Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblewizard2k
life-scientist

Loc: NRW
Some new names in edible mushroom cultivation
    #3047567 - 08/25/04 05:11 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Hallo dear shroomery members and readers!

It is relatively easy to find names and descriptions of shrooms which are worth trying to grow and should be suitable for cultivation.
I found four species which I would definitely like to cultivate.
AFAIK these shrooms where not mentioned in any growlog:

Calocybe gambosa
http://www.fotonatur.de/show.php?id=FM10/FMMRPCD50041

Collybia dryphila
http://www.pilzfotopage.de/Agaricales2/pages/Melanoleuca%20cognata.html

Volvariella gloiocephala
http://www.pilzfotopage.de/Agaricales2/pages/Volvariella%20gloiocephala.html

Camarophyllus pratensis - which grows in mycorrhizal symbiosis with herbage and grass. It should not be too difficult to sow some sort of special plant on the casing-layer, but it would be one step into the direction of growing mycorrhizal fungi. This one is even edible.
http://home.att.net/~mushroomhunt/Camarophyllus_pratensis.htm

And there are lots more!
Please let me know if there are shrooms in your area, that one should pay more attention to.
It is important, that they are not mycorrhizal symbionts to huge plants.
Cultures (agar wedges) or spores of "new" edibles are highly welcome!
Shroomery diversifies edible mushroom cultivation.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Some new names in edible mushroom cultivation [Re: wizard2k]
    #3047628 - 08/25/04 06:23 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Great that you came up with this theme!
I think there are a lot more of interesting species that would be worth cultivating - even if it might be a bit difficult.

In the german book "Pilzsammlers Kochbuch" from Rose Marie D?hncke it says that the mushroom Pluteus cervinus can be cultivated on hard and softwood. Anyone tried that yet? Another very interesting and good tasting edible is the Lyophyllum aggregatum or Lyophyllum decastes. It grows on compost at the beginning of winter when it starts to freeze. But I am not sure if it's a mycorrhizal.
A close relative of this mushroom is the Lyophyllum connatum which would possibly be worth cultivating.

Another interesting species that is a close relative to Volvariella gloiocephala which you mention and the tropic Paddy straw mushroom is Volvariella bombycina. It already has been cultivated successfully. See also this thread.

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
    #3047739 - 08/25/04 07:43 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I tried to clone Calocybe gambosa several times but always failed. I'm not sure about the mycorrhizal status of this species. I have books that classify it as a simbiotic and others that say that it's a saprophyte.

Invisiblewizard2k
life-scientist

Re: Some new names in edible mushroom cultivation [Re: ragadinks]
    #3048568 - 08/25/04 12:42 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I'm glad to see that there are more people interested in some challenge.
If there is no code of practice and no growlog for these species, I would like to give each of them a try.
The simbiotic Camarophyllus pratensis mentioned in the first post is probably a little bit too hard.

Calocybe gambosa could be hard to grow, too. I read, that it is a saprobiont.
Although that means that it decomposes organic matter, it is suspected to be able to live under certain conditions in simbiosis with broad-leaved trees, if one can belive this peace of information:
http://www.pilzfotopage.de/Agaricales2/pages/Calocybe%20gambosa.html
(sorry in german)

Great that you tried to clone it; do you have any idea, why it didn't work?

About the Lyophyllums I found out, that some of the family-members are parasitic or simbiotic respectively saprobionts... confusing. Need more info on these.

I could imagine that some shrooms can live the one or the other way... with or without a plant partner.
An easy one might be Volvariella gloiocephala. The most difficult part will presumably be to obtain spores or a living culture. Did someone already ate it, was it tasting good or does someone even own a culture?

Soon here the mushroom-season starts, this time I will look especially for edibles which urgently need to be cloned and cultivated and not only for boletes, chanterelles and their relatives.
Thanks for your ideas and thoughts!

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

#3048955 - 08/25/04 02:32 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

On this web page and on this one it says that Shiimeji is Lyophyllum descastes and grows on wood - strange ?. Maybe they mix it up with Hypsizyus tesselatus?
At this site it is referred to as Hatakeshimeji.

Here is also something about Lyophyllum:
Quote:

Yamaguchi T, Matsuda, Y., Ito, S., Nishii, T. u. Sakakura, (2003) Untersuchungen H. ?ber Bearbeitungmethode von  decastes Lyophyllum . - Bearbeitung der wilden  decastes- Isolate  Lyophyllum mit den S?gemehlmittelbl?cken begraben im Boden. WISSENSCHAFT 51 Chubu Wald: 223-224 (auf japanisch).

On site it says that Lyophyllum descastes has medicinal properties and can form mycorrhizae.

Quote:

The Lyophyllum decastes group produces fruiting bodies that are fused at the base to form clusters or tufts. This group was previously thought to be saprophytic, but there are reports that it can form mycorrhizae with coniferous and deciduous trees.

But it also says that in Japan the cultivation of this species has been patented:
Quote:

In Japan, this mushroom is used in bioremediation of toxic sites and water purification systems. It is cultivated on wastes after cultivating Pleurotus ostreatus and Pholiota nameko. Many patents have been granted for cultivation techniques of L. decastes in Japan.

It's a pity that I could not find any of these patents - does anybody know how to search for them (google did not help :frown:).

Invisiblewizard2k
life-scientist

#3049663 - 08/25/04 05:38 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Bon soir
Hypsizygus tessulatus is Buna Shimeji, at least that's what I think it is.
Stamets writes in his second book, that in Japan there where around twenty mushrooms named Shimeji, what means they "grow on wet ground".
Some of the best edibles (we might not know them) where called Shimeji.

Lyophyllum descastes looks bigger than the Buna Shimeji I once bought.
I reckon it is something different.
Lyophyllum decastes can be confused easily and Lyophyllum indeed is a very interesting family as I could withdraw from the links posted.
Are there any grow reports? It seems to be grown frequently in Japan.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about patents.

EDIT: Here is an other interesting name mentioned in one of the links ragadinks posted: Naemataloma sublaterium. It is grown in Japan for commercial purposes. Anyway I have never heard of it until now.

Edited by wizard2k (08/25/04 07:03 PM)

InvisibleSpeeker

#3051440 - 08/26/04 12:12 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

A couple of hits found from US Patent Database:
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parse...LD2=&d=ptxt

Lyophyllum results from gb.espacenet.com:
http://l2.espacenet.com/espacenet/search...heSubmit=Search
Abstracts mainly..

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

#3051604 - 08/26/04 01:00 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

> Here is an other interesting name mentioned in one of the links ragadinks posted: Naemataloma sublaterium. It is grown in Japan for commercial purposes. Anyway I have never heard of it until now.

It seems that Naemataloma sublaterium is just a synonym for Hypholoma sublatertium.
It is sold at Fungi perfecti's site as Kuritake.
The funny thing is that some of the descriptions say that the mushroom is not edible. See here.

On fungi perfecti's site it also says that the Buna Shimeji is Hypsizygus tessulatus. There must be a lot of different Shimeji's :confused:.

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Some new names in edible mushroom cultivation [Re: Speeker]
    #3051733 - 08/26/04 01:40 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks speeker for the link to the patent search!

In this patent
the growing parameters of a species called Lyophyllum ulmarium are described in detail.
It seems that the name Lyophyllum ulmarium is just a synonym for Hypsizygus ulmarius ( see  here ).

And this patent  mentions that Lyophyllum decastes is called Honshimeji in japanese.

Finally I have found a patent for the cultivation of L.decastes.
In the United States Patent 5,349,121 the cultivation of L.decastes is described in detail.
Not all strains are able to produce fruitbodies in artificial conditions and that the strains found in switzerland haven proven to do best.
These are the strains K-3303, K-3304 and K-3305 - wonder where one can get these strains ?

Now we only have to find a good strain and try it out :wink:.

In the abstract of japanese patent JP11243774 this culture substrate for L.decastes is mentioned:
Quote:

Abstract

PROBLEM TO BE SOLVED: To provide a method for artificially culturing Lyophyllus decastes by using a specific culture medium containing a bark compost as a main component support, capable of stably generating the Lyophyllus decastes having a high quality at a low cost.
SOLUTION: This method for artificially culturing Lyophyllus decastes uses a culture medium containing a bark compost as a main component support. Therein, 5-20 pts.wt. (absolutely dried weight) of chaff and 10-50 pts.wt. of rice bran are formulated to 100 pts.wt. of the bark compost in the culture medium.

Have found some patent nummers for the cutlivation of L.decastes here.
Just wonder how I can read the patents without having to pay for them ... :smirk:

Edited by ragadinks (08/26/04 02:59 AM)

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

#3052162 - 08/26/04 05:56 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

To sort out all the different japanese and latin names I have created this list:

Shaka shimeji  -> Lyophyllum fumosum / Lyophyllum cinerascens
Hon shimeji    -> Lyophyllum shimeji=Lyophyllum aggregatum=Lyophyllum decastes?
Hatake shimeji -> Lyophyllum decastes / Lyophyllum aggregatum
Buna Shimeji  -> Hypsizygus tessulatus / Hypsizygus marmoreus
??            -> Hypsizygus ulmarius / Lyophyllum ulmarium
Kuri take      -> Hypholoma sublatertium / Naemataloma sublaterium

Please tell me when something is wrong/missing in this list and I will add it ... 
( dzira any comments ? :wink: )

EDIT: Got a great link from speeker that maps japanese names to latin names:
http://gmr.landfood.unimelb.edu.au/Plantnames/Sorting/Fungi_Japindex_kat1.html

Edited by ragadinks (08/26/04 01:12 PM)

Invisiblewizard2k
life-scientist

#3057123 - 08/27/04 07:31 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Does anyone have one of the cultures mentioned above or other rarities ?
Maybe you want to trade:

Pleurotus ostreatus
Pleurotus ferulae
Pleurotus eryngii
Pleurotus citrinopileatus
Pleurotus djamor
Stropharia rugoso-annulata
Hypsizygus tessulatus
Hericium erinaceus
Coprinus comatus
Lentinus edodes
Flammulina velutipes
Calvatia gigantea
Black Morel
Psilocybe bohemica
Grifola frondosa*
Agrocybe argerita
Panellus stipticus*
Ganoderma lucidum*
Hypholoma capnoides
Still unidentified but avaliable and edible (button mushroom like), fruits at room temperature. Primordia formation on rye.

*these will take time (only avaliable in test tubes or as backup culture, need to be transferred to larger petridishes first).

Please feel free to contact me via PM if you would like to trade. THis collection could only be accomplished becaus of the shroomery members kindness :smile:!

Quote:

Got a great link from speeker that maps japanese names to latin names:
http://gmr.landfood.unimelb.edu.au/Plantnames/Sorting/Fungi_Japindex_kat1.html

Hehe, then "mushroom" is called "masshuruumu" in japan.

--------------------
Looking for: Volvariella volvacea, Panaeolus Cyanescens and rare edibles. Trades are welcome!

Edited by wizard2k (08/27/04 08:59 AM)

OfflineShdwstr
FSRCanada
Male

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #3058832 - 08/27/04 03:43 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I still have a few Flamulina velutipes prints that were donated to the FSRC if your interested.

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Some new names in edible mushroom cultivation [Re: Shdwstr]
    #3065387 - 08/29/04 02:00 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Look what I have fond on  this web page - a picture of a cultivated Lyophyllum decastes:

So it really works :smile: !

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

#3069533 - 08/30/04 02:20 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

When you have a look at all the strains of Lyophylum decades they tested out for this patent
it seems that you have to isolate a lot of different strains in order to get one that does well on agar and fruits easily:

You can see that all strains from switzerland did much better than the others.
Some of them never fruited at all!

This article  describes how they isolated some strains of Lepista nuda from France and Australia and tested their ability to fruit in culture.
Also here - big differences (The aussies were better :wink: ).

The conclusion from this all might be that you have to isolate and test several strains till you might have luck and find a fruiting one ...

InvisibleSpeeker

#3074059 - 08/31/04 01:57 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Invisiblewizard2k
life-scientist

Re: Some new names in edible mushroom cultivation [Re: Speeker]
    #3074315 - 08/31/04 02:50 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

From speekers link:
Quote:

The commercial domestication package of an indigenous tropical mushroom (Milky mushroom) has been  standardized. Milky mushroom is a truly tropical species requiring temperature of 28-35?c for fruiting. The biological efficiency of this species is very high and it has excellent shelf life The Bag and shelf/tray system of cultivation of milky mushroom has been standardized. The tray system is more labor efficient as compared to bag system...

And what is Dhingri (also mentioned in the link above)?

http://www.techno-preneur.net/timeis/technology/SciTechAug03/mushroom_cultivation.htm
Quote:

(iii) Milky Mushroom: Milky mushroom has starts becoming popular in Haryana. This mushroom grows well at higher temperatures of 30-40oC. It grows both on wheat and paddy straw with good yield. The straw is chopped, wetted/treated at 80-95oC in hot water for thirty minutes. After draining the water, the substrate is spawned at 3% of wet weight basis, put into polypropylene bags and incubated for 25-30 days at 30-40oC for spawn run. After spawn run is completed, the bag is opened from mouth.
The spawn run straw blocks are put on racks. The blocks/bags are then cased with sterilized casing soil as done in button mushroom cultivation. The humidity in the cropping room is maintained by sprinkling water on bags, floor and even walls, 2-3 times a day. Aeration is given for 1-2 hrs daily. Mushrooms will appear within 15-20 days, which can be harvested after attaining good size. Bags of 10 Kg wet weight are the standard sized used and 3 Kg of dry straw makes into 10 Kg bags after wetting. The yields on an average is about 2-2.5 Kg of fresh mushrooms.

Someone from Haryana here :smirk:

--------------------
Looking for: Volvariella volvacea, Panaeolus Cyanescens and rare edibles. Trades are welcome!

Edited by wizard2k (08/31/04 03:09 PM)

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

#3081470 - 09/02/04 05:34 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

At www.mycoweb.com
I have found this picture of an edible Tricholomas (calocybe) growing in a Garden in Thailand:
(Photo ? Taylor F. Lockwood)

Edit: Could it be that this species is Tricholoma crassum (Macrocybe crassum)?

Edited by ragadinks (09/02/04 06:36 AM)

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
    #3081619 - 09/02/04 06:44 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Great that you tried to clone it; do you have any idea, why it didn't work?

I don't know. It just didn't take off on agar.

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Some new names in edible mushroom cultivation [Re: zeronio]
    #3097844 - 09/06/04 02:19 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Speeker has found this picture of cultivated Lyophyllum decastes at this site:

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

#3097879 - 09/06/04 02:31 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Another quite unknown edible that can be cultivated is Fistulina hepatica ("Beefsteak Polypore" or the "Ox Tongue").

Anyone ever tried this one ?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures