Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Emotions and addiction
    #3054568 - 08/26/04 05:45 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Emotions are caused by neurotransmitters from the brain. They are essentially chemicals, and from what I have heard, they apparently affect the same area of the brain that opiates do. So just like heroin, we can literally become physically addicted to an emotion. If you cannot control your emotions, then it is likely that you are addicted to those emotional states. But like heroin, I firmly believe that such dependencies can be overcome. You must start with the decision to not feel the way you do. It will not be something that happens overnight, but it will happen eventually if you are committed enough. Know that this is something that you do have power over. You are limited only by what you choose to believe. You most likely have become accustomed to a world which is beyond your control and there is nothing you can do. This is a lie. You create your own reality. You can take control of your life if you choose to.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibletrendalM Happy Birthday!
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: Emotions and addiction [Re: silversoul7]
    #3054619 - 08/26/04 05:54 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

You must start with the decision to not feel the way you do.

Excellent! Though I like to put it as "make the decision to feel the way you want to feel.

To anyone who thinks emotional control is not truly possible...well have you tried? It's taken me most of my life, to come to the point I have...but I've made it: emotion is just a state of mind. If you don't like the state of mind you are in...CHANGE IT! Don't like being sad? DON'T BE SAD! You do have control over your own mind.

If you don't want to believe that you have control over your own mental functioning...then how can you see yourself as anything but a zombie? Forever lost in the clutches of a REactive nervous system.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Offlineld50negative1
lethal dosage

Re: Emotions and addiction [Re: silversoul7]
    #3054693 - 08/26/04 06:05 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I definetly agree with you here ss7 - The only real way to get out of something like depression/anxiety is to change your emotions gradually over time

--------------------

Offlinedmtrypr
psychonauticalengineer

Loc: Florida
Re: Emotions and addiction [Re: ld50negative1]
    #3054973 - 08/26/04 06:51 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Addictions come about as a person believes more and more strongly that their happiness, joy, and their own identity is dependent on some outside thing. People with "addictive" personalities believe that they "need" someone or something to be complete or fufilled. Heroin addicts attach as much significance to the process of finding, preparing, and shooting up heroin as the actual "high" itself. The same goes with any other substance abuse "problem" as well as with emotional dependancies. It would be an over simplification to say that we experience emotions simply due to neurotransmitters in our brains. A correlation between an emotional state and the presence of a chemical does not neccisarily imply a causation. It is more likely, rather, that emotions themselves give rise to physiological processes (i.e. dopamine/epinephrine/seratonin release). It is shown that people watching violent movies have higher levels of testosterone, and people watching romantic movies have increased progesterone. Did these hormones cause the person to be more aggressive/romantic? Or did the emotive state lead to their production. As far as remedying an addiction, the affected person needs to first realize that who they are is a separate entity from "what they do". Just because you do heroin doesn't mean you have to indentify yourself as an addict (especially if you want to quit and not end up as a "junkie"). Identification as a person in "recovery" and finally identification as someone who is "clean" is essential. Addictions manifest through a broad spectrum of outlets, drugs, sex, etc. are all possible objects of addiction. I wholeheartedly agree that "you are in control" and that we "create our realities". I just wanted to emphasize that the actual process of "addiction" is still a mystery, and I do not believ that it has a simple or easy solution.

--------------------
"There is no greater power in heaven and earth than the thought of the son of man. Though unseen by the eyes of the body,yet each thought has mighty strength, even such strength can shake the heavens." -Gospel of the Essenes

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: Emotions and addiction [Re: trendal]
    #3055024 - 08/26/04 06:58 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

trendal you're the shit dude! :thumbup: :thumbup:

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder