Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNHansen
Stranger
Loc: Upstate New York
Quick question
    #3040408 - 08/23/04 05:08 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Say I find a certain mushroom I would like to pick. I pick it, ID it and it turns out to be edible (or active, or how about non-poisonous :grin:). Now, do the same mushrooms continue to grow in that place? Can I pick all of the mushrooms there and come back for more? How often do they keep popping up? Can I leave a cap there so the spores make more mushrooms? This part always confused me. Thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Quick question [Re: NHansen]
    #3040424 - 08/23/04 05:17 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, mushrooms will fruit from the same place untill one(or more) of 3 things happens:
1. The growing conditions change too dramatically(drop in temp or humidity).
2. The fungus that produces the mushroom exhausts it's supply of nutrients; ie: decomposes a log 100%.
3. You over pick the patch, or otherwise damage the mycelial network. Walking on a patch does great damage to the patch, avoid it if possible.

In order to preseve a patch it's been suggested that you cut the mushrooms with scissors. Ripping them out of the ground harms the mycelium and leaves it open to infection.
Another thing you can do in interest of patch preservation is only take older mushrooms. If the veil(provided the mushroom you are picking has a veil) has broken, then the mushroom will produce and release thousands of spores per hour. In other words, don't pick young mushrooms; let them grow out and do their thing befor you take them home.

Also thought I might add that regardless of what some people will tell you, tapping the caps is useless. Mushrooms eject spores once they are "made," tapping the cap doesn't speed things up.

Edited by Gumby (08/23/04 05:19 PM)

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
    #3040426 - 08/23/04 05:19 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Mushrooms are fruits. Pick away; they will return. How long it takes depends on the species. Its best to only pick the ones you are going to use. Animals and bugs eat wild mushrooms and spread their spores around.

Offlinejhon
FriggenFudge

#3040428 - 08/23/04 05:19 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Well heres a quick reply if you found lets say Panaelous Subbaltaetus in some horse shit ina farm then you go back ina week and theres a bunch more mushrooms just check and see if they are the same, they most likely would be considering that a spore from subbal landed there, but to make sure just check on here, but a flat out answer to your question is most liekly yes they will continue to grow in that area if a positive tested mushroom is found there but check always to make sure.
Sorry wasnt to quick

Offlinethearmedforces
Disco Shroomerat 4:20

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: Quick question [Re: jhon]
    #3041652 - 08/23/04 09:51 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Shroomydan: I believe the animal eating mushrooms and spreading spores only applies to a select few animals without stomach acid (i.e. cows). I could be wrong so please feel free to correct me.

--------------------

"It is only those who do nothing who make no mistakes."
-Peter Kropotkin

Offlinearray
diehard confederate
Female User Gallery

Loc: ya moms trailer park
Re: Quick question [Re: thearmedforces]
    #3041688 - 08/23/04 09:58 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Wouldnt it depend on if the animal drags the shrooms around, or takes pieces back to its nest or whatever? Or even just by touching them, spores will stick to the bug or animal.

Offlinesuperblingtheory
ghettogepetto

Loc: Omnipresent
Re: Quick question [Re: array]
    #3041764 - 08/23/04 10:12 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I think the points to observe cheifly lay within the bounds of mycelium/damage and nutrients/depletion, as stated somewhar above... You're not gonna wipe out a species or anything by picking away at a patch- just be resoursefull and responsable and use what you need to use- I think patch preservation may apply to Weilii pretty well though season to season- if you want to preserve a patch near you or that is relatively safe. As for cubes, or boletes, or subbs, or chantrelles- or whatever there exists no special need for patch preservation for personal safety in reasonable amounts or for convenience- fuck that- pick away- but be considerate like Gumby said! Let em' work- Let 'em live (You've seen the signs). I, for instance, will pick hillsides clear of chantrelles three times a year- same hill, and next year- something amazing happens- they are there again! They are quite prolific. For cubes you have no need at all to pick carefully- just don't be a greedy triphead- hell that's just good sense to combat bad karma. Okay- so where'd my last Miller High Life go?

--------------------

Guts and danger, Airborne Ranger...

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: Quick question [Re: thearmedforces]
    #3041908 - 08/23/04 10:38 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Every time a fungus gnat maggot or a little black beetle crawls across the gills of a mushroom, that bug picks up spores and flies or crawls away, usually to another place that is suitable for mushroom growth. Every time a wood pecker digs into a rotten log and eats one of these spore covered beetles it caries spores to the next rotting log. I think gnats are the propagation process used by mushrooms which grow on other mushrooms, like lobsters and parasitic bolets. I also read somewhere that P. azurescens spores were found to first colonize mouse turds and then spread to wood chips in the wild.

With cow shit mushrooms the adaptation is more profound. Psilocybes and pans produce heavy spore prints on nearby grass; cow eats grass; spores are thoroughly  mixed with :wink:pasteurized:smirk: substrate, and then deposited in the same environment as the mushroom from which they came.

When i pick mushrooms, I only pick the young ones. The edibles are more tender and tasty, and the actives are more potent. I leave the big speadout ones to do their thing with the bugs and the birds and the mice.

Peace

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates