Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
Bush Suggests War on Terror Can't be Won
    #3070933 - 08/30/04 08:26 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=st...94&ncid=716

By SCOTT LINDLAW, Associated Press Writer

NASHUA, N.H. - President Bush (news - web sites) ignited a Democratic inferno of criticism on Monday by suggesting the war on terrorism could not be won, forcing his aides to scramble to defend his remarks just as he had hoped to bask in convention accolades.

Bush sought to emphasize the economy ? New Hampshire's appears to be on a rebound ? but his comments on terrorism dominated national attention.

In an interview on NBC-TV's "Today" show, Bush vowed to stay the course in the war on terror, saying perseverance in the battle would make the world safer for future generations. But he suggested an all-out victory against terrorism might not be possible.

Asked "Can we win?" Bush said, "I don't think you can win it. But I think you can create conditions so that the ? those who use terror as a tool are less acceptable in parts of the world."

Democrats, looking for ways to deflect the spotlight from Republicans as they opened their convention in York, pounced.

"After months of listening to the Republicans base their campaign on their singular ability to win the war on terror, the president now says we can't win the war on terrorism," said Democratic vice presidential candidate John Edwards (news - web sites). "This is no time to declare defeat."

"The war on terrorism is absolutely winnable," Edwards said later on ABC's "Nightline."

"I decided a year ago that he cannot win the war on terror," said retired Gen. Merrill McPeak, former Air Force chief of staff, at a news conference in New York organized by Democrats.

White House spokesman Scott McClellan sought to clarify the president's remarks, telling reporters, "He was talking about winning it in the conventional sense ... about how this is a different kind of war and we face an unconventional enemy."

"To suggest that the war on terror can't be won is absolutely unacceptable," said Sen. Joseph Biden (news, bio, voting record), D-Del., the senior Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

"First George W. Bush said he miscalculated the war in Iraq (news - web sites), then he called it a catastrophic success and blamed the military," said John Kerry (news - web sites) spokeswoman Allison Dobson. "Now he says we can't win the war on terror. Is that what Karl Rove means when he calls for steady leadership?"

Meanwhile Rove, Bush's chief political strategist, acknowledged that the continuing conflict in Iraq could be a political liability in key swing states such as Pennsylvania, Florida and Arizona.

"We're in a war, so you got a lot of people who say, `I don't like the fact that we're in a war. But I want to win the war,'" Rove said in an interview in New York with Pennsylvania reporters.

The coordinated Democratic attack came as Republicans sought to portray Bush as a strong leader in the war on terrorism in the opening session of the Republican National Convention.

Bush suggested in an interview with Time magazine that he still would have gone into Iraq but with different tactics if he had known "that an enemy that should have surrendered or been done in escaped and lived to fight another day."

He called the swift military offensive that led to the fall of Baghdad in April 2003 "a catastrophic success" in light of the fact that fighting continues to this day despite the overthrow of Saddam Hussein (news - web sites)'s government.

Speaking in Nashua, Bush praised a 3.9 percent unemployment rate that is considerably below the national average of 5.5 percent, below other states in the region and below New Hampshire's July 2003 rate of 4.3 percent. "It's dropping every second," Bush said with a smile as he took credit for the state's gains.

Bush was on a three-day, six-state campaign dash that will bring him to New York late Wednesday.

Later, in Taylor, Mich., he acknowledged at a rally before thousands of supporters that that state's "recovery has lagged." July's unemployment rate of 6.8 percent in Michigan was tied with Oregon for second-highest after Alaska.

He charged that Kerry's longtime support for raising automotive fuel-economy standards would worsen the state's unemployment. Kerry's campaign rejected that.

Bush "is trying to mislead Michigan voters on Kerry's plan to increase fuel efficiency," said Kerry spokesman Phil Singer. Kerry would provide $1 billion to help plants convert to make the autos of the future, Singer said.

"Kerry will ensure that the energy-efficient cars of the future are made in Michigan. Lee Iacocca knows this ? that's why he's supporting John Kerry this year." Iacocca, the former Chrysler Corp. chairman, campaigned for Bush in 2000 but backs Kerry this year.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Bush Suggests War on Terror Can't be Won [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #3070975 - 08/30/04 08:36 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Then why the fuck would you start a fucking war on "terrorism" in the first place?

I'm not sure if Bush ever thinks anything over before he does or says something.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Re: Bush Suggests War on Terror Can't be Won [Re: Learyfan]
    #3071005 - 08/30/04 08:43 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

who knows, he's not very smart you know

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #3071030 - 08/30/04 08:48 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Let's start a "War On Idiocy". It'll be won once each and every idiotic thought is stamped out.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #3071044 - 08/30/04 08:50 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Learyfan said:
Let's start a "War On Idiocy". It'll be won once each and every idiotic thought is stamped out.

I say we just get rid of all the safety labels and let the problem sort itself out.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
Re: Bush Suggests War on Terror Can't be Won [Re: z@z.com]
    #3071178 - 08/30/04 09:08 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

z@z.com said:
Quote:

Learyfan said:

I say we just get rid of all the safety labels and let the problem sort itself out.

lol

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

OfflineZahid
Stranger
    #3071190 - 08/30/04 09:11 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Of course the war on Islam cannot be won, duh!

--------------------

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: Bush Suggests War on Terror Can't be Won [Re: Zahid]
    #3071353 - 08/30/04 09:39 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Zahid said:
Of course the war on Islam cannot be won, duh!

Are you saying that by trying to destroy the terrorists we are attacking Islam?

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

OfflineZahid
Stranger
Re: Bush Suggests War on Terror Can't be Won [Re: z@z.com]
    #3071380 - 08/30/04 09:43 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

By invading sovereign Muslim nations and supporting the zionists you are attacking Islam.

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #3071552 - 08/30/04 10:22 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

In the most strict sense of the terms involved in the discussion, the war on terrorism cannot be won -- in the sense that if we do X, Y and Z there will be no more terrorists -- so Bush is correct. There will always be terrorists, just as there will always be rapists and robbers and murderers.

It may not have been the most politically astute thing he has ever said (no politician ever gains votes by stating what people don't want to hear), but it is certainly an accurate assessment of the facts.

pinky

--------------------

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Re: Bush Suggests War on Terror Can't be Won [Re: Phred]
    #3071690 - 08/30/04 11:17 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

spin spin spin

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Re: Bush Suggests War on Terror Can't be Won [Re: Phred]
    #3071695 - 08/30/04 11:18 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Just sounds to me like an excuse to keep the nation in perpetual fear.

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
    #3071761 - 08/30/04 11:32 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

If anyone here is being idiotic it is those who refuse to understand what Bush actually said. I think it was an extremely realistic assesment. The US may destroy Al-Qaeda and put an end to global terrorism, but there will always be some who will use terrorism, and that respect America's duty to stop terrorism will never end. I think any person with half a brain realizes that makes perfect sense.

I think this thread is a fine example of willful ignorance and misinterpretation. I don't there is anyone poster here that actually believes we can stamp out terrorism once and for all so stop the hypocrisy.

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #3071770 - 08/30/04 11:35 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

of course the war on terror cant be won. thats the whole fucking point.

for fifty years they used 'communism' to keep the populace in fear. But that was dependant upon a nation, the USSR. When the nation fell due to its own intrinsic flaws, everyone stopped being afraid for a little while.

'Terrorisim' is a beautifully crafted piece of propaganda, in that it has such an ambiguous definition of 'the enemy'. Its not dependant upon the survival of any nation, so it can go on forever. They'll be using this shit as an excuse to take our rights away and kill foriegners for the next hundred years.

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Re: Bush Suggests War on Terror Can't be Won [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #3071774 - 08/30/04 11:35 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Sort of like the inability of an unamed goverment to stop the war on drugs?

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Re: Bush Suggests War on Terror Can't be Won [Re: Rono]
    #3071793 - 08/30/04 11:41 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Rono said:
Just sounds to me like an excuse to keep the nation in perpetual fear.

BINGO!!!!!! WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

republicans need wars and fear to stay in power...the country is really left leaning on many issues until u scare them..look at all these right-wing pundits screaming about how scary al-queda is. in reality u have a better chance getting struck by lightning than killed by a terrorist/

Offlinepazuzu
Shroom-o-Vision
    #3071807 - 08/30/04 11:44 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

The War on Terrorism is about as smart and winnable as the War on Drugs. Sigh. These old republican politicians and their silly ideas.

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Re: Bush Suggests War on Terror Can't be Won [Re: pazuzu]
    #3071813 - 08/30/04 11:46 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

socially conservative people prevent the world from moving forward

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
    #3071817 - 08/30/04 11:47 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I don't think so. I think it is very cynical and unrealistic to believe the war on terrorism was some concocted scheme to take away peoples rights and keep people at war in perpetuity. On the one hand we do have to win to defend our country, but on the other terrorism itself will probobly never die. I think both of these realities are not contradictory at all.

Just because police can never completely stomp out crime doesn't mean we should get rid of them altogether. Just because we will never make poverty go away completely doesn't mean we can't reach certain goals and make improvements. I'm sorry to tell you guys, but the instant gratification approach usually doesn't work.

And yes there is an enemy. It's funny, 3,000 people get killed by terrorists, and couple years later some forget that terrorists even exist. The terrorists are Islamic extremists who believe that Western culture is the bane of Islam and that anyone that challenges their version of Islam must be estroyed. These people use deliberate targeting of civilians for media and shock value to demoralize their enemies into submission. That is exactly what we are up against.

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Re: Bush Suggests War on Terror Can't be Won [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #3071831 - 08/30/04 11:50 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

more people die from aids, where is our war on aid? what about our war cigarettes? or maybe a war on drinking? bush has probably killed more civilians than 3,000 ...where's the war on bush?  :smirk:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order