of principles to live by.. but it has just been taken too far, IMHO.

--------------------

OfflineSource
Remainder of anUnbalancedEquation
Male

Loc: Outer Darkness
    #3086883 - 09/03/04 10:32 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Jesus

--------------------
What you're searching for is what's searching.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #3087150 - 09/03/04 11:36 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I have been a Christian basher, too, even though I am a Christian. Maybe like you say, it's the vocal Christians with an agenda that make it bad for the rest of the Christians, and maybe there really aren't too many of those. Maybe there are more good Christians, but they're quiet?

I'm starting to think that regardless of what most people proclaim to be, people are just kind of bad, in general. I think there are more bad people in the world than good people.

Sorry. I have recently had some bad encounters with "Christians". There really isn't anything good about most Christians, IMO.

Okay, sorry. I'm trying to think of the few Christians that I know that aren't like most Christians, and what I like about them is that they are just trying to live life the way they believe Jesus taught us to live, and they don't judge other people, and they do good things without going around and bragging about it.

I just had lunch with the deacon of a baptist church. He had accompanied a friend of his to court for a hearing, and I didn't even know he was a deacon, much less a Christian, until half way through the day. He didn't walk around saying things like, "God bless you" and crap like that, which, in my mind, is an indication of someone who isn't really a true Christian. People who make a big noise about being a Christian are usually up to no good, secretly.

He just talked as if he was a normal person, but later, at dinner, I asked him about his beliefs, and he believes just as I do, but he also believes in not going around hitting people over the head with his beliefs. He even teaches a bible study once a week. He works with poor people.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #3087156 - 09/03/04 11:37 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

they burn well
:lol:

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: Say something positive about Christians [Re: DoctorJ]
    #3087182 - 09/03/04 11:43 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Say something positive about Christians [Re: Frog]
    #3087214 - 09/03/04 11:50 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

> people are just kind of bad, in general.

People are people, both good and bad. Each of us has it in our hearts to be either; the choice is ours to do with as we please. If only people would realize that we have been given this choice, and it is not their duty to make the decision for us.

> they are just trying to live life the way they believe Jesus taught us to live

If somebody claims to be a Christian, but does not follow the above, are they still a Christian? I would think that ones actions, not ones proclamations, define what one is or is not.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: Say something positive about Christians [Re: Seuss]
    #3087329 - 09/03/04 12:15 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
> people are just kind of bad, in general.

People are people, both good and bad. Each of us has it in our hearts to be either; the choice is ours to do with as we please. If only people would realize that we have been given this choice, and it is not their duty to make the decision for us.

Right. I agree that Christians shouldn't go around pointing the finger at people. I personally don't do that, and I represent a lot of criminals. I could have a lot of fun pointing the finger, but then I think, "that could be me".

But when I brought up the point that people are bad, in general, I meant that when people proclaim to be something, such as a Christian or a lawyer, that doesn't make them "good". They SHOULD be good, but they are probably bad. I have almost gotten to the point that when I meet someone that proclaims to be one or the other, or both, I will not associate with that person.

I have met a lot of lawyers. A LOT. When I first became a lawyer, I thought I was entering an honored profession whose members were honest and ethical, etc. For the most part, and I am talking about 85-90 per cent, lawyers are unethical and dishonest.

Same with Christians. For the most part, when someone says he/she is a Christian, I figure that they are probably not really behaving as Christians in their lives, and I figure that the Christian is probably just like a lawyer. Lying, cheating, manipulating, and has a hidden agenda.

Quote:

> they are just trying to live life the way they believe Jesus taught us to live

If somebody claims to be a Christian, but does not follow the above, are they still a Christian? I would think that ones actions, not ones proclamations, define what one is or is not.

I agree. But those are the people who make a bad name for Christians. They are the reason people don't like Christians. They are the reason that ss7 started this thread. People come here and bash Christians because of the Christians out there who are hypocrites.

--------------------

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #3087336 - 09/03/04 12:17 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

hungry lions seemed to enjoy eating them

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Say something positive about Christians [Re: Frog]
    #3087338 - 09/03/04 12:17 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Frog said:
I have met a lot of lawyers.  A LOT.  When I first became a lawyer, I thought I was entering an honored profession whose members were honest and ethical, etc. 

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: Say something positive about Christians [Re: Shroomism]
    #3087423 - 09/03/04 12:37 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I know, Shroomism, I know. I laugh, too, now. I didn't laugh in the beginning, and about 6 months into being an attorney, I was so emotionally devastated to find out that lawyers are basically crooks and liars and cheats, after a series of events where I experienced first-hand their cheap tricks, I thought I would have to get out of the profession. I didn't know how I could stay in it without getting soiled, or vomiting daily. But I had a talk with someone, and I decided to stay in the profession and be the "one good lawyer". Well, there are a few that are good. Very few, however.

But that's why I brought lawyers up in this conversation. When someone says they are a lawyer, you would think they are honest, ethical, etc. Same with Christians. I have learned that just because someone says they are one of those things doesn't mean that they are automatically a good person. Most likely, they are bad, because I think most people choose do bad things. Becoming a Christian or a lawyer doesn't make you good. You still have to watch their actions to determine if they are good or not.

--------------------

OfflineMad_Buhdda_Abuser
    #3087449 - 09/03/04 12:41 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Jesus was married and had sex!!! and had a baby!!!! I think thats posititive hahaha

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #3087479 - 09/03/04 12:47 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

What I like about Christianity:

*Jesus, as already mentioned. Just thinking about him can make me want to cry because he was such a brave, strong, enlightened, wonderful man. I consider him a role model for myself.

*Good hearts. I adore Christians (or anyone for that matter!)that have tender hearts and care deeply for their fellow man, and not only that, but show it in their every action. Many Christians do so much good for the world and it inspires me to do the same.

That's about it, but those two points are what I try to keep in mind. I admit that I sometimes feel leery whenever someone says that they are a Christian, but I try not to let my ego get in the way of my relationship with them.

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #3087568 - 09/03/04 01:18 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Christians as a cultural presence are good people, many on the concept of the word but fewer on its essence ...

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Anonymous

#3087737 - 09/03/04 02:06 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

What would you say is good about Christianity? 

the teachings of jesus.  the rest of it is garbage.

christians(including the preachers) are so lost they dont even realize what is important(atleast the ones i know dont even know how to show it)....  LOVE.  jesus taught love, breathed love, did everything out of love.  i teach love, many others here speak of love.  we do the same thing as he did.  we ATTEMPT to bring you to the absolute truth, even the shrooms TRY, but its all on you to open your eyes.

i despise how christians live in fear of god.  its pathetic.  and also i despise that people try to tell me that i am going to hell because i do not accept jesus as saviour.  duh, jesus is simply a brother of light, EQUAL TO YOU AND I....even hitler.  its just jesus did exactly what we as beings of light will have wanted to do with our lives, and hitler did exactly what we do not want to do.  So jesus is a good role model.

all jesus attempted to do was awaken us. bbbbuttt.....when he pointed, people just stared at his finger :smirk:  and they still do  :rolleyes:

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #3087774 - 09/03/04 02:14 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

The best I can do would be to say:

They had the right idea, but they got off track somewhere.

Also: Christians instill good moral values in their children... it is then up to the children to see past the limitations of Christianity where their parents could not. (My dad was a practicing christian while I was growing up, and it happened to me...)

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: Say something positive about Christians [Re: Shroomism]
    #3087896 - 09/03/04 02:41 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
Quote:

Frog said:
I have met a lot of lawyers.  A LOT.  When I first became a lawyer, I thought I was entering an honored profession whose members were honest and ethical, etc. 

Its funny; my father thought the exact same thing when he went to law school. 

but then, 15 years later, he would come home from work every night, tired, depressed, angry.  "Dont ever be a lawyer, son," he would tell me, "You just become a tool of a bunch of rich assholes trying fuck a bunch of other rich assholes over."

but, on the bright side, now my father lives on a beach, works when he feels like it, makes tons of money on real estate, and the only real obligation he has is keeping his more dubious clients out of jail.  I hope he lives another 60 years in that paradise.  He deserves it.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #3088040 - 09/03/04 03:29 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

A lot of Christians are nice people, but I wouldn't say that the Christianity made them nice.

I don't have anything more against christians than anyone else who believes in superstitions.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Anonymous

Re: Say something positive about Christians [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #3088187 - 09/03/04 04:10 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Also: Christians instill good moral values in their children...

heh, id say it depended on how hardcore the christians were. i know a kid who dresses satanic because his parents wouldnt let him do a fucking thing when he was a kid, he had no life because everything was "wrong". So this is his way of recieving the attention he missed as a kid.(just reachin out for love)

and i also know those who got the devil BEAT out of them????? wtf. that is SICK. christianity will make you fucking sick in the head if you take everything in that book LITERALLY.

i mean....just do a search, there are people in mental wards over taking christianity the wrong way. living in fear will do this.

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#3088214 - 09/03/04 04:15 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

In my team are a "free Christian" (broke loose of his denomination and looks to find his own way) and a fundamentalist Mormon.

Our psychedelic sessions go very deep, to the bone in fact, and you can really talk about the essential things.

What they got out of the bible was the notion it is all about LOVE. The Free Christian is a VOL helping severely retarded people in an institution and the Mormon is prone to random acts of genuine Goodness to complete strangers.

The fundamentalism means we (Mormon x Pagan) disagree on several spiritual matters that cannot be resolved. We do however respect each other and don't try to convert.
I go: "Reincarnation!" he goes: "Are you going to be surprised in Heaven!" and I go: "I'd love to, we can plan which planet we'll walk the next time around!" we fundamentally disagree but the notion that
the Good is the prime force blots out bitching sprees that have happened in the past.

Two Christians in my team. Both are clearly touched by the desire to do good, use the bible to guide them in that and say they find their inspiration in Jesus.

Now thats a --very-- good thing, innit?

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom